PDA

View Full Version : how did u guys start modeling your character?

konakus
08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
i'm maya user and been using it for years now but i still can't find myself make a quick modelling especially organic character ..so i wonder if u guys can give me a good suggestion

i usually start modelling a character from the head without any backdrop image or references ..
i\ve tried so manya way to make a quick modeling ... box modelling is not one of them anyway ..cause i really think it har to keep topology flow and i usually end up with too many polygons if i use box modelling ...so i try poly-poly ...this is easier to keep topology but i found it really hard to keep porpotion and shape ... i alway start from the eyes area ..then keep extruding the edges but as i said .. shape and propotion is wrong ....

so i really want to know your guys start to model the head ..

hope u know what i mean ..i\ll post my pic later

thanks in advance

rastko
08-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi

I think box modeling is hard only in beginning, you need to practice & practice & practice :), In beginning I work "poly by poly" and now from time to time I use that technique, but I think it's easier to control your mesh/to keep good topology when work from box.

you already have one thread started, take a look - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=368530

benclark
08-02-2006, 02:56 PM
You say you have trouble keeping getting the proportions correct in the head but you prefix that by saying that dont use reference pictures. Thats your problem right there

I usually dont use front and side references for modeling the body but I wouldnt dream of trying to model a character without face references to go on. All it takes on a face is for a few verts to be out and it is instantly noticable.

As for the box modeling vs pointbypoint thing its pointless trying to say which is better, it just comes down to personal preference. I use a mixture. Usually point by point for the facial area and box model the skull then integrate them

Keep practicing mate, you'll get better with every head

Gremlin
08-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I use poly by poly...starting with the nose and eye--box modeling seems so backwards to me; I can't set up the proportions and a simple topology just to rework it almost completely...models seem to have less flow that way for me. :shrug:

konakus
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
how to post the picture in this forum ...

MagnumCort
08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
I always use reference for the head/face. I start with the eye and the mouth going poly by poly (edge extrusions). The very first method that made any sense to me was the Joan-of-Arc tutorial by Michel Roger in the Max section at 3DTotal. Even though I use Maya, the tutorial translates over from Max pretty easily.

http://67.15.36.49/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Best Regards,

Fudge
08-03-2006, 04:36 PM
from my experience it isnt too good of an idea to use reference directly in your 3d progra, so you are tracing it, i have found this can give good results but when you come to model somthing not human or do not have reference pictures for, you will become lost.
what i would recommend is get some images on hand and refer to them while modeling but dont trace them.

i hope this will aid you in your quest:D.

maya-3d
08-03-2006, 09:47 PM
hey i use poly to poly method its great but true even if you have a refrence image the propotions are very very hard to get ive been practicing intensivly this week and its getting easier by the second just keep practicing and dont stop till someone hit you on the head with the cpu :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2006, 09:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.