PDA

View Full Version : Known Issues in 9.51e and workarounds

Commiekeebler
01-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Here's something useful for AM users that HASH mailing list can't provide due to censorship.

Let's all post the bugs we find and how to work around them, if we got solutions.

This thread will deal with 9.51e, as the last 'official' version before all this version 10 alpha and beta nonsense. For those of you, who, like me, lost all faith in Hash and decided to upgrade no more. I'm sure somone else will start a similar thread for versions 8.5p+ and the current version 10.

I'll start us off with known issues in version 9.51e. Known to me, and most known to Hash also. God, if he/she/it exists, knows I've reported plenty of those, with mixed results.

Commiekeebler
01-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Bug:
Transparency / Refraction math error. In 9.51e transparent materials are hopelessly broke. This can result in weird artifacts, and alteration of underlying color. For example, my character's eyes like to turn pink, chrome, purple, anything but blue.

Workaround:
You can do final renders of your production/animation in the latest beta of version 10 (that is still keyed to your 9.51e CD). It might be time-locked (run out after a few months or weeks?) and if it does you'll have to reset your computer's clock a few months back to get the renders out. You can also try to alter the colors in post.

Bug:
Sound doesn't play in the choreography after reloading a project. Even though the sound wave graphic is present, when you press the play button, nothing comes out of the speakers.

Workaround:
delete the sound from the choreography (but make sure you write on a sheet of paper the offset values, clips, duration, etc). Drag the sound back from the Sounds tab into the choreography, use those values to put it in the proper place. The sound will work find until you have to reload the project (then you'll have to repeat this workaround to hear it again). Note: the sound may still work fine in the rendered movie even if it didn't in the choreography.

Bug:
Copy and paste keyframe slows down the FPS of your choreography or action to 1 frame per second or even slower.

Workaround:
save project, close project, reload. The FPS is back to normal (if you have sounds tho, you'll have to delete them and put them back in to hear them again).

Hookflash
01-22-2003, 05:34 AM
Cylindrical mapping with decals in A:M 9.51e is just plain broken. I sent them a bug report, and, at my request, they confirmed that it was indeed a bug. It was still broken in the last 10.0 beta I used. I don't believe there are any workarounds, aside from not using cylindrical mapping;).

walasek
01-22-2003, 05:58 AM
Hmm, what exactly is broken about it. I've been trying it out (never knew it existed before today) on 10.0b and it "seems" to be working... but again, I just started playing with it today.

Hookflash
01-22-2003, 06:15 AM
walasek: Maybe they fixed it in 10.0b. Basically, in 9.51e, the decal doesn't wrap around properly when viewed from the back. It's difficult to explain, but it *is* a confirmed bug. Or, was.

JB
01-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Bug: A:M CD when tossed as a frisbee towards trash can refuses to land in said can.

Workaround: Carry CD to trash can, place firmly into said can and breathe sigh of relief. :beer: ;) :p

Natess44
01-22-2003, 06:53 AM
I find that if you don't save tons of backups in version 9.51e especially if your doing animation with A:M the prj file gets corrupted. But I it might be due to the embedded objects in my prj files.

walasek
01-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Hookflash
walasek: Maybe they fixed it in 10.0b. Basically, in 9.51e, the decal doesn't wrap around properly when viewed from the back. It's difficult to explain, but it *is* a confirmed bug. Or, was.

I think I've found the bug. If I try to cylindrically unwrap a cylinder, there seems to be an extra uv mapped spline, and the uv map does quite exactly work. If I dont map the entire cylinder (as is the example on the tutorial), perhaps I leave out the back of the cylinder, then there isn't the problem.

It seems to arise if the thing that you are unwrapping is connected at the back...

Ben Lumumba
01-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Max_Power
Bug: A:M CD when tossed as a frisbee towards trash can refuses to land in said can.

Workaround: Carry CD to trash can, place firmly into said can and breathe sigh of relief. :beer: ;) :p

I like
I love
I kiss you
Oh man
AAAAAAAAAAAmeeeeeeeeeeeeeennn

helelujah

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.