PDA

View Full Version : MacTel Update

philsphlop
08-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Hello All,

The following is from Matt Hoffman, copied from our EI Forum.

It's been a few months since I posted about the port of EIAS to MacTel and I thought I would update you all on our progress.

Animator was moved to the Mach-O container format and successfully compiled and linked in CodeWarrior. Then we
created an XCode project for Animator and began making code changes to accommodate the GCC compiler. This is now
complete and Animator compiles, links and runs in XCode for PPC and Intel. Now we need to begin an exhaustive test.

Renderama and Renderama Slave have likewise been moved to XCode with successful compilation and linking finishing
up this week.

Camera is next on the list for the XCode move. We saved it for last because it will be the easiest of the apps to move.

EIAS' Plug-ins and Shaders have been moved to XCode. They run in the Mach-O Animator under PPC. We will be
testing them under the Intel processor very soon.

In summary, the port to MacTel is going well. It is ahead of schedule and a number of the larger problems we feared would
arise, have in fact, not shown up at all.

I will post more information as we get closer to release.

My Best,
Phil Martin
EI Technology Group, LLC

halfworld
08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Exceptional news :)

Cheers Phil, and many congrats go to Blair et al for doing such a speedy job :D

Roll on 7!
Ian

Vizfizz
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Yes.. this is wonderful news. Very, very cool indeed.

manuel
08-03-2006, 09:31 PM
In summary, the port to MacTel is going well. It is ahead of schedule and a number of the larger problems we feared would
arise, have in fact, not shown up at all.
Sounds to me like someone is tempting fate here :)
Still, it's good to hear everything is going so well.

juanxer
08-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I wonder if they'd be able to comment on how xCode's compiler compares to CodeWarrior's, and whether they could be able to take advantage of those supposedly amazing Intel compilers for MacTel or not. What they do expect speed-wise for the final product release.

Also, will this be a difficult transition for plugin and shader developers?

matthoff
08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Eventually we will be able to comment on the difference between Xcode's GCC compiler and the Metrowerks compiler. But we need to get further along the porting road first.

It doesn't look like plug-in or shader developers will have much difficulty moving. The hardest part is just dealing with XCode instead of CodeWarrior.

juanxer
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
At WWDC, Apple has just announced that OS X 10.5 Leopard will provide 64bit versions of all APIs, including Carbon. Even if a 64bit EIAS is just a nebulous proposition, one hopes that a 64bit Carbon API will help EITG if they ever decide to produce a 64bit version of their multiplatform code :)

MagicEgger
08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Ola,

Great news Matt and Phil.
EIAS on the road.

Tomas Egger

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.