PDA

View Full Version : Luxology modo 202 released, evaluation version also available

Mike RB
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
go here: http://www.luxology.com/

http://www.luxology.com/images/home/splash_modo202.jpg

Mike RB
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I created a test scene to compare rendering improvements at 1280x960
rendered on a AMD x2 4400 with 2 threads. Render time went up a little in 202, but the quality improvement is outstanding.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=9773

jorust
08-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Great news. :thumbsup:

Gwot
08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Nice list of additions and refinements for such a quick update since the full 201 release too.

Shell/Thicken tool, UV pinning for the relax tool, UV overlap highlighting, additional tool properties for customizing the transform tool handles, select through toggle, Image Ink transform handles, object to object normal map baking... there's more that I'm forgetting, but that's a nice chunk of features to add in addition to bug fixes and stabilization efforts.

I'm curious to see how the new card view system evolves from here as well. Seems like it could be put to some powerful uses within the UI.

phlewp
08-02-2006, 07:46 PM
I created a test scene to compare rendering improvements at 1280x960
rendered on a AMD x2 4400 with 2 threads. Render time went up a little in 202, but the quality improvement is outstanding.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=9773

I just did a test render of my own version of the Cornell box in 201 and 202, using the same exact settings, and I've got about a 50% increase in speed in 202. Also, the geometry and irradiance cache in 202 seems to take about half the memory in 201. The IC looks much better in 202. As does the reflection blurring, with the same samples. Much smoother in 202 with less grain than in 201. Of course, this is just a quick test, so I don't presume to think that 202 will always render 50% faster.

JacquesD
08-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes definitely great improvements in such a short time!

Jacques.

CaptainObvious
08-03-2006, 02:12 AM
I've gotten MUCH better details in corners and other such areas in 202 than 201. No more floatiness! :D

onlooker
08-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Great! I passed on the early upgrade price from 103 to 201 which I regret. I'm glad to see I can evaluate it now though, which is what I wanted to begin with. :thumbsup:

TwinSnakes
08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Finally, something to shout about.

Chango
08-04-2006, 10:37 PM
go here: http://www.luxology.com/

http://www.luxology.com/images/home/splash_modo202.jpg

Nice swedish cop-car! - I don't want to see that in my rear-view mirror though! :scream:

mrwilt
08-05-2006, 02:31 AM
I tell you what's got me almost purchasing modo is the ability to add or delete vertices/polygons to your morph targets and not lose any of the blendshape information. Try adding or deleting vertices/polys to your morph targets in max or maya and you've effectively killed it. Way cool.

punchatz
08-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I tell you what's got me almost purchasing modo is the ability to add or delete vertices/polygons to your morph targets and not lose any of the blendshape information. Try adding or deleting vertices/polys to your morph targets in max or maya and you've effectively killed it. Way cool.

If that's the kind of functionality you are looking for you might want to check out XSI. Modo is looking way cool but its far from a complete animation package. Those morphs will do you no good if you cant animate with them. XSI lets you do the add and delete points and poly's thing but not just with shapes but with enveloping (skinning of bones), weight maps, UVs and just about every thing else.

I wish XSI had modo's paint (or even better BodyPaints) but if your looking for a nonlinear work flow you might want to have a peek. Thats what XSI is all about.

Greg

Mattoo
08-05-2006, 03:05 PM
If that's the kind of functionality you are looking for you might want to check out XSI. Modo is looking way cool but its far from a complete animation package. Those morphs will do you no good if you cant animate with them. XSI lets you do the add and delete points and poly's thing but not just with shapes but with enveloping (skinning of bones), weight maps, UVs and just about every thing else.

I wish XSI had modo's paint (or even better BodyPaints) but if your looking for a nonlinear work flow you might want to have a peek. Thats what XSI is all about.

Greg

Lightwave has a similarly non-destructive vertex mapping setup also. UV's, Endomorphs (Blendshapes), bone weights - they all stay put no matter how much abuse you give the model.

Lone Deranger
08-05-2006, 06:01 PM
It would be nice if Softimage (or perhaps Avid?) would take a bit more of a liberal stance platform wise like Luxology does. XSI on OSX = :love:

Greg

Opelfruits
08-05-2006, 08:12 PM
i tried the renderer and i wasnt too impressed, i liked the speed using the irr cache, but i didnt like the quality, but when you turn off the irr cache you get 10x more quality, but its also 10x slower.

if lux could cross breed the irr cache with the qmc they could have great render engine. or just make the qmc faster.

even with high settings something about the lighting just doesnt look right compared to the qmc.

Ariel
08-05-2006, 10:13 PM
I love the demo. So far im having a blast with Modo's awesome selection system and fast UV tools. From a game development standpoint I would love to see Lux remove the edge smoothing properties from the material section and into the mesh properties. Right now I don't see a way to selectively tag edges as soft or hard. Also for texturing, it would be nice to have texture icons next to the difuse, color, tranparency, etc.. properties of a material to quickly know if they are mapped to a texture or not (sort of how maya and xsi have a litttle connection icon next to their numeric inputs/sliders).

Overall, the program feels great and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I'd still like to see some changes before I decide wether i'll want to jump on board or not, but I think that Luxology is going in the right direction (appart from making Modo so freaking expensive!!)

Mattoo
08-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeh, the old fashioned surface based Lightwave style edge smoothing is an odd thing to keep. Not at all good for games. But then it's not too much of a problem because those tags wouldn't translate via FBX or OBJ anyway - it's unlikely a company would write their model exporter around Modo anyway.

mech7
08-05-2006, 11:52 PM
:deal:I wish they recorded their demo movies at a low resolution.. it's pretty much sucks to watch them on my laptop as its the same size.

Ariel
08-05-2006, 11:56 PM
But then it's not too much of a problem because those tags wouldn't translate via FBX or OBJ anyway

But they would (or should) when using .ma for Maya ;)

leuey
08-06-2006, 07:11 AM
That's a good idea - or maybe even just change the color of the field to orange or something like that.

-Greg

Also for texturing, it would be nice to have texture icons next to the difuse, color, tranparency, etc.. properties of a material to quickly know if they are mapped to a texture or not (sort of how maya and xsi have a litttle connection icon next to their numeric inputs/sliders).

R10k
08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I wish they recorded their demo movies at a low resolution.. it's pretty much sucks to watch them on my laptop as its the same size.

If you're under windows grab Media Player Classic... you can play them at any size you want.

I have to say, I'm having a great time with the demo. I actually love the rendering quality, and it seems quite fast in the areas which bog down most other renderers. But, there are always the odd 'Modo quirks', like the built-in fruity UI designer (which I still can't figure out- even after watching tons of videos about it) and other things like the preferences vanishing from the preferences window... and then somehow appearing again for no apparent reason.

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.