PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding pixelation once and for all

CarlCampbell
01-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone!

Well, after my recent "discovery" of vector art, the thought of it being resolution independent (did I say that right?) totally blew me away.
Many great designs the past few months, some containing details ever so small and that don't even show a hint of pixelation. My question is, whats the workaround? How can you make tiny little details without showing pixelation? I mean, if you increase the DPI, the actual size of the image changes so thats no good really... What the best resolution to work at for say, a webpage and give no pixelation?

Carl :beer:

Iain McFadzen
01-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Err....I don't get you

Monitors display pixels, so the smallest detail you can possibly display on a monitor is a single pixel. That is as true for a vector displayed on a monitor as for a rasterised image. So long as an image isn't scaled in any way you will always get a 1 image pixel to one display pixel ratio, and that's all there is to it.

Also, DPI is a print setting, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with digital images displayed on a screen. It is a meanigless term as far as your question is concerned.

CarlCampbell
01-22-2003, 04:49 PM
sorry, I meant to say "pixels/inch" :shrug:

Carl:beer:

fig
01-22-2003, 05:55 PM
a monitor displays 72ppi so there's no point in doing anything at a res larger than that for web work. you're right in that technically all that matters is your actual pixel dimensions, dpi is just giving the file specifications on how it would be printed. for print work it ranges from 150dpi or so (for bigger formatted media like posters, and for that you can prob even go to a lower dpi) to 300dpi on up for other print work.

chris

blankslatejoe
01-23-2003, 05:45 AM
At my old work we used 600 for type, 150-300 for print, 72 for web or video.

Vector art sure is addictive!Sadly, it will always be viewed at some resolution, whether through the 72dpi monitor or the 300dpi printer. Only the computer can see it as formulars and math. We need pixels still.

---actually.... wait.... that's not so true, a design teacher showed the class some REALLY neat electronic paper today. It was like a thin, laminated sheet of paper that displayed things in old game boy color, but supposably it had no resolution, and was based only on electrons. (so... subatomic resolution?). It also animated, right in front of your face.

Maybe the age of pixels is ending?

Here's a link www.eink.com, its like something from that subway scene in minority report (with updating newspapers/billboards).

dg
01-29-2003, 02:29 AM
Work in the final size, sometimes you got to edit 1 pixel level of a graphic for him to achieve a good aspect on the monitor. The worst cases are those transparent gif buttons with rounded border.
Be carefull with antialias in text and tiny graphics.

See Ya! ;-)

dg
01-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Monitors have diferent resulution types, so you can't always say that a monitor resolution is 72dpi.

Monitors are a tricky thing if you think, so don't bother your head too much for this thing....what matters is that you are working at pixels not dpi, just keep your files small as possible!

See Ya!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.