PDA

View Full Version : Rigging freezes computer

Pickman
01-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi all, I really need help, I'm trying to rig a character for the first time (5000 polys) in Max5 and every time i move a dummy or a bone Max freezes several seconds before responding, I'm using a P4 + 500DDR and GEforce ti 4200, what's wrong with the viewport, help !:eek:

I'm currently learning on Paul's Thug character, which works and responds absolutely fine, don't understand what the problem is with my max scene ???
I'm using Mike's Comet rigginig script by the way.

LFShade
01-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Some combinations of features in Comet's charRigger will cause serious slowdowns. It's likely not a problem with your system, Max just doesn't handle heirarchies with lots of constraints, wires, and script controllers very well. If you chose the splineIK or lookat-IK spine, that's probably where you're losing most of your interactivity. Try just using the FK spine and see what kind of speedup you get. You might also want to ditch the auto-clavicle, as it can bog things down a bit as well.

Pickman
01-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi LFshade and thx a lot for your precious help, I actually ditched the auto-clavicle stuff and got rid of the Indi spline. It way improved the skinning process, I owe you one here.
What's the auto-clavicle feature BTW ???

May I ask you if it's a problem to rescale Mike Comet's helpers on a different system unit (inches>centimeters) for instance, cause some of the helpers looked weird when I made the conversion:annoyed: is there a work around ??

THx a lot

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.