PDA

View Full Version : Input on this study Thoery?

Rist
08-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I have been reading a book by Tony and Barry Buzan on Mind Maps. And I was just wondering, could I try and incorperate all the sences that someone uses to learn something? Here they are:

1: Language
- Words
- Symbols

2: Number

3: Logic
- Sequence
- Listing
- Linearity
- Analysis
- Time
- Association

4: Rhythm

5: Colour

6: Imagery
- Daydreaming
- Visualisation

7: Spatial Awareness
- Dimension
- Gestalt (whole picture)

Now, learning the anatomy is difficult enough, but if I tried to incorperate most of the above on each of my studies, I am sure to improve the way I learn by a milestone. But how to incorperate them?

Well, I will start off with my thoughts:

Language:

Label the items you are studying, and also maybe make symbols for the major groups. Also write about what there functions are and any other relavent information.

Number:

Number your studies, and even how many muscles are in that limb, same with bones.

Logic:

Do some timed exercises, keep the images in sequence (like the rythme), list all the labels as a Key with numbers linking to the relative part, keep things simple; like keep the drawings neat and in line (your trying to learn, not decorate). analyze your work at the end; looking at where the muscles meet and end, how they are shaped, ad how they work. The books says that the brain works from Associations, so try to connect each of the muscles to an activity that you use that muscle for, or those group of mucles.

Rhythm:

If I make my studies smaller, fit more on a single page, and also linking them (hand to forearm, forearm to upper arm), maybe that will be enough, and also maybe do the same with muscles and bones.

Colour:

Try to do your studies in colours, do one colour as the rough sketch, another to refine, and another to add dimension. Or you could colour code the different muscle groups.

Daydreaming:

After each page, or image, take a break, close your eyes and think of that image you just created, look at the forms, look at the names.

Visualisation:

This comes in the form of actually drawing the study.

Dimension:

Be aware of where each muscle is, within relation to each other.

Gestalt:

It says the brain hates unfinished things, so maybe try and do a faint outline of the other limbs around the study, that arent being focused on. Or atleast try to finish the study, not leaving it incomplete. instead of doing individual muscles in the arm, in detail, before you move on to the next, try to roughly sketch all the selected muscls, that way you have a 'whole' to work from.

Conclusion:

I believe this way would allow me to memorize what I am copying the first time which would give me time to study other areas. So it comes down to this thing called Quality vs. Quantity. If I use quality in this aspect, I believe it will work. I havent tried it yet due to my recent problems in life, but when I do, I am especting to see some kind of change. i will post the results in my Anatomy Topic. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3752755#post3752755)
So, what could you guys add to this?

LadyMedusa
08-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I'd advice you against the logic part, particularly if you're left handed (or your right brain is simply just dominant). They usually finds that rather difficult and complicated.
For me, as a lefty, doing the logics part would only slow me down significally and make me really frustrated, but for you it may work perfectly. Although analyzing the the studies after finishing is a good idea indeed. I think you'll find your errors rather quickly that way and therfore make quicker progress. :)

"Label the items you are studying" reminds me of this thing a friend told me.
"Don't draw what you think you see, draw what you see. Don't think "this is a lip" when drawing a lip"
I personally don't think you should think that much about the subject when drawing.

Rist
08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
The theory on people being either right of left side of the brain, is just that, a theory. I believe anyone can do this, some people just make things more complex than others. I see what you mean by not thinking about what your subject is at the beginning, but think of what it is after the sketch is finished, so that the analyzing is from what you see and not what you are thinking.

Some good crits there, anyone else interested in giving feedback?

Edit: I am dyslexic, and known to be more dominant in the right side of the brain, but if all goes well, then great. But if things go wrong its just as easy to take some of the points away, but still retain things like colour and rythme.

Rist
08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Update, I have tried this method out twice. One way was to make a technique from scratch, which in the end was just tedious due to the complications and limitations. The next was to actually use the Mind Map layout to use your radiant thinking to memorize what you are studying easier and better. the latter worked, I have almost completely memorised how an arm looks, its muscle names, and the dimensions. Its a working method, I will post up in my anatomy thread how it looks. I am thinking of modifying it slightly so that it is easier to identify what names go to which muscles.

I am hoping it will work on all the other limbs too, and also things like learning 3D applications and traditional mediums. i thought the guy that made that book was talking fluff, but it seems to work so far :D

Updates of my next page and also other studies will be found at my anatomy thread (in my sig). Feedback there would be much appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.