PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis: untitled wip

jhuerta
08-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Here's my shot at the challenge. The image is still in transition, so any crits or comments are welcome. I'm going for a recently sunk Atlantis, doomed by volcanic activity. There are some amazing images here, it's great to see the many takes on this subject.

Good Luck everyone!

jhuerta
08-04-2006, 12:10 AM
I tried to better integrate the elements from the last painting. I think it is more successful than the last version. If I had another week.... lol!

jhuerta
08-04-2006, 09:46 PM
So, leave a monkey in a room with Photoshop too long, and.... He'll keep noodling the graphic to death. Anyway, had a little more time, so I added some more detail, texture etc.

jhuerta
08-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Final with title.

jhuerta
08-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Various reference photos used, and some close up detail.

mordecaidesign
08-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Great job. Good luck to you man. I wish you would've had more time to finish this.
Something that I found helpful with my matte was de-saturating my brick and stone elements so that I didn't have too much stray color all over the place. I think if you would have done that then you could have applied adjustment layers later and came up with a more uniform look. Your lave looks just luke-warm. Try adjusting the levels on that layer to burn out the bright spots to make it glare a bit more.

jhuerta
08-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the input! I agree with you, it is splotchy in places. I'll probably continue to work on it just for kicks. Yeah, the lava was a beast, I was trying to think how it would look underwater... I'll try giving the glow more intensity. Thanks again for the advice!
I really like your entry! Great sense of drama and staging. Nicely done!

Moysh
08-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Potential idea and composition-wise makes rooms for many details and improvements.
The color for the broken sculpture in the foreground and the 4 statues far in the background need to be more blueish to be cohesive with the hue of the rest of the painting.

Good luck! :)

jhuerta
08-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, I think the color of the statues isn't working with the rest of the compostion. There is much yet to do I think. Thank you for the suggestions, it really helps me to improve my work!

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2006, 08:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.