PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia: The new SGI?

Array
08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/01/nvidia_unveils_quadro_plex/

Looks like they are going head-on after the scientific visualization and broadcast markets.

Kaostick
08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
So, ATI is going to have their chips integrated into AMD cpus, and Nvidia is leaving the case altogether. :D

DanielD
08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I really don't get the title of this topic NVidia the new CGI? I mean what the hell are you smoking...

Array
08-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I really don't get the title of this topic NVidia the new CGI? I mean what the hell are you smoking...

1) You misread the topic. I clearly wrote SGI.

2) Perhaps you can be a bit more polite? This is a professional forum.

DanielD
08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
1) You misread the topic. I clearly wrote SGI.

2) Perhaps you can be a bit more polite? This is a professional forum.

1) OK, typo on my part, the new SGI? What do you mean? Because they have a product directed at the scientific visualization market they are the new SGI (a company that build super computers and yes also has scientific visualization products) like dozens of other companies do, companies like toshiba, samsung, etc... i did not get it, what is your point?

2) Sorry about that, what the "heck" are you smoking?...

daart
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Seems to be an incredible fast solution!

Array
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
1) OK, typo on my part, the new SGI? What do you mean? Because they have a product directed at the scientific visualization market they are the new SGI (a company that build super computers and yes also has scientific visualization products) like dozens of other companies do, companies like toshiba, samsung, etc... i did not get it, what is your point?

Not just scientific visualization....If you read the link you would have seen this little morsel:

The Model III has two SDI (Serial Digital Interface) boards for broadcast-quality HD TV work.

This is something that has traditionally been a staple of SGI's product lineup.

2) Sorry about that, what the "heck" are you smoking?...

Regardless, you are still insinuating that I am in some way imparied. There is an item in the forum rules regarding specifically this kind of behavior. It reads as follows:

- Crude, derogatory, inappropriate, or disrespectful remarks aimed at any individual(s)
Offensive or unnecessarily abrasive comments directed at any individual are not tolerated in any form. These include anything from personal vendettas to unnecessarily insulting comments directed at the work of any individual. Critiques of work displayed should not include unnecessarily derogatory remarks (whether aimed at the user or the work itself) in any form.

DanielD
08-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Not just scientific visualization....If you read the link you would have seen this little morsel:

This is something that has traditionally been a staple of SGI's product lineup.

Regardless, you are still insinuating that I am in some way imparied. There is an item in the forum rules regarding specifically this kind of behavior. It reads as follows:

Well i don't see it how this makes nvidia the next sgi... if it was something like "NVidia biting SGI market" or "nvidia giving sgi a run for its money in sci. visualization", or something that restricted the scope of the news i think it would have been allot better, than nvidia the next sgi? (it looks like a tabloid news title)... so i hope you take this hint from me and next time be a little more descriptive about subject lines...

Hum... don't take it personally it is a sarcastic comment that i have seen in these same forums many times, wend the subject topic does not quite match the news, if you fell offended accept my apologies it was not my intention to offend you, or bring down the quality of the forums...

I have seen comments of the same colorful type on other threads, i thought it was common usage, like saying stuff like "this is cool".

thomaspecht
08-01-2006, 11:25 PM
isn't nvidia largely made up of ex-sgi staff? in that regard they probably ARE the rebirth of said company :)

Nando
08-01-2006, 11:55 PM
isn't nvidia largely made up of ex-sgi staff? in that regard they probably ARE the rebirth of said company :)

Yes, thats exactly what I was going to say, so Nvidia has been SGI for sometime now.

Some of the the DEC alpha people went to AMD then. *just in case folks need to know about them.

Thalaxis
08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Yes, thats exactly what I was going to say, so Nvidia has been SGI for sometime now.

Well, nVidia has a lot of people from companies like 3Dfx and exLuna also, so they're not just a bunch of ex-SGI folks. They also just acquired SiS, IIRC. However, this is still a step toward what SGI used to be, and it's ironically well-timed shortly after SGI discontinued the Prism.

and the DEC alpha people went to AMD, just in case folks need to know about them.

That's incorrect, the majority of them stayed together and joined Intel, and are presently working on compilers and the next-generation Itanium processors. AMD got a few high profile members of the Alpha team, but not a large percentage of them. There are also several ex-Alpha team members who founded a fabless semico company that announced a PowerPC processor with some impressive performance and low power consumption specs.

deepcgi
08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
NVidia has SGI's DNA. SGI failed to make architectural and marketing decisions that NVidia knew to be future-safe. The King is dead, long live the King.

Fede
08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
who cares if they have ex SGI employees or not, as long as it's a good product and will help me make better and more cost effective visuals in shorter time.

I wonder what price range they will shoot this at.

parallax
08-02-2006, 08:32 AM
You all know what this means....

The rebirth of S3!

;)

kaiser_pro
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
they are a bit vague on how its connected, "across a network" does that mean ethernet link? something else?

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.