PDA

View Full Version : Ff7 Advent Children 3d Modelling Challenge

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Ok listen up i have been looking through out these forums for a long time now searching for the best 3d advent children fanart i can find and honestly im unsatisfied so i decided to hold a contest in honor of the best cg film ever made there its not an official contest but ill be da(beep)ed if im going to let that stop me. (just to get this clear im 16 im in love with 3d modelling and one day im going to be better than all of you the program i use is Maya and im going to fullsail after highschool) So heres the challenge you may pick from any of the ff7 characters you may even post multiple creations give me all youve got however if you have any questions or critisism you must send me a private message me do not post anything less then your progress or your artwork and also i want to see what you can do freehand as well so if you want to post a 3d still or render you must also send me scans (NOT PICTURES, SCANS) of your model sheets in full view and without digital editing unless it was required to make the modelling process easier.(THIS IS A REQUIREMENT I WONT ONLY BE JUDGING THE RENDERS QUALITY BUT ALSO ITS LIKENESS TO THE ORIGINAL IMAGES USED TO MAKE ITYOU CAN ONLY SEND ME THE SCAN THROUGH MY NEW EMAIL ADRESS liquid_yin@yahoo.com (liquid_yin@yahoo.com)) And as for ther dead line i have given it much thought and have made my decision... in order to keep people from taking to long and also to preserve the suspense im not releasing the deadline but dont rush it i want to see your best work however dont put it off for a week cuz you never know when im going to end it and remember this isnt a race its a contest of skill. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon12.gif And finally its required that you describe your models type (nurb,poly...), you may give the poly count if you desire, you must post a list of alll programs used and give credit to those who helped. You may also work in teams but each member of the team must be credited AND WITH ALL THAT SAID MAY YOU USE YOU KNOWLEGE AND SKILL TO YOUR FULL ADVANTAGE TO PROVE ONCE AND FOR ALL WHO THE GREATEST 3D MODELLING FANBOY IS SO LET THE GAME BEGIN :wip: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

fx81
08-01-2006, 03:12 AM
hmm what about those who totally dislike anime?

btw, i think only forum leaders are suppose to start a challenge thread. correct me if i am wrong Roberto.

jasontwyman
08-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Paragraphs and punctuation are your friends.

BenDstraw
08-01-2006, 03:44 AM
just to get this clear im 16 im in love with 3d modelling and one day im going to be better than all of you the program i use is Maya and im going to fullsail after highschool

i really dont like that. you'll never be better than these guys. because at these guys level no one is better than the other. its all about different styles. and different imagination and different visions. you can someday be as good as these guys but in my opinion never better. :wise:

jbacker99
08-01-2006, 07:22 AM
I agree with BenDstraw, how can you be so sure? I'm 16 as well, and I know that all the experience in the world wont make me beter than everyone here.

Anyway, I hate anime/ and game art or whatever, as many other do. I really really doubt that you are allowed to start your own competition too. No one is going to make you final fantasy fan art.

gaiXyn
08-01-2006, 07:41 AM
All these demands....All these requirements.....and you're not joining? You're pretty bold to come here and say you're going to be better than all of us...tho you may of meant is as a joke....and confidents is something I strongly encourage....I still would never say something like that....improve? yes....but surpass?....unlikely....b/c for every time I level up ( yes pun intended, lol...I am a FF fan after all :) ) so do they.....also it sounds to me like you're trying to get us to give you all that ( possible ) hard work we would ( possibly ) put into this.....just handing you all that knowledge....<<but I could be wrong....and as FX81 said...this particular subForum is for Roberto to decide.....we may sound harsh, but man....you just can't jump in here, waving your arms all over the place and say get started.....how about you get started and show us.....after all, you're the one that's unsatisfied

peaCe

ZaneV
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Ok listen up i have been looking through out these forums for a long time now searching for the best 3d advent children fanart i can find and honestly im unsatisfied so i decided to hold a contest in honor of the best cg film ever made there its not an official contest but ill be da(beep)ed if im going to let that stop me. (just to get this clear im 16 im in love with 3d modelling and one day im going to be better than all of you the program i use is Maya and im going to fullsail after highschool) So heres the challenge you may pick from any of the ff7 characters you may even post multiple creations give me all youve got...

WOAH! Lets just talk about this little extract from your rather amusing post.

First: You are unsatisfied with the artists in this forum because they havn't created any fan art of FF7. I find this rather strange that you would expect everyone or most people to just love FF7 and that there would be heaps of it pasted all over this forum. Fair enough if you would like to see more of ff7 fanart but perhaps you could post this in another part of this forum giving some ideas to some other ff7 fans and perhaps you could get some of your fanart. I hope this doesn't come as to much of a fright to you but I think most people in this forum don't care how unsatisfied you are.

Second: I think you are a very self-centered 16 year old, I am also 16 but though I may aspire to be a great cg artist I don't go shouting around these forums saying that when I get out of highschool I am going to be better than everyone here. Though what I find amusing is that though you say your going to going to be better than us all but in the mean time you want us to create all your fan art for you. It doesn't add up really. It sounds rather selfish to me.

Then again like Binder said you may have meant some of it as a joke... i don't know, I would have though that if you are so unsatisfied would you not create your fanart yourself with your Maya and try and get other people interest that way.

Just one other thing from me, I think you would do well to understand that saying "one day im going to be better than all of you" is not going to get you anywhere in life... something that will get you somewhere in life is learning from other people. Also Maya is just a program... what make a great artist is their skill not their program... weither it is 3ds Max, Maya or the free program Blender.

Oh well thats it from me...

ZaneV

P.S I did find your post most amussing though... thanks :)

ashrafazlan
08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
boy you're a joke :D

_-_twiggy_-_
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
cloudy_wolf

Is my display messing up on my computer !? ... man i need some coffee :).

RobertoOrtiz
08-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Lets keep it civil....
I am in a conference right now, but Ill be back.
-R
_R

gaiXyn
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Well let's not be too hard on the guy.....he's probably paying us a compliment.....He came in here, saw some of the works being done, maybe thought to himself "wow, these guys are good, and it looks like they'll model anything".....he mostLikely didn't realize that Roberto has been making all the head posts about the challenges, and figured he can suggest one of his own. So we should feel good that he believes were talented enough to create final fantasy characters.....Is that it cloudy_wolf?.....come on guy....we're really nice people here.....don't let what we've said scare you away.....explain yourself......if you can't take a lil critism....you won't become that better artist you speak of......:thumbsup:

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Actually binder is right in fact the part about me being better than you was staged. Heres the facts im not entering cuz im not that good at 3d modelling yet, the part about me being better than all of you was meant to motivate as though to whipe that smug look of my face and actually im suprised binder nailed it so quickly im an artist so i know of equality. Every aspect of that huge paragraph was meant to motivate you into showing me your best work and honestly i really want to see some decent 3d FF7 fanart but i guess it backfired cuz im not a highly respected member however i hope that most of you will realize this and participate in the contest and also im pretty sure im aloud to make a contest as long as its unofficial. Another purpose of this contest was for personal reasons as well. Im going to full sail in a few years and ive realized that if i can learn more about 3d modelling and increase my artistic abilities ill not only have a better chance of getting there but also a much higher chance of succeding there which is why i added the unusual requirements. The requirement that you send me scans of your model sheets was to show me how good a 3d modeller should be at freehand in order to get the best results and the requirement that you tell which tools you used was so i could compare and contrast the differences between the programs you use and Maya the program i use. The truth is the Main reasons for making this contest was to get some really good 3d FF7 artwork out there so it could act as a spark for even more 3d FF7 fanart but, also to help me sharpen my own skills and prepare me for college but i guess it was my own mistake cuz i didnt really make that obvios however critisize if you want but bottom line this was my full intention and i hope that many of you will still participate in the contest.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif Cmon ppl its checkers kill 2 birds with one stone

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
*sniff*

I thought I smelled otaku.

cloudy_wolf, here's the thing. Your post may be proper etiquette on many other forums on the net. It is not on this one. A couple things you may have to keep in mind:

Digital art takes a lot of effort and a lot of discipline to put together.
People who are really into doing it are doing it, usually, to manifest their own creations.
Said artists hate being told what to do.
Said artists have their own very strong artistic tastes, many of which don't coincide with your own.
Said artists are often taken advantage of by people who rip off their artwork, which took forever to create. Just as many people at Square-Enix were hacked off when FF:AC was leaked onto the net. So they're not likely to trust a random stranger.
So perhaps coming in here, bragging, backhandedly insulting people, and telling them to do better in recreating someone else's designs may not have been the best tact to take.

If you want to gain the respect of people on CGtalk, either create some fantastic art, or just hang around here and make snarky comments for a couple years and eventually people will realize they can't get rid of you (which has been my route).

Daemos
08-01-2006, 06:40 PM
My God...

1. How the hell do you have the balls to come here and turn the damn place upside down with your overly arrogant behavior?

2. PRESS ENTER RAAARGH!

3. Stop being such a damn fanboy, its not cool at all.

I AM 16 and you're a disgrace to our kind, you give us all a bad reputation.

Jesus, why can't people think before they post?

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Ok first of all i dont intend to post, take or alter anyones work i just want to see what they can do
Secondly i have just as much a right to post a contest as anyone else not knowing me is know excuse for critisism
Thirdly as far as artists not wanting to be confined to ff7 alone is explained in the title of the thread this is a contest for 3d modellers who are passionet about their work and love FF7. If you werent a FF7 fan then you shouldnt have come into this thread in the first place.

Also this little line really ticked me off (People who are really into doing it are doing it, usually, to manifest their own creations) hello! thats exactly what im asking them to do i dont even know why you posted that part.

And finally the part about time and discipline. I am asking for artist who are willing to spend time and effort to acomplish a difficult task because they enjoy it not cuz i want them to if it was the other way around then i wouldnt get good results.

You should think before you post man its not funny to critisize when you dont completely know what your talking about!

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I made this contest because im passionate about FF7 and i want to improve my skills and if you cant respect that then get out i dont have time to deal with everyones critisism!

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Man i cant belive i just noticed that look at all the posts i got man that cant be right heh.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon4.gif

Daemos
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I made this contest because im passionate about FF7 and i want to improve my skills and if you cant respect that then get out i dont have time to deal with everyones critisism!
You don't get it do you?
This is not an open forum where everybody makes challenges, I'd suggest you do a little thinking before posting.

I get it, you love Cloud and want to have wild sex with him, I have no problem with that but if you want to improve your skills then model something yourself.

You post here, you have to expect criticism.

PS: Run a spellcheck mate

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
I have read more than enough to figure you out ive been dealing with ppl like you whole life and it wont hurt to do it again (you love Cloud and want to have wild sex with him) yeah thats really mature here you are talking about how i should insult ppl to get respect in the forums when its actually the opposite you are the kind of person that will look for any reason to insult me you will then add things (you love Cloud and want to have wild sex with him) and then try to justify it (You post here, you have to expect criticism.) however you have already proven that your own critisizm wasnt to prove me wrong but, to prove yourself right because you like to mess with ppl you enjoy making them angry your not helping anyone but yourself a social leech.

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Ok first of all i dont intend to post, take or alter anyones work i just want to see what they can do
Didn't say that you did, but it sets a lot of people on edge, and makes them wary to enter contests like this. Dig?

Secondly i have just as much a right to post a contest as anyone else not knowing me is know excuse for critisism
Actually, all the contests in this forum are started by RobertoOrtiz, and hosted by CGtalk. Like I said, the forum rules here are a bit different from what you might be used to.

Thirdly as far as artists not wanting to be confined to ff7 alone is explained in the title of the thread this is a contest for 3d modellers who are passionet about their work and love FF7. If you werent a FF7 fan then you shouldnt have come into this thread in the first place.
I came here because I was confused why there was a random FF7 thread in the subforum where Roberto makes up all the contests.

Also this little line really ticked me off (People who are really into doing it are doing it, usually, to manifest their own creations) hello! thats exactly what im asking them to do i dont even know why you posted that part.
If it's someone else's design, it's not your own creation. It's fan art. Most people would rather create and model their own characters, or at least something that hasn't been done to death in CG already.

You should think before you post man its not funny to critisize when you dont completely know what your talking about!
Son, I've been on these forums for four years. I've got friends who worked on FF:AC, and I've been offered work at Square-Enix, which I turned down. I watched FF:AC in the original Japanese, with no subtitles, and was able to follow most of it. I'm moving to Japan in a month. I know what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to help you get acclimated to CGtalk, not insult you. Please, read the forum rules and get used to the lay of the land a bit more. This thread really sticks out like a sore thumb, and I think if you browse CGtalk a bit more, you'll see why.

Daemos
08-01-2006, 07:33 PM
a social leech.
OH NO!

Why are you making assumptions about me, you've never met me and yet it seems that you know who I am and how I think.
You made a thread, and ofcourse people are going to reply, and they are not going to be nice to you if you make stupid threads.

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 07:40 PM
That much ill agree on but dameos is just completely out of line so then you tell me what do i do to make my own contest

cloudy_wolf
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
thats your opinoin. you cant assume things for everyone else in the thread

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd probably post it as a thread in the Modeling forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25).
That's a less-focused forum dedicated to modeling. Maybe do a thread titled "Final Fantasy Models Thread" and invite anyone to post up some of their work in that thread. Challenges generally aren't done here, unless they're set up by the moderators and forum leaders. Read up on how other people post around here. Don't come off as inflammatory; it doesn't go over well.

Now, as soon as Roberto gets back from SIGGRAPH, we can close this thread and put it behind us.

Daemos
08-01-2006, 08:01 PM
That much ill agree on but dameos is just completely out of line so then you tell me what do i do to make my own contest
Sure I was out of line but this was a stupid idea, take Bonedaddy's adivce.

thats your opinoin. you cant assume things for everyone else in the thread
Eh, you said you knew who I am and how I thought, I'd suggest taking your own advice.

rblitz7
08-01-2006, 08:03 PM
He's a hacker!! Look at his posts!:eek:

Phrenzy84
08-01-2006, 08:05 PM
is it me beeing suspicious, but i still dont understand how he has 4 billion posts and just signed up? Is this a mod testing out patience :), is this a lil publicity for the hardcore modelling forums :p.

im too paranoid.

If this isnt a mod in disguise then, please... uhhh... listen to some people here, they know more than you can imagine and are here to help.

-andy

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 08:06 PM
There's no need for this thread to continue. I'm calling a mod to close it.

P.S. His post count is clearly a bug, reporting it to Mibus.

Mattoo
08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Before a mod does see fit to close this thread I'd like to point out that the movie in question was bloody awful - the usual non-sensical anime story.
Ignoring that you could argue that one should watch it for the visuals - but even they were unappealing. Such uninspired art direction for something with so much potential. I confess I gave up on this film about half way through, something I very rarely do, and skipped through it at triple speed hoping for something visually interesting. Nothing came up.

An awful, awful movie.

fx81
08-01-2006, 09:45 PM

i also came here because i was also confused about the thread title.

however, this being a hardcore modeling forum i dont think anime characters(which are too much stylized and lacking real anatomy) can actually fit into realistic hardcore modeling. thats just my personal opinion.

Gaudy
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
"Sniff"

Wow instead of something related to FF::AC i see is all about a troll, and i had to make my eyes bleed reading that, yes punctuation are ur friends, but mostly ours =).

Cloud in order to fit in any group or community u need t be polite, not go aroundtrying to make ppl model u some FF Fan 3d art for ur pleasure.

However if un need some info about how to improve ur techniques in modeling or CG u are at the right place, just be polite and read, read, read, and make comments that are helpful not destructive.

Shame on all those 16 years kids that have to pay for these kind of kids manners.

Gaudy::

ienrdna
08-01-2006, 10:42 PM
whats the talk about his posts, I see only 8 :curious:

Rod Seffen
08-01-2006, 11:13 PM
And just to show how sad this forum has become, this nonsense 'let's poke fiun at the noob' thread has had 35 replies in a few hours, while the voting thread below it has had only 45 replies in 3 days.
You all need to think about that.

FabioMSilva
08-02-2006, 01:59 AM
IT's about time someone closes this thread. As a Final Fantasy Fan, I believe this thread is harming it's prestige.

I agree with Oddiy 300%. I know it might sound sad, but maybe this foruns should have some sort of age restrictions to signing up. This is just not the same place it was 3 years ago. Not saying bad of the mods, theyre the same, they're still great persons as far as i know.

as for you cloudy_wolf "Ok listen up i have been looking through out these forums for a long time now searching for the best 3d advent children fanart i can find and honestly im unsatisfied "- i really don't like when u talk this way, cuz there are a lot of good artists making final fantasy models here on CGTALK, MYSELF INCLUDED, so I really don't like when you say such things.

CGTALK POSTING RULE Nº2 -
2 - Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.

It's obvious you started posting before you even read the rules.

"YOU CAN ONLY SEND ME THE SCAN THROUGH MY NEW EMAIL ADRESS liquid_yin@yahoo.com (liquid_yin@yahoo.com)) - AND WITH ALL THAT SAID MAY YOU USE YOU KNOWLEGE AND SKILL TO YOUR FULL ADVANTAGE TO PROVE ONCE AND FOR ALL WHO THE GREATEST 3D MODELLING FANBOY IS SO LET THE GAME BEGIN :wip: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) :applause: :applause:"

this is sick stuff. It reminds me of the legendary "Vice-roy" thread

gentlemen, give a look into this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=388460

something really funny is going on on Lavergene :rolleyes:

ps: Oh i missed this one "im 16 im in love with 3d modelling and one day im going to be better than all of you ! " - for a moment i thought this thread was for real:applause: made my day

ReflectingAbyss
08-02-2006, 02:48 AM
and one day im going to be better than all of you the program i use is Maya and im going to fullsail after highschool)

I want to understand how exactly you think you're going to be better than "all of you" by going to fullsail and using maya.

Seriously.

Full sail...

fx81
08-02-2006, 03:00 AM
wow, nice investigation Fábio

who ever posted the other thread also asked for model sheets. so basically all of this is just to get some model sheets ?

Nii
08-02-2006, 04:17 AM
While it's not really a result of hardcore modeling, I made a Cloud sometime ago which can be found at:
http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=142926

gaiXyn
08-02-2006, 04:23 AM
And just to show how sad this forum has become, this nonsense 'let's poke fiun at the noob' thread has had 35 replies in a few hours, while the voting thread below it has had only 45 replies in 3 days.
You all need to think about that.

very interesting!! good one!!

hey cloudy_wolf....having maya isn't going to make you a better modeler...going to fullSail or wherever isn't going to make you a better modeler...and as you already know....getting other people to do your work for you, absolutely won't make you a better modeler either.....do you wonna know what will?....YOU.....you and only you + time, with practice multiply by patients = a better modeler......have you tried modeling the characters yourself? if your answer is yes...then try again broa!

but w/ the info FabioMSilva posted, I just don't know.....wording your post a lil differently would of opened up a world of help, instead, you've shot yourself in the leg, and now everyone else is taking turns firing a few rounds at ya.

leigh
08-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow, threads like this make me wish the minimum age requirement to join this forum was 18, or 21.

Kiddo, take your lame adolescent rantings someplace else, because you're just embarrassing yourself. Thread closed.