PDA

View Full Version : Need modelers for 3D RPG

Apocalypse
01-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, so might as well make it as best I can. :)

I'm currently working on a 3D RPG which will be similar to Final Fantasy Tactics/Ogre Tactics/Ogre Battle. The name we have come up with so far(not final) is Crimson Skies, but that was a while ago.

Anyways, the game will be programmed in OpenGL, but the problem is, I need someone skilled in 3D modelling. The types of models I'm looking for a humans(like knights, wizards, archer, etc), Demons(gorgons, ogres, etc), Undead(skeletons, liches, vampires, etc) and dragons of various types.

Now, before someone thinks I'm asking too much, the only part that will be totally 3D in my game will be the world map, the battle map, and the city maps(basically all the maps in the game, dungeons included). In these maps, the only animations the character will be doing is a standing and walking animation. The battle will be 3D isometric, not full 3D, so technically the battle animations can be done in photoshop, but the map animations need to be done in 3D. So basically, I only need a 3D modeler for the standing and walking animations of the characters. Oh, and Maya or 3D Studio Max modelers I would need, since I'm unsure if other 3D programs can export models as .obj files(to load into OpenGL). Not sure if LightWave can do it.

Anyone interested? Or do I need to post more information. If you're unsure of how the game is going to be, you can read up on the general idea of the Ogre Battle 64 game, since it will have a similar structure to it.

Thanks in advance. :)

vertex
01-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi Apocalypse just a quick note, Crimson Skies was a flying sim brought out under the microsoft banner a couple of years ago.
Vertex

Apocalypse
01-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by vertex
Hi Apocalypse just a quick note, Crimson Skies was a flying sim brought out under the microsoft banner a couple of years ago.
Vertex

Hmm, didn't know that...guess I'll have to change that name. I thought the name was good to forbode the coming of war and armageddon, but unfortunately it's taken.

Thanks for the notification.

Edit: So no one is interested? I actually got a few people to join in the modelling from others forums a few days ago, so I may not need anything right now at the moment.

Shadowsdancing
01-23-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm interested... I work with 3d max right now along with supporting software... It would take awhile to get a working model. Do you need it to be rigged (bones and such)??

Apocalypse
01-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Shadowsdancing
I'm interested... I work with 3d max right now along with supporting software... It would take awhile to get a working model. Do you need it to be rigged (bones and such)??

That's the thing, they are going to be very simple. If you've played FF7, then you would know that their models were not very detailed. I don't really need anything anymore detailed than that.

Since my game will be similar to OB64, and since I will only require 3d models for the maps, they should look something a little better than this:

http://www.mancy.net/~apoc_demon/snap0004.gif

Just alot more detailed, since I"m going to be putting alot of height maps and the like in the maps, and make it fully rotational.

The battle itself will be 3d isometric, thus only photoshop would be required for the battle. Here's an example of Ogre Battle's battle screenshot:

http://www.mancy.net/~apoc_demon/snap0012.gif

So in other words, the only reason I need a 3d model is for the maps, which should be a bit more detailed than the ones in the first screenshot. Then, the battle characters in a battle don't need to be 3D, since it's isometric(and I didn't want to spend a year making every attacking animation for everyone of my 100 different character classes). The battle sprites are doable in photoshop.

Since dragons and most beasts will not be seen in the world map(reasoning is behind the way I designed the game), then there is no need to make any models of dragons and stuff. However, if anyone here is good at photoshop and wants to make any sprites for dragons(like a multiheaded Hydra, red dragon, dragon wraith, etc) then that could be good. I'm holding off on the battle sprites for the humans, because I'm unsure if I will be making it so that their appearance changes if they put different armors. If so, then it would require a bit different planning to do that(perhaps sprites of the actual armors and piecing them all together into a human)?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.