PDA

View Full Version : Meshtools for MAX5

Egyt
01-22-2003, 07:09 AM
I've been trying to get started on meshtools, I downloaded meshtools 2.5 (newest I could find) and installed it as it said in the txt. When I edit the custom UI to add a menu with all the meshtools feratures. It looks like the picture I attatched, alot features beeing lost in the menus.

First off, does this script work with max5?

Second what is the best way to add to the UI, I would prefer a graphical look like the editable poly or alike.

Dave Black
01-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Meshtools 2.5 WILL work fine with Max 5.

I too like a combination of the icons and right-click menu comands. It's easier to show my co-workers how to tools work when the icons are visible.

This is what I do:

Create a new toolbar.

I can't really make out the pic you attached, but you should just be able to go to the meshtools category and add the icons to the new toolbar like usual...

But then...I know you have added them to a drop-down menu...and I have'nt done that before. But worst-case, you could do it that way. Hope someone else knows how to do it your way.

-3DZ

:D

Egyt
01-22-2003, 09:19 AM
They way I did it was a terrible way to do it ^^. I went for the panel you told me about and it looks better I must say.

What i was wondering about, was why not all features was displayed in the drop down menu, but I figured out that i had to be in different modes and so on to enable them all. I though them was to be shaded when not supported atm but they disappeared entirely.

(They are shadaded when not available in the toolbar but not in a dropdown menu).

I guess I'll be hitting the meshtools tutorials today, expect to see more of me today ^^.

Thanks 3dZ! :D

Wampa
01-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Meshtools work only with poly model. You must convert object to editable Poly and try select edge and some functions will be avaible.

gaggle
01-22-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm not entirely sure with MeshTools, but some of these modeling-scripts needs to be in quads to function properly.. hm, I think.
I remember a few functions of some of those poly-modeling scripts that had to go there, the rest I placed in their own toolbar. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that.

I kinda like the idea of creating a whole new menu-item for new stuff, as you did it (although meshtools specifically might not like that as you mention). It's a sort of Maya-inspired approch I guess.

Off topic-ish, but personally I like putting single-button scripts into the already existing menus, makes it seem like MAX has always had the ability to generate characters from dummies (http://www.comet-cartoons.com), or paint pepples and grass :) (http://maxres.cgworks.com/scripts/)

Wampa
01-22-2003, 01:47 PM
I have Meshtools in Tab panel and run well.

Robbert
01-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Meshmooth 3.0 is already released?
i have meshtools in the menu bar.
but most options are already in max5

ToddD
01-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Robbert, meshtools 3 come on the second disk when you get max.:wavey:

Wampa
01-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Robbert
Meshmooth 3.0 is already released?
i have meshtools in the menu bar.
but most options are already in max5

Wooov. I have Max 5 2 CDs and I donīt know there is Meshtools 3. Very very good news. I must explore second CD. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Dave Black
01-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Don't bother.

Meshtools 3 is pretty much a watered down version of 2.5

No new features.

Less actually.

-3DZ

:D

gaggle
01-23-2003, 09:20 AM
A theory:

Meshtool 3.0 features the same functionality as found in 2.5, only with the overlapping features between it and MAX5 removed?

I haven't tried it myself (I too must go take a closer look on that 2nd disc), it just seems odd if they've actually removed features.

Ah, idunno, at least if we bitch enough about missing features maybe the author will take notice and add them :)

stillvapour
01-23-2003, 04:31 PM
In fact ,some other scripts like cspolytools and mapolytools are based on some functions of meshtools2.5.They can't work with meshtools3.0.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.