PDA

View Full Version : Maya 8 Release!

Pages : [1] 2

Aikiman
08-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Check it out here...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7635643

personally it doesnt do it for me right now unless they release a 64-bit version for the Mac.
Performance enhancements, well thats great, and mentalRay rendering core optimisation will also be helpful. Looks great for those who are modelers and animators and dabblers with game engines, not so great for those of us who play with dynamics.

Still waiting to be surprised! What a disappointment!

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 02:23 AM
Curses!!

I need a new dongle, hehe. I only have a parallel dongle and it won't work in Win64. I downloaded and installed the 64bit Maya 8 but that's as far as I can get. It updates all your MB, MA, MEL file icons with a little red seahorse thing or whatever it is, hehe.

nitindesign
08-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Curses!!

I need a new dongle, hehe. I only have a parallel dongle and it won't work in Win64. I downloaded and installed the 64bit Maya 8 but that's as far as I can get. It updates all your MB, MA, MEL file icons with a little red seahorse thing or whatever it is, hehe.

Where did you find that info? I have an USB dongle so I assume that I won't need to buy a new dongle (I am on XP 64). I will be ordering Maya 8 upgrade first thing tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

Kabab
08-01-2006, 02:33 AM
USB dongle will be fine...

There where some issues with the dongle drivers which where released with Maya 7 not working on winxp 64. I would assume this is fixed with 8

Parallel port dongle support was dropped a while ago.

pixelmonk
08-01-2006, 02:44 AM
installing now...

pixelmonk
08-01-2006, 02:45 AM
USB dongle will be fine...

There where some issues with the dongle drivers which where released with Maya 7 not working on winxp 64. I would assume this is fixed with 8

Parallel port dongle support was dropped a while ago.

I think it says Parallel is still supported for v8.

majorbludd
08-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Jozvex (member.php?u=3127) or Pixel Monk,
Please let us know what's in the new Mental Ray. I purchased platinum support last week but my customer location code won't activate it right now. Until I can get it sorted out I need to hear from whoever has glimpsed at it. Uggg I'm dying to see the goodies. Screen shots of the hypershader etc. Thanks!
-Noah

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 03:06 AM
No you should be fine, a USB one is what I need to get.

When I bought this new PC with Win64 the parallel dongle never worked at all. Same for Digital Fusion 4. I've traded in my Fusion serial dongle for a USB one and it works fine, so now I just have to do the same for Maya. Currently I have to run Maya 7 in 32bit windows but now that Maya 8 is 64bit........I want all my bits!!

I'm just reading the docs now (which look quite different and has flash videos) and there are definitely more features than are listed so far I think. Custom menu sets, the new ways to create primitives are surprisingly good, no more Maya webrowser......instead "Maya connects to external browsers like IE, Firefox etc" (hmm), the script editor is somewhat upgraded and is dockable, quite a few features are marked as newly multithreaded (subd, skinning, hair) and many others are marked as much faster, OMG could it be.......reorganised modelling tools and now the Menu Set dropdown has "Polygons" and "Surfaces" instead of just Modelling, new menus are called slightly Max-like names like Edit Mesh (eww hehe), new UV tools and features but I'm not much of a UVer so I'm not sure how good they are, a 'make model turntable' feature, new Cloth features, new Hair features (looks nice), oooh render fur as a volume effect in MR, they added the MiSSS (fast) attributes to standard Maya shaders, MR shaders and textures show in the viewports *thanks the heavens*, the Maya.rayrc file is now optional!! it'll just install shaders by itself?? cool, nornal maps render in MR, fairly big upgrade to IPR, you can now use Artisan to paint shader assignment onto faces, new tools for working with HDR textures and displaying them (exposure etc), render from more than one camera (don't quite get it hehe), if you render straight to AVI you can choose the codec....

*deep breath*

Image planes now depth composite themselves into the viewport if they have a depth channel (hey that's cool), a new interactive light placement method, overhauled MR docs with tutorials (yay MasterZap!!), set jpeg compression, lots more MEL commands as always.

:thumbsup:

Kabab
08-01-2006, 03:14 AM
I think it says Parallel is still supported for v8.
I think i should rephrase when i said support in ment in terms of buying them..

You can no longer buy parrellel port dongles.

OMG OMG jpeg compression settings!!! i've waited for that sooo long..

Do they have a stack of new shaders in MR? glass etc etc ?

bil2k
08-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Any word if this is a universal binary version that will work with Intel macs without using Rosetta? The Autodesk site mentions OS X but doesn't specify.

Aikiman
08-01-2006, 03:20 AM
okay now Im getting excited...

can somebody post a full rundown on whats new maybe in PDF format from the application? Movies would be even better!

boutwell
08-01-2006, 03:26 AM
Any word if this is a universal binary version that will work with Intel macs without using Rosetta? The Autodesk site mentions OS X but doesn't specify. it is not a universal binary. this has been confirmed by a platinum user who has downloaded it. dammit, now i have to wait for 8.5.

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Just chiming in -- I'd really appreciate it if someone could post up some detailed info on the new file referencing/pipeline integration features, and any new dynamics/effects stuff. :)

Exo7
08-01-2006, 03:37 AM
quite a few features are marked as newly multithreaded (subd, skinning, hair)
Damn, so that's not every mel command wich is multithreaded...

:cry:

bil2k
08-01-2006, 03:38 AM
it is not a universal binary. this has been confirmed by a platinum user who has downloaded it. dammit, now i have to wait for 8.5.

I'm going to heavily look into Cinema 4D or chucking my MacBook Pro in the garbage :(
... effin AutoDesk... effin Adobe

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 03:43 AM
Dynamics/Effects:

* New Particle Collision Offset
* New user definable oversampling rate

Not much hehe, but I think dynamics was listed as being much faster at least.

"File Referencing:

* New features in file referencing include the ability to push edits onto grandchild references, and new file referencing callbacks. As well, if you reference a file that has render layers with the same name or ID as those in the parent scene, you can now choose to share those layers rather than duplicate them. Finally, you can choose to load top-level references only or default references (as well as all or no references) when you open a scene, import a scene, or create a reference.

* Optimize Scene Size limitation fixed - You no longer have to load references before using the Optimize Scene Size command. The Optimize Scene Size command now properly recognizes file referencing nodes and will not delete or misplace them."

;)

lollygag
08-01-2006, 03:44 AM

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Damn, so that's not every mel command wich is multithreaded...

:cry:

I think it'll still be good. I don't think you can actually multithread-ify MEL, you can only do that to parts of the API. As more parts of the API become multithreaded, all the MEL tools that use those parts of the API should speed up.

Aikiman
08-01-2006, 03:59 AM
oh wow, new particle collision offset! :rolleyes:

Venkman
08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
No you should be fine, a USB one is what I need to get.

When I bought this new PC with Win64 the parallel dongle never worked at all. Same for Digital Fusion 4. I've traded in my Fusion serial dongle for a USB one and it works fine, so now I just have to do the same for Maya. Currently I have to run Maya 7 in 32bit windows but now that Maya 8 is 64bit........I want all my bits!!

I'm just reading the docs now (which look quite different and has flash videos) and there are definitely more features than are listed so far I think. Custom menu sets, the new ways to create primitives are surprisingly good, no more Maya webrowser......instead "Maya connects to external browsers like IE, Firefox etc" (hmm), the script editor is somewhat upgraded and is dockable, quite a few features are marked as newly multithreaded (subd, skinning, hair) and many others are marked as much faster, OMG could it be.......reorganised modelling tools and now the Menu Set dropdown has "Polygons" and "Surfaces" instead of just Modelling, new menus are called slightly Max-like names like Edit Mesh (eww hehe), new UV tools and features but I'm not much of a UVer so I'm not sure how good they are, a 'make model turntable' feature, new Cloth features, new Hair features (looks nice), oooh render fur as a volume effect in MR, they added the MiSSS (fast) attributes to standard Maya shaders, MR shaders and textures show in the viewports *thanks the heavens*, the Maya.rayrc file is now optional!! it'll just install shaders by itself?? cool, nornal maps render in MR, fairly big upgrade to IPR, you can now use Artisan to paint shader assignment onto faces, new tools for working with HDR textures and displaying them (exposure etc), render from more than one camera (don't quite get it hehe), if you render straight to AVI you can choose the codec....

*deep breath*

Image planes now depth composite themselves into the viewport if they have a depth channel (hey that's cool), a new interactive light placement method, overhauled MR docs with tutorials (yay MasterZap!!), set jpeg compression, lots more MEL commands as always.

This is sounding better and better. If they multi-threaded a bunch of stuff - that can only be good for me. Disappointingly few programs take real advantage of my dual processors. nice to see Maya's tools (not just rendering) multithreaded.

majorbludd
08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Do the ctrl_studio MR shaders still work? Any info on MR 3.5 would be appreciated. Any final gather enhancements? cached FG? Sped up FG?
-N

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Hmm it's hard to give you good details because I can't run Maya!! Hehe.

You can now do Shadow Linking as an alternative to Light Linking (they don't work together). Mental Ray 3.5 itself has upgraded Final Gather but there aren't any new options listed in the Render Setting's help. Maybe we'll get some new options on the miDefaultOptions node at least.

Some new stuff in MR 3.5 that I can comprehend:

"mental ray now has four final gathering modes: "automatic", "multiframe", "3.4", and "strict 3.4". The automatic and multiframe modes have been greatly simplified and do not require control by radii, while usually giving superious image quality. The multiframe mode is specifically designed to avoid flickering artifacts in camera animations. The 3.4 and strict 3.4 modes are provided for backwards compatibility.

Final Gathering Modes3.5

mental ray has four different final gathering modes in version 3.5 and later:

"automatic"
This final gathering mode has been greatly simplified compared to version 3.4. It no longer requires radii to control final gathering sampling and interpolation. The parameters used to control this mode are:

* number of finalgather rays (the first numeric argument of the "finalgather accuracy"),
* optional "view" flag of the finalgather accuracy,
* "finalgather points", the approximate number of points used for the interpolation.

"multiframe"
This mode is similar to the simple mode, but has been specifically designed for rendering camera fly-through animations. To avoid flickering, the rendering should be split into two parts. In the first part, the final gather map is rendered for the set of key frames or for a coarse sequence of frames. In the second part, the frozen final gathering mode is used for the rendering of the full animation. It is possible that some part of the scene will not contain sufficient number of finalgather points for some frames not belonging to the key frame set. To avoid picking up illumination from distant objects which is possible in the "automatic" mode, the finalgather accuracy max radius limits the maximal distance. If sufficient final gather points are not found within that distance, the illumination is smoothly faded to black.

This mode is typically useful for animated scenes, but is not necessarily the best method for animations where flickering is not a problem. It may also be well suitable for still images without animation.
The parameters used to control this mode are:

* number of finalgather rays (the first numeric argument of the "finalgather accuracy"),
* max radius (the second numeric argument of the "finalgather accuracy"),
* optional "view" flag of the finalgather accuracy,
* "finalgather points", the approximate number of points used for the interpolation.

"3.4"
This mode is provided for compatibility with version 3.4, and to give the experienced user more control over the final gathering computations. This mode typically gives results similar to version 3.4 of mental ray, and makes use of all "finalgather accuracy" arguments (optional "view" flag, number of finalgather rays, max and min radii).
"strict 3.4"
This mode is similar to the "3.4" mode, but achieves higher compatibility with mental ray version 3.4, allowing re-rendering of old scenes with mental ray version 3.5 or later. Some rendering improvements are disabled in that mode.

Photon merging

A new, optional optimization of global illumination using photon mapping called photon merging has been implemented. This feature reduces memory consumption in scenes with complex indirect illumination where were many photons must be shot but only few of them contribute to the rendered image, by merging photons in memory which are closer to each other than a user specified distance threshold. Some scenes which previously could not be rendered in sufficient quality due to memory size of the shot photons may be rendered now using this option."

The rest is mostly very technical things.

;)

cpan
08-01-2006, 04:38 AM
cool stuff with the mentalray integration, it gets better and better with each release :)

Jozvex, could you post a resumee of the "what's new" section of the help here? At least to have smth to read while waiting for Maya 8, hehe :D

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 04:50 AM
I actually covered most of it in that one-big-sentence post I made. I went through every What's New page and only really skipped the Hair/Cloth stuff.

:hmm:

Venkman
08-01-2006, 04:51 AM
I'm going to heavily look into Cinema 4D or chucking my MacBook Pro in the garbage :(

Wait for Jobs to announce MacPros. Hopefully there will be some Mac specific stuff there, perhaps with Maya. It's a long shot but the idea of you throwing away your macbook makes me cry. :)

You can always run it in Windows, anyway.

cpan
08-01-2006, 05:05 AM
I actually covered most of it in that one-big-sentence post I made. I went through every What's New page and only really skipped the Hair/Cloth stuff.

:hmm:

yay!
skipped that mother-post, hehe :)

then to sumarise what i read here-and-there, maya 8 is a performance version (64b rewrite, multithreaded things, much faster commands, viewport etc... seems the core was rewrote/touched again) with many welcome small enhancements and some bigger ones (fewer). Overall seems good (productivity wise) and it leaves the bigger features to be added in maya 8.5 (6 months from now) i think :) Till then i think it will fill the gaps maya 7 leaved very well.

brenly
08-01-2006, 05:06 AM
can someone give more info on the improvements to the UV editor? Im eager to hear what they have done with it, I felt they were on the right track with 7, hopefully with 8 its sweet.
thanks!!!

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 05:25 AM
UVs? Ahh yes, I think I may have something in my bag for you:

*Polygon UVs menu reorganization

The Polygon UVs menu is divided into two new UV-specific menus as part of an overall polygon menu reorganization. The two new UV mapping menus are named Create UVs and Edit UVs and are located in a new menu set named Polygons

*UV Texture Editor updates

The toolbar in the UV Texture Editor is reorganized to better reflect user workflows. In addition, the items named Selected Images and UV Sets that were previously at the bottom of the Images menu are now separate menu items named Textures and UV Sets.

*Transfer polygon attributes between meshes

Maya can now transfer UV, color per vertex (CPV), and vertex position information between surface meshes that have differing topologies (that is, the number, arrangement, and connectivity of vertices on each mesh is not identical) using the new Transfer Attributes feature.

*Move UV shells in the UV Texture Editor

The UV Texture Editor now includes a new Move UV Shell Tool to let you quickly select and reposition UV shells as they appear in the 2D view of the UV Texture Editor. The Prevent Overlap option prevents the shells you move from overlapping other UV shells.

*Display overlapping UVs

The UV Texture Editor now provides the capability of shading UV shells in order to determine areas where UVs overlap. The new Shade UVs feature shades the UV shells with a semi-transparent color. Regions of overlapping UVs appear more opaque than regions where no overlap occurs.

*Display the winding order for UV shells

The UV Texture Editor now lets you see the winding order for UV shells with the new Shade UVs feature. Determining the winding order helps to understand and troubleshoot the mapping of textures on a polygonal mesh. Depending on the orientation of the UV shell, the shading in the UV Texture Editor will appear in either blue or red.

*Improved tangent space calculations

When creating a model using mirrored geometry or UV mapping, mirrored faces will have their UV winding orders reversed. In previous versions of Maya this would always result in a flipped binormal, and the normal and bump maps would appear inverted. You can correct this using the UV Winding Order Detect option on the Shape node to calculate the binormal based on the V direction of the UV mapping.

*Support for left handed tangent space normal maps

You can now choose to work in a left-handed tangent space in Maya. This allows direct compatibility between Maya and external game engines and environments that use or require a left-handed coordinate system. This affects both the generation and display of normal maps.

*UV layout options improved

The UV Texture Editor now has improved options for automatically optimizing the space between UV shells when they are laid out. New Shell stacking options in the Layout feature (formerly Layout UVs) specify how the bounding box is created around UV shells when the layout occurs. The new Shell stacking option is also available with Automatic Mapping to create UVs.

*UV options for polygon primitives improved

The terminology for the creation of UV texture coordinates for polygon primitives has been changed from Texture to Create UVs in the primitive options windows to better reflect what occurs with this option. In addition, there are new UV options and default settings in many cases.

*UV unfolding options enhanced

The Unfold feature (formerly Unfold UVs) has new options to constrain the unfolding of UVs. You can constrain the unfolding of UVs in either a vertical or horizontal direction as they appear in the UV Texture Editor.

*Mapping UVs guide in the Maya Help

The UV mapping and editing documentation is now contained in a separate user guide within the Maya Help to better reflect user workflows. This documentation is now located in the Mapping UVs guide within the Modeling section of the Maya Help.

And they provide flash videos on a lot of those features.

revilo3D
08-01-2006, 05:26 AM
ok guys.. i cant work this out. I got platinum membership, I downloaded maya 8.. Do I or dont I have rights to use it? I downloaded the webkey that I thought made my 7 licence usable for maya 8.. only to get the impression its to make maya 8 licence compatable to 7,6.5 etc.

So I have to request a new licence?

Do I or dont I have to purchase Maya 8?!?!

If yes, what the heck was a download for the application made available to me?!! to entice me to buy maya???

Totally confused here to what im entitled to..

Kabab
08-01-2006, 05:57 AM
ok guys.. i cant work this out. I got platinum membership, I downloaded maya 8.. Do I or dont I have rights to use it? I downloaded the webkey that I thought made my 7 licence usable for maya 8.. only to get the impression its to make maya 8 licence compatable to 7,6.5 etc.

So I have to request a new licence?

Do I or dont I have to purchase Maya 8?!?!

If yes, what the heck was a download for the application made available to me?!! to entice me to buy maya???

Totally confused here to what im entitled to..
If your platinum membership is current you are entitled to Maya 8 .

If you cannot get it to activate via the online webkey system contact your reseller they can manually update your license for you (might take a few days). This is not uncommon i've seen this happen to a few people.

Maya licenses have always been backwards compatible.

brenly
08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
*Move UV shells in the UV Texture Editor
*Display overlapping UVs
these 2 features will be very useful .. lookiing forward to seeing the reorganised UV Texture Editor tool bar.

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks, Jozvex. The user-defined oversampling sounds cool, and it sounds like referencing may be a bit more usable now.

oh wow, new particle collision offset! :rolleyes:

You ever have to do detailed collisions on a heavily displaced object? I would've killed for this feature a year ago.

Honestly, I don't know what people were really expecting. The development cycles of Maya and Max are going to be slowing down, a la Shake, as they develop their next-gen application. This happened with Wavefront, TDI, and PowerAnimator when they developed Maya, and it'll happen again, as they merge Max and Maya.

We're reaching a point where we're not seeing huge leaps and bounds in technologies, but more smoothing over of the pipeline. Most of the features listed -- the file referencing, the poly transfer, the geometry caching, the custom viewports -- are aimed towards developing better ways of handing off work from one person to the next.

mustique
08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Dear Maya 8 64 bit users,

Do you notice any kind of realtime feadback with 3d fluids?
Also are new Hair and Cloth features worth mentioning?

Do you get the impression that there are no
"Duncan style" new features in this realease too?

thx

pixel mixer
08-01-2006, 08:49 AM
damn, the waiting is killing me. i just bought the third maya license + platinum membership last week and i'm waiting autodesk to process all this.

my main concern is the rendering. does maya 8 have the same universal rendering policy for mental ray as max8 has?

Aikiman
08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
You ever have to do detailed collisions on a heavily displaced object? I would've killed for this feature a year ago.

Look at the overall picture Bonedaddy, compared with all the other improvements, the dynamics module has little to be excited about. You of most people here would notice that.

The thing is though that anyone serious about dynamics had better be half decent with mel and so will probably develop their own tools. Maybe thats why there aren't major improvements in that area.

Sure I look forward to getting my hands on a copy, I even think the logo is awesome (and most of you will after a few months believe me, it's good), but what rubs the salt in further is its not even 64 bit for mac!

bit*h..........nevermind......there's always 8.5

fr3drik
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm sitting on a USB dongle here. Had to copy-paste the license data into the licensing tool ... and it seems it got emailed to Alias, so they can send me a new key... not really sure. Is this standard procedure or do I have to do anything else?
I've emailed my concern to my reseller, still waiting for response...

Also, anyone know if the mr licensing has changed to match the offer you get when you buy 3DSMax (unlimited mr render licenses)?

StefanA
08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
The licensing for mental ray is the same as before... which is a shame...

OmegaN
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Its nice with all the performance enhancements but of what I have read about the maya8 release the modeling still got ALOT to wish for.

I can be wrong but what I could make out of the release is it will have bridge and multi edge split tool. But what more for modelling? is there something I have missed?

would be nice with implemented pelt mapping too.

still waiting for maya to catch up on the other programs in modelling like silo modo (wich is much cheaper than maya) and max etc ..... thats my 2cent =)

Spacelord
08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey Jovex,
Does Maya 8 have the same Physical sky and shader presets that Max 9 does ?

http://download.autodesk.com/global/3dsmax/featureVideos/max9_mentalray_improvments_large.mov
cheers

Jozvex
08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
still waiting for maya to catch up on the other programs in modelling like silo modo (wich is much cheaper than maya) and max etc ..... thats my 2cent =)

In my opinion this is asking too much of Maya. Silo and Modo are focussed on modelling and almost nothing else. Their developers can spend all their time on creating amazing new modelling tools and workflows, but Maya doesn't have that luxury. It's like telling a nurse that they suck at brain surgery compared a neurologist... a nurse needs to handle a much wider range of situations, fairly well.

Hey Jovex,
Does Maya 8 have the same Physical sky and shader presets that Max 9 does ?

Not that I can find, no! And I looked around a lot. The cool reflection blur options (fast interpolation, low res reflection detail etc) in Max 9 also look very useful and I don't see that in Maya.

I wonder if Autodesk are deciding to split the features up to give each product advantages? Or perhaps the Max devs just wrote some cool features themselves.

MMighe
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Nothing about the new Maya Cloth Solver? FBIK fixes or enhancements?

alexx
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
only very few new features for that (again) big leap in version numbering.

i am mostly interested if they managed to fix all dynamic caching problems, and the problems when trying to render with MR satellite.

at least now you can have per render layer shader assignement on a per face basis - that was a huge problem in 7.0 (was a limitation and not a bug though :) - thanx for that one.

i really shivered, when i saw the "new" primitive creation mothods a la max.. scary!

cheers

alex

jbradley
08-01-2006, 01:40 PM
i really shivered, when i saw the "new" primitive creation mothods a la max.. scary!

I actually laughed when I saw that in the feature release.

Strata 3d (now Strata CX 5) has had that primitive creation method for over 10 years.

Lol.

KidderD
08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
T

Honestly, I don't know what people were really expecting. The development cycles of Maya and Max are going to be slowing down, a la Shake, as they develop their next-gen application. This happened with Wavefront, TDI, and PowerAnimator when they developed Maya, and it'll happen again, as they merge Max and Maya.

Well, I guess to know what people were expecting, one could look at the www.digication (http://www.digication) website, and find out how many top level features would be eliminated. I used to think that one or two would be, and several smaller ones would be as well, and then we'd need a new list.
But, really, now, we could just scratch off the 64 bit, and keep the existing list. Just thinking positve!
Granted, and to their credit, it sounds like they did do a tonne of work on the 64 bit port, although, from their tech preview last yr. much of this seemed already possible. Personally, and this is just my opinion, Maya development was stifled this past year, and that is where my dissapointment lies. Others will pick it up though, and time will still tell the tale.

Oh, and one more in the interest of keeping a positive outlook. At least the plugin developers aren't going to be to affected, save having to recompile, at least none of thier softwares has become obsolete.
Oh, and on this vien of thought, doesn't big daddy money pockets just buy us a plugin a few days later after a lackluster release, history has shown this to be the case the last few years, some potential candidates could be blastcode, or glu3d seems like a good choice as it works in both its apps. Spose they already did with the camera match tho. Oh, well, back to kicking a rock.

CIM
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Not that I can find, no! And I looked around a lot. The cool reflection blur options (fast interpolation, low res reflection detail etc) in Max 9 also look very useful and I don't see that in Maya.

I wonder if Autodesk are deciding to split the features up to give each product advantages? Or perhaps the Max devs just wrote some cool features themselves.

Maybe they'll have to be unlocked like (some) past new mr features in Maya.

ciff
08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey people,
Have a nice shiny new download of Maya 8 (will have to do with 32 bit for the mo) downloaded the web key and run it but i keep getting this error message "No license
found in the Input License file, Please refer to the Licensing section of your installation Gide." arrrrg. Contacted support but there takin aaaaages to get back to me. Anyone know whats going pear shaped, anyone had similar problem?
Cheers,
Have fun all u Maya 8 people.
Chris.

underearth
08-01-2006, 02:26 PM
anything about skinning , rigging ,animation...

Bonedaddy
08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Look at the overall picture Bonedaddy, compared with all the other improvements, the dynamics module has little to be excited about. You of most people here would notice that.

No, this is totally true. But the core dynamics module -- particles and rigid body sims -- haven't really progressed much at all in the past god knows how many versions. It's still basically the Dynamation stuff stapled onto Maya. The code base is something like 10 years old, and has been getting progressively less stable every version. So, no, the dynamics isn't going to be exciting, but I didn't expect it would be. They'd need a complete rewrite to do that. And this meager update, to me at least, indicates they're starting a rewrite.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, it's a crappy release. But I sort of expected it, since the Autodesk merger. And I try to always look on the bright side of life. :)

martinw
08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I guess to know what people were expecting, one could look at the www.digication (http://www.digication) website, and find out how many top level features would be eliminated. I used to think that one or two would be, and several smaller ones would be as well, and then we'd need a new list.

Hmm, do you think the digication list is really representative of what people want? I think it's been spammed by some people trying to get their favourite features to the top. I mean look at the current list:

http://maya.digication.com/list_features_visitor.php?sort=mostpopular

CV hardness and rail revolve are both in the top 10, and are both higher than the GUI redesign. And the crowd simulator is now the number one feature request. Well maybe I'm just out of touch and those really are the current user priorities, but I have my doubts that the ranking is really that valuable as a guide to what users really want.

KidderD
08-01-2006, 03:37 PM
yes, it's been spammed to utter death, still I expect them to be able to pick out the spammers. I'm sure they wouldn't blindly go by the numbers.

Things like not splitting the hw/sw particles. Muscle system, crowd sim, zbrush tools for sculpt, sounds like they partially used this one.

Exo7
08-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I think it'll still be good. I don't think you can actually multithread-ify MEL, you can only do that to parts of the API. As more parts of the API become multithreaded, all the MEL tools that use those parts of the API should speed up.Yes, It'll still be good.
But that comes from I heard distributed compilation (http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=%22distributed+compilation%22&meta=) was possible, so I told me "If one can distribute code amongst networked PCs, why not distribute MEL commands amongst CPUs ?"

I own a bi-Xeon HT (32bit) and I don't even activate HT because then it'll show 25% CPU activity at his max when Maya is freezing for some computation, that's VEEERY frustrating !

If that was to be possible anyhow, I (we?) will really love to see that some day :hmm:

Anyway, industries goes their way... Cool thread btw :bounce:

Tell us, then, Ô Jozvex, is the envSky somehow improved with MR ?

steveblake
08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
...sorry for the obvious question, but is it possible to buy a downloadable v8 direct from autodesk?

poly-phobic
08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
rendering normal map is great and easier this time around apparently.

good upgrade to the UV toolsets.

this is an ok realease.7.5 or 8, whatever they call it :)

improvements are always welcomed.

lollygag
08-01-2006, 04:43 PM
...sorry for the obvious question, but is it possible to buy a downloadable v8 direct from autodesk?

Yes.. I think if you buy from Autodesk themselves.. you will get a link to DL before you get
your mailed package.. at least i did but i also got the annual maintenance.. that my be why

cbernardo
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi,

Someone find any bug in this new version?

[]s
carlos

Omita
08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
It will be interesting to see how Mac support is now that Autodesk has the reigns.

-Hays

Spacelord
08-02-2006, 12:03 AM

Either way its silly, its Mental ray, both apps should have the same functions.

I'm really surprised Maya doesn't have those features,
theres more and more people using Maya for ARCH VIS these days.
I guess XSI won't get those features, but I will wait to see what XSI have to say first.
Its probably something (ctrl_studios or Tek2shoot ) would be able to access for us,
functions in Mental Ray Standalone 3.5.

Thanks for checking,

Kabab
08-02-2006, 12:43 AM
I am willing to bet most of the max 9 and maya 8 development was done independant of each other..

randomsheep
08-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Hey people,
Have a nice shiny new download of Maya 8 (will have to do with 32 bit for the mo) downloaded the web key and run it but i keep getting this error message "No license
found in the Input License file, Please refer to the Licensing section of your installation Gide." arrrrg. Contacted support but there takin aaaaages to get back to me. Anyone know whats going pear shaped, anyone had similar problem?
Cheers,
Chris.
:D... would still like to hear an answer for this question if anyone has an answer... :D

Jozvex
08-02-2006, 01:51 AM
I'm getting that error too. I checked out the Platinum 'Ask Autodesk' support forum and they suggest taking out a support case.

stuffy
08-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Downloaded the app yesterday night and installed it. Then I called Autodesk to get my floating licenses. There seemed to be a problem with their system as it was only giving out Maya 7 license. Had to wait till tonight to get the licenses for 8. Now Maya8 is running.

Steffen

John-S
08-02-2006, 04:30 AM
I downloaded it last night. I installed it and it said I needed to go to Autodesk.com etc to download the AutodeskWebKey program thing. I downloaded and ran that and it said it didn't find or failed to work or whatever. I closed it down and opened Maya 8 and it seemed to work fine. Apparently something worked disagreeing with what that thing said?

Probably way different then the mentioned problems in this thread but just thought I would throw it out there....

ciff
08-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey people, still no joy with Maya 8, had this back from support yesterday,

"I have to get you a license that you can install manually. Please bear with me while I work with the people that can update the license database."

and then this,

"The SPAR form that you submitted will be processed, but the group that does that is requesting that we give them a bit more time to do so. We're dealing with a rather large volume of requests at the moment, it may not be possible for them to get back to you within 24 hours. We appreciate your patience."

Looks like no Maya 8 for another day :sad: will post any info i get, sounds like there's no quick fix tho, will probly just have to wait for the manual license.

Ho hum,
L8rs people.

spurv
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi people! Just 2 questions:

How can i see if my Dual Core is 64bit? and to rum Maya8 64 i need XP 64? (sorry if they are stupid questions)

o-v
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi people! Just 2 questions:

How can i see if my Dual Core is 64bit? and to rum Maya8 64 i need XP 64? (sorry if they are stupid questions)
YES.

indeed u need win xp64.... and i guess your PCU is 64bit capable...

spurv
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
All dual are?

dimaxyz
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
sorry for stupid question but how do i download it?

revilo3D
08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm getting that error too. I checked out the Platinum 'Ask Autodesk' support forum and they suggest taking out a support case.

think its safe to say in what ive been dealing with is to just go the manual approach. Now i wait..

by the way even though not being able to use maya i had a read through the documentation.. and i a way it makes me happy to not have a ton of new features. It put a smile on my face to see them revisit aspects implemented before and tidy them up. From what i would say the grunt of the big 1.0 version up is in the background.. not in new tools. There is a list of performance improvements which i wouldnt be surprised was a heck of work if not complete rewrites of elements.
it always pissed me off having a ton of new features that i only need 10% of the time and still have tools that i use 90% of the time being zillion years old!
Regarding the comments about fbik - if its not done right its not worth doing at all.. and with motionbuilder around till autodesk release a truely complete and useful fbik system - i dont want it. Ill just learn motionbuilder!

oh anybody know if rpf has been added.. couldnt find anything in the docs. i will cry if i have to wait another year for it.

MasonDoran
08-02-2006, 11:10 AM
word up on polys:

soft select has color feedback

paint select is in the tool menus now

artisan has component feedback

split poly will cut acrossed multiple edges if u select only the first and last point to cut

Transfer Attributes is going to be very powerful...was able to move vertices and the UVs would follow in order to avoid any UV distortions from tweaks -just like max.

redundant commands are optimized....extrude component will encompass all components.

you now have the option to customize your own menu modes (rendering, polys, animation etc)

MasonDoran
08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
i like this:

"We’ve added Scatter attributes to the Anisotropic, Blinn, Lambert, OceanShader, Phong and PhongE surface material nodes in the mental ray section. By tuning these attributes, you can blur the diffuse component of that particular shader creating the look of subsurface scattering (on surfaces like skin, wax, leaves and gel)."

and:
This tool has been moved from Modify > Surface Sampler to Lighting/Shading > Transfer Maps.

You can now create an ambient occlusion map using the Transfer Map tool.

ThomasMahler
08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Hmm, sounds neat. Are there pics, showing this effect in action?

cpan
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
also, from the few hours i spent into it, here's a more complete new poly options (actually the Polygons MenuSet features)

Mesh and Edit Mesh separate menus with
-Insert Edge Loop has on the fly adjusting of the number of splits
-Add Divisions now has Quadratic (the old stupid edge/face subdividing algo) and the new UV subdividing (a hell better than the quadratic since you can specify the number of divisions for U and V)
-Select Shortest Edge Path Tool
-Bridge tool with:
*linear bridging
*curvature based bridging (very cool)
*curve based bridging
*Taper graph, twist control
-Merge tool now allways merges if you only select 2 vertecies (hehe very handy option :))
-Merge Edge Tool has new edge positioning options
-SoftMod with color feedback and Volumetric Fallof and Topology Based Fallof (Finaly!)
-Split Poly Cuts even if you skip edges (a huge time saver)
-similar commands unified
-Move Compont finaly works in any select mode
-Menu Set customisation (hehe, now finaly i could make a Plugins MenuSet where i put all the plugins custom menus :))
-Subdiv Proxy has a separate Menu with options like:
*toggle visibility between proxy and smooth
*show both proxy and smooth
*crease tool (with enhancements)
*remove Subd Proxy Mirror (leaves only the base proxy, unmirrored in case it was mirrored)
-enhanced calculation expressions for the Attribute Spread Sheet / Channelbox.
I see that you can now even type %5 in the channelbox and it automatically puts the right result in the respective channels
-new Normals separate Menu with all the needed options inside (didn't have time to see if those were enhanced)
-new Color separate Menu (it also has a Set Vertex Color Key tool, don;t know if it's new though :D)
-Create UV's separate Menu (with enhancements as i see)
-Edit UV's separate Menu
-Select separate menu (with all the goodies inside
-you can now switch the renderer between OpenGL/D3d/High Quality (the first two need to be compiled though, but their c++ source is included with maya). This will be really cool in the near future since peeps can write their own viewport engine, even a game engine can now be integrated as a renderer i think ;)

oh, and what i like is that the whole menus were rethinked and reorganised. It's a hell easyer to access thing now :)

i surely missed something, this is just a quick inspection of the tools i did this morning :)

hehe, almost forgot, on the HowardB scene i've encountered an FPS doubling, that ROCKS!!
in maya 7 i got 14-18fps and in Maya 8 i got 29-32fps with no driver change at all!!
though it seems the boost only comes in complex scenes, with many objects. On a simple scene i didn't get a notable boost :)
correction: hehe, i didn't turn the nurbs surfaces to high quality :D Now i get 22-23 fps in maya 8 :)

so, it looks like all the small enhancements anyone wanted for years are pumped into Maya 8 :)

revilo3D
08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
omg.. there is a diect x engine for maya now.. did i get that right!!??

I remember getting 8-10times the speed improvement in rotating a model in max in directx over opengl maya.

Im so happy one of my students learnt how to compile :applause:

ThomasMahler
08-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Why the heck isn't Alias marketing those features properly? I've heard ten times more impressive stuff from platinum members than I'm reading on Autodesks press page.

Thank god, they're doing a lot of tweaks - All of that stuff sounds really nifty and useful.

LuisTelesforo
08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
does anyone knows how to change the new final gather modes inside maya?

elvis75k
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Imagine a stereoscopic engine to a viewport! Great news!
It's time to learn c++

Kabab
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
omg.. there is a diect x engine for maya now.. did i get that right!!??

I remember getting 8-10times the speed improvement in rotating a model in max in directx over opengl maya.

Im so happy one of my students learnt how to compile :applause:
Thats because the 3dsMax OpenGL driver sucked. And the Alias one was godly being a part of SGI you would hope so :)

mhovland
08-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey people,
Cheers,
Chris.

I have the same issue, but it seems that my maintainance had expired. Seems like our reseller and Autodesk need to talk to get my maintainance updated.

revilo3D
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Thats because the 3dsMax OpenGL driver sucked. And the Alias one was godly being a part of SGI you would hope so :)

I mean the model in maya chugging 3-4fps in max, was totally fluent and lighting fast... not max dx vs. max opengl. :)

oh man.. stereographic maya. That sounds to die for!

PS. mhovland, is Sam J over with their with you guys at the mo, he's my bro but i cant locate him at the mo, last I heard was he was on the move or something.

ciff
08-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I have the same issue, but it seems that my maintainance had expired. Seems like our reseller and Autodesk need to talk to get my maintainance updated.

Bummer dude, yer, so annoying haing Maya 8 just sitting there, lol. Hoping the maintainance dude gets back to me today but guessing that it'll be another day till anything gets sorted. Doh.
Just need to save up for 64 bit now :cry: my alienware MJ 12 is away being fixed, hopefully if they drop it they'll give me a nice new 64 bit one. Neeeever gonna happen. lol :D

buzzman
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM

I experienced the same problem with the webkey.exe and have every time I've upgraded. I requested a license via the hotline@alias.com and I had my aw.dat within an hour.

Buzz Chambers

Mehran-Moghtadai
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Max 9 has improved it's viewport speed aswell. It's much better then the crap it used to be.

View Video here (http://download.autodesk.com/global/3dsmax/featureVideos/max9_poly_speed_large.mov)

Br1
08-02-2006, 02:08 PM
does anyone knows how to change the new final gather modes inside maya?

I'd like to second that question.

And if anyone has tips on how to assign catmull-clark approximations to objects as well... Haven't found that in the docs...

pixel mixer
08-02-2006, 04:22 PM
oh man.. stereographic maya. That sounds to die for!
i'll get dizzy just by looking at the viewport :)

Serum
08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi guys, just to confirm: there is no pelt mapping in Maya 8? Also, have any improvements been made as far as exporting to / importing from Max?

pixelmonk
08-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi guys, just to confirm: there is no pelt mapping in Maya 8? Also, have any improvements been made as far as exporting to / importing from Max?

FBX and FBK?

ThomasMahler
08-02-2006, 08:11 PM

Unfold? That's already been implemented into Maya 7.0.

annmarie
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
ya, if someone could give some insight to the dynamics FX in the new Maya I would also appricated it greatly.
old fluids are still wompin on me.

am

marcinm
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
New features in dynamics section are particle collision offset and user-defined oversample rate.I think in next version of Maya Autodesk make more big changes to dynamic solver in Maya. Anyone has more information about Unified Solver presented at Siggraph ? Screenshots of presentation looks pretty nice.

John-S
08-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Are you refering to this type of pelting?

http://www.sunitparekh.com/pelting/

I wish it was included in 8. Pretty cool stuff : )

jabbermacy
08-02-2006, 10:32 PM

Macbook Pro -> garbage (and I still love macs, just not laptops). Dell1505 for about 1/3 the cost is here:

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7883

Screw Apple, and YES I owned stock - I just made a mint then split ;)

No like? Then this post is brought to you by the letters F and U ;)

Cheers fellas!!

(and mac guys, note my username - I used to be the biggest mac freak on the block, so lay off - LOL :)

revilo3D
08-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Are you refering to this type of pelting?

http://www.sunitparekh.com/pelting/

I wish it was included in 8. Pretty cool stuff : )

one word ...UVlayout... by headus....

theazz
08-02-2006, 11:13 PM
guys, please , rigging, animation? anything, its about time we had good motion paths, ghosting, etc etc. if maya is going to stay on top it needs to compete with the likes of THIS (http://www.digitalfish.com/products/animators/) soon.

azz

majorbludd
08-03-2006, 12:16 AM
OK I finally got ver 8 up and running. First things first. It appears all the Ctrl_studio shaders work (yay). Also all you need to do is put the files in the appropriate places. There is no need to update the maya.rayrc. Fancy That! I haven't checked to see if the bevel tool works correctly yet but I would think by version 8 it should. The bridge tool is cool and the primitive creation is nice. MR materials showing in the Hypershader is a blessing too. I haven't checked out the UV tools but they look promising. I couldn't get the webkey to update maya8 but support sent me a license file within 15 min. The support is just as good as it was with Alias. Phones get answered quickly and problems get resolved within the same day.

T-R
08-03-2006, 01:03 AM
OK I finally got ver 8 up and running. First things first. It appears all the Ctrl_studio shaders work (yay).

Definitly great news. Is it me or did you also lose the scroll bar on the crtl studio shaders?

Buexe
08-03-2006, 01:52 AM
One new thing I found is MIRROR SKIN WEIGHTS.
Well, I haven`t tested it yet, but sounds useful to me.

]-UnderTOW-[
08-03-2006, 01:59 AM
One new thing I found is MIRROR SKIN WEIGHTS.
Well, I haven`t tested it yet, but sounds useful to me.

Which version of maya were you using when you found this? It's been there a while now ;p

Buexe
08-03-2006, 02:15 AM
You are kidding right? Geez should open my eyes once in a while if that`s true :argh:

JamSession
08-03-2006, 03:02 AM
-Click and drag primitive objects. To create a cube you now have to click and drag for the length and width, then drag up for height. How retarted, just like max

-Edit mesh, not called polygons anymore,

-Turntable; they added a button to animate the camera circling around an object. Whatever happened to doing a motionpath to a circle?? Pointless feature, would rather have something beneficial. If you have a turntable effect, wouldn't it be nice to have a render wireframe feature to go along with that!

sorry for the rant, I just hated using 3ds Max and it looks like Maya is slowly turning into that.

Time to move on to XSI!

majorbludd
08-03-2006, 03:19 AM
I dont remember ever beveling a vertex. It was "chamfer vertex" before autodesk purchased alias. Edit Mesh or Edit polygons is splitting hairs, nothing to freak out about. Maya 8 feels like Maya to me. It's better than Maya 7.

majorbludd
08-03-2006, 03:38 AM
just a quick note about the primitive tools. You don't "have" to create primitives with click and drag. That's just one way to create them. Also modo and silo have these type of modeling features wich I find to be very powerful.

de_tomato
08-03-2006, 03:39 AM
OMG the things that I hated with max they now made in maya

-Click and drag primitive objects. To create a cube you now have to click and drag for the length and width, then drag up for height. How retarted, just like max

Time to move on to XSI!

I actually like the feature, am i the only one?

OT: I'm just wondering, how could anyone freely move from one to another 3d package? First, its not free (cost a bomb for me). Secondly, I dont decide which package to use, my boss does. So I fully understand of those whiner, coz they have to stick with it, either they bought it or they have to deal with it in their company. When someone start comparing with other package, someone would go, "if you like XSI (or other package) so much, go f**king use it!". DUH! How often we can choose which software to use in our company. But anyway, 'do the things you love, else love the things you do'.

pixelAffairs
08-03-2006, 04:33 AM
I REALLY would like to have some peoples problems!
BTW: Edit Mesh uses less screenspace.

Jozvex
08-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Oh my goodness.......I did it........I got the ancient parallel port dongle to work on Win64 after all this time!!! It stumped Alias support but after a few hours of exploring the internet I found out that you just need to install these random drivers:

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/files/SSD722WIN64.zip

Hooray!!! However all that got me is Maya 7 running on Win64. Still need to request a new Maya 8 license but that's ok.

morimitsu
08-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Is there any special difference in Maya 8 UI?
Is the Att. Editor smaller?

Buexe
08-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Is there any special difference in Maya 8 UI?
Is the Att. Editor smaller?
To be honest except for the exchanged icons I can not tell a difference to Maya 7
and the Attribute Editor still takes appr. 1/3 of my screen.

cpan
08-03-2006, 02:41 PM
some mentalray notes, after some usage:

-the new Final Gather (with automatic mode) seems much better than the previous 3.4 one. The same scene that took ~28 minutes in mray 3.4 but without glossy shaders (with glossy i think it should have taken more than one hour), now took ~35 minutes but full of glossy surfaces/reflectivity (and the FG quality seems better, sharper). Not to mention, no more "Emiting another 15000 fg points for blabla region" messages with the auto mode, hehe :)

-another cool thing is that the new Area Light seems faster than the previous Point Light/Spot Light hybrid Area Light and also they fixed some of the limitations of the older one (on the other hand it has some MEL AEtemplate-related bugs, hehe :D)

-it seems that the Mayatomr guys will add geoLights in the next version, since some of the code for that is allready implemented (it even has the UI built into some MEL files, but its not exposed to the UI).

-one thing i need to mention though is that maya cannot display custom shaders into the viewport nor the hypershade (though in maya 7 i could make them be displayed in the hypershade with a MEL hack, so it might be true for maya 8 aswell). Other than that, it seems you need to remake some mentalray shading networks, if you open an maya 7 scene, in order to get them displayed in the viewport.

-maya doesn't seem to have Zap's archviz shader that max9 will get (or maybe it's still under beta?), hopefully the next version will get it, cause that shader rocks badly :)

SergeAstahov
08-03-2006, 03:58 PM

-chamfer. Umm Maya people refer to it as Bevel, chamfer is a max term, but now we chamfer vertex's not bevel them.

Time to move on to XSI!

Well before freaking out, you need to explore Maya better. To diactivate the new feature "click and drag for creating the primitives", just go to Create>Nurbs or Polygon (whatever you use) Primitives and uncheck the "Interactive Creation" and here you go. Will be creating one sized boxes as always before heh.

Hmm in Maya 7 it's Chamfer Vertex and Bevel (for Faces and edges). And in Maya 8 it's Chamfer Vertex and Bevel (for faces and edges). So to me it looks quite the same.

I don't think that Edit Mesh instead of Edit Polygons is such a huge difference i find now Maya is better organized and many things are way easier to find and saves you a lot of time.

And i personaly find Max's feature creating primitives with clicking and draging very powerful. And it gets even better than that. You can leave the option "Interactive Creation" on and you can only click once in any place in viewport and it creates an object there (with the parameters assigned in options beforehand). So i'm honestly really happy about this feature and i'm a Max and Maya user ;).

PolygonGoon
08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
About the shader problem, all u have to do is duplicate the shader network and delete the old one, and voila it works!

wat2k
08-03-2006, 07:16 PM
-the new Final Gather (with automatic mode) seems much better than the previous 3.4 one. The same scene that took ~28 minutes in mray 3.4 but without glossy shaders (with glossy i think it should have taken more than one hour), now took ~35 minutes but full of glossy surfaces/reflectivity (and the FG quality seems better, sharper). Not to mention, no more "Emiting another 15000 fg points for blabla region" messages with the auto mode, hehe

How to change Finalgather mode? Thanks

cpan
08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=388692

i'll add them directly to the Render Settings window tomorrow if i'll have some time :)

About the shader problem, all u have to do is duplicate the shader network and delete the old one, and voila it works!

hah, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

JamSession
08-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Well before freaking out, you need to explore Maya better. To diactivate the new feature "click and drag for creating the primitives", just go to Create>Nurbs or Polygon (whatever you use) Primitives and uncheck the "Interactive Creation" and here you go. Will be creating one sized boxes as always before heh.

Hmm in Maya 7 it's Chamfer Vertex and Bevel (for Faces and edges). And in Maya 8 it's Chamfer Vertex and Bevel (for faces and edges). So to me it looks quite the same.

I don't think that Edit Mesh instead of Edit Polygons is such a huge difference i find now Maya is better organized and many things are way easier to find and saves you a lot of time.

And i personaly find Max's feature creating primitives with clicking and draging very powerful. And it gets even better than that. You can leave the option "Interactive Creation" on and you can only click once in any place in viewport and it creates an object there (with the parameters assigned in options beforehand). So i'm honestly really happy about this feature and i'm a Max and Maya user ;).

Sorry, I am not mad about the features, I am mad that they made this release more like Max. I would rather see new features, not transfered tools. This release should have been Autodesk Maya 7.5. Then with release 8 have some big new upgrades like gigapoly core :D and create teapot button:rolleyes: I guess I was expecting more new things, not old max refurbished tools.

I am sticking with 7.0 till renderman and melstudio plugins are compatible with 8.0 hint hint to pixar and digimation.

T-h-i-j-s
08-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I realy like they finally fixed the extrude; you can now just extrude a profile along a curve with angles (non tangent) and your geometry won't get distorted :)

I like the new interactive placement (also for spotlights etc), but it's nice you can disable it as well :) it's something you dont want to use all the time.

One annoyance i discovered so far was the (new?) nurbsCylinder when you use interactive placement. The caps are nice, but the way the object is now, it's nasty with some nurbs modeling. The caps are parented with a seperate transformnode under the nurbCylinder transform, which also has the cylinderShape as a child. It doesn't work well with trims, fillets etc. (or you have to remove the caps, or directly select the Cylindershape or 'rearrange' the entire cylinder)

I was a little too quick; you can modify this behaviour in the Optionbox

In the win32 release, batchrender.exe has the LargeAddressAware flag by default, so you don't need to mess with editbin anymore. It can use more memory (break the 1.7 Gig limit up to 2.?? if you use the /3GB boot flag).

jabbermacy
08-03-2006, 11:36 PM

-chamfer. Umm Maya people refer to it as Bevel, chamfer is a max term, but now we chamfer vertex's not bevel them.

-Turntable; they added a button to animate the camera circling around an object. Whatever happened to doing a motionpath to a circle?? Pointless feature, would rather have something beneficial. If you have a turntable effect, wouldn't it be nice to have a render wireframe feature to go along with that!

sorry for the rant, I just hated using 3ds Max and it looks like Maya is slowly turning into that.

Time to move on to XSI!

1) what's more retarted - being able to place and size an object at once or doing two more operations to get what you want - DUH.

2) get over it: www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

chamfer n : two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees [syn: bevel (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bevel), cant (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cant)] v 1: cut a bevel on; shape to a bevel; "bevel the surface" [syn: bevel (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bevel)] 2: cut a furrow into a columns [syn: furrow (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=furrow), chase (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chase)]

BTW, chamfer is a MUCH more standard term - look at almost ALL CAD software for a 'bevel' command - you won't find it.

Go over to XSI already if you're not happy (you won't, BTW)... seems like you have more issues than Max 8 (oops! - MAYA 8). Good luck with that... and thanks for the rant - it's fun to watch!! ;)

JamSession
08-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Yea, I lost a few projects to Max's crash and corrupt feature. So when I see Maya start integrating max features I get worried that it will get the crash and corrupt file feature.

I never once noticed the chamfer vertex until now, wow, I need to stay out of the script editor and use tools already made.

cadd obviously uses the same terms that max uses because Max was derived from cadd, hince the z up.

]-UnderTOW-[
08-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Yea, I lost a few projects to Max's crash and corrupt feature. So when I see Maya start integrating max features I get worried that it will get the crash and corrupt file feature.

That's just stupid, seriously. I'm NO fan of max. I dispise that piece of crap, but max does have a lot of good features that maya does not, that maya needs. Just because maya may get some of max's features does NOT mean it will get the same crashes. Max and Maya are two completely different programs.

brenly
08-04-2006, 01:08 AM
1)

BTW, chamfer is a MUCH more standard term - look at almost ALL CAD software for a 'bevel' command - you won't find it.

OMG .. You trying to give me nightmares, thats why I hate Max .. its like a CAD program! I hope Maya doesnt go down the same path!

I also have to agree .. Click and drag primitive objects .. isnt very helpful.

Lamster
08-04-2006, 04:27 AM
I've already got the download version of Maya 8 but I can't install it due to some license issue. I am not sure why, but I already have Maya 7 up and running on the computer, but somehow, Maya 8 cannot detect the license file... Well, I've approached my dealer that provided my original disc version of Maya 7 about this problem. He's working on it while I chew my nails in anticipation hahaha.

As far as expectations go, I'm really really interested in 1 thing that has so far been lacking in Maya. The ability to continue working on your project while running a test render in renderview. As it is, the moment you click out of the renderview, Maya effectively freezes until the end of the render, or until you abort it. This sucks. Cinema4d has a nice implementation that works. I wonder how they did it...

I don't think that it'd be in this version of Maya as no one so far has mentioned anything along those lines.

Terence

Stahlberg
08-04-2006, 05:13 AM
You could do it as a batch render instead, you still can't see it progress, but that would allow you to keep working at least...

yinako
08-04-2006, 06:45 AM
As far as expectations go, I'm really really interested in 1 thing that has so far been lacking in Maya. The ability to continue working on your project while running a test render in renderview. As it is, the moment you click out of the renderview, Maya effectively freezes until the end of the render, or until you abort it. This sucks. Cinema4d has a nice implementation that works. I wonder how they did it...

I don't think that it'd be in this version of Maya as no one so far has mentioned anything along those lines.

Terence

I think that has to do with the GUI, because with any externally executed renders like turtle, RMFM, or MR batch you can still make use of your maya viewport, its just that when you render inside of maya things will pause until done.

Lamster
08-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Ah what the hey, I'm not a programmer at all, how could I understand how difficult it is to circumvent this sort of problem. All I can do is to point them to Cinema4d... really hope some of the techies at Alias/Autodesk are reading this.

Cinema4d has a render-to-picture-viewer mode that opens up a picture viewer, and displays the rendering process in there. Updates are the same as when you render in the main window, AND you can work on your scene without disturbing the render. Pressing ESC stops the render.

I think this sort of thing is really good to have for tweaks, and I think even a few minutes added to a render OVERALL would still not offset the usefulness of having the ability to work while your render is going on, WHILE being able to see how the render looks.

Terence

cpan
08-04-2006, 09:10 AM
you can do the same in maya with mentalray, though it's not as elegant as some might want (including me :D)...
1. use batch rendering
2. use mentalray's imf_disp utility to display the rendering process (though this is broken in maya 7... must take a look to see if it's back in maya 8 :))

I also have to agree .. Click and drag primitive objects .. isnt very helpful.

you can allways switch back to the old creation way if you don't like it.

but i find it very easy to create greeeble like scenes, but in a more manually way:
just click here and there with the tool to create default sized objects at the respective position, or click to place and drag to scale. And if you click to create over an live object, the newly created one snaps onto the live and aligns itself to the normal :)

here's a fast 50 seconds scene that would have taken at least 10 minutes before :)
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3708/manualgreeblem8ik8.png

Lamster
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Sheesh! I could have used this a few weeks ago! I had this inordinate number of spikes I had to put onto a robot arm... what a pain that was! Geo Constraint, Normal Constraint, Position, Delete Constraints... over and over... ARRGH!

I want so much to play with Maya 8 now... for some stupid reason, even though I have downloaded the installation package (thanks plat membership) and am currently using Maya 7, the webkey program that they asked me to download to my desktop and run keeps saying that there is No license found in the input license file. I have no idea what is going on. I am using winxp64, i wonder if any other winxp64 users are having the same problem... Anyway, my dealer indicates that processing to get a license would take a week. A WEEK! Sigh...

Terence

OmegaN
08-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I dont really understand how ppl can think the new primitive function is worse than before. It must be because you have done primitive creating the stone-age way too long to let go of it.

I cant se ANY positive thing with the way maya created primitives before. One click and you get your primitive right in middle, one size fit all and 99% of the time you dont want it that way and need to move scale etc by hand. Really annoying acctually if you have used other 3d programs with click and drag primitives function (like strata 3d had it 10 years ago!). I just think many maya users are so anti-max that they just reacts because max have the same feature, who cares aslong as maya gets better?

ckas
08-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,...what do u mean with "Zaps archviz shader"
Thanks

Stahlberg
08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I cant se ANY positive thing with the way maya created primitives before.
Yeah agreed...
Funny trivia: nearly a decade ago Alias PowerAnimator, the precursor of Maya, had almost the same thing - the primitives would appear wherever you clicked the cursor, and with snapping switched on it was almost as cool as this new one. Obviously Max stole that

ducks and runs :D

Seriously, the reason Maya has lagged in polys for so long is because Alias used to be all about NURBS, they in fact ruled the industry for years in that field. Max used polys because they were more basic, simpler.
Then ironically (and honestly who in the late 90's would have predicted it?) came the swing over to poly modeling. Then came Wings, MJPolyTools, Byrontools, Koshigaya, Modo, Silo, ZBrush, Mudbox, Hexagon etc... and of course now the planners at Alias probably think something like:
"If someone pays 7000 for a software, they'll have no problem paying another 99 for Silo, anyway there are free alternatives and free plugins to customize Maya, not to mention the power of MEL which lets people design their own tools... so why should we waste millions trying to catch up to these other tools? Better we should focus on the stuff we're really good at." And I guess I can see their point.

Jozvex
08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
When I used to use Max I got SO sick of numerically evening out my hand dragged proportions.

In Maya if I press Cube, I get a cube. It's that simple.

Got milk?

OmegaN
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah agreed...
"If someone pays 7000 for a software, they'll have no problem paying another 99 for Silo, anyway there are free alternatives and free plugins to customize Maya, not to mention the power of MEL which lets people design their own tools... so why should we waste millions trying to catch up to these other tools? Better we should focus on the stuff we're really good at." And I guess I can see their point.

I totaly get your point. But that coin got 2 sides, eather thinking like that because silo is so darn cheap and maya want to develop the more advanced features that they are known for like fluids and dynamics that bigger companys use.

But on the other hand why should someone that have already paid 7000 for a 3d-software need to buy another 3d-software to get good modeling tools? If you pay 7000 you would expect there to be up2date modelingtools, because imo I think the "standard users" models alot more often than they for example make complex particle/fluid solutions.

But I can get that maya 8 dosnt come with too exciting modeling tools becuase I think the 64bit, multithreading and preformance updates took alot of effort and alot of rewrite of tools. Its a shame tho that I have to read forumposts from platinum users to know whats new in maya8 because the featureslist on autodesk dosnt even cover half of the updates. Theres not even videos on the new features.

When I used to use Max I got SO sick of numerically evening out my hand dragged proportions. In Maya if I press Cube, I get a cube. It's that simple.
In max you could just check the radiobutton from box to cube to get your cube proportions always :P

OmegaN
08-04-2006, 12:45 PM
btw when im at it, does anyone know if the bevel tool have gotten any visualfeedback in maya8? Or is there a plugin/MEL script to maya7 that got this. It always takes some make/undo to get the bevel right because the numbers dosnt tell me much (specially not when its sometimes make supersmall bevels with same numbers that makes a big bevel on another model).

Well off with to the positive new things that actually come with maya8. Of what I have read here there are alot of little functions that will make my day and the performanceboost sounds terrific =) The extrude is under one command finally (one less need for a MEL script), who made up the idea to have different tools for vert,edge and poly extrude in the first place? ;)

Jozvex
08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
In max you could just check the radiobutton from box to cube to get your cube proportions always :P

A rebuttle? How... quaint. I'll make sure to remember that tip for the next time I never use Max again.

:scream:

(hehe sorry I'm bored)

earlyworm
08-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I think I've been using Maya for too long. Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the modeling tools in Maya? :scream:

It could do with some better curve manipulation tools. Something for sculpting curves would be sweet.

Bachf
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
oh, this is a excellent big new, una noticia muy muy grande, bravo, Maya 8.0, anabasis to maya 9.0, oh yeahhhhh,.

draco76x
08-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Installed Maya8, feels abit different, maybe is the menus has got new names e.g. Polygon become Mesh etc.

The response is abit senstive now, when I zoom near my object closely, it overshot & zoom in inside my object.

Well, need to get use to this New 'Maya'. :) Hope that Maya can 'evolve' to a better 3d program everytime but don't 'die' like 3ds Max as I use Max before, it crash alot although it
had some useful feature.

Btw, still miss the old name "Alias Maya", too bad, it change to Autodesk Maya, anyway,
it still started with the letter 'A' infront only sounds different now. :sad:

thinsoldier
08-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Hmm, do you think the digication list is really representative of what people want? I think it's been spammed by some people trying to get their favourite features to the top. I mean look at the current list:

http://maya.digication.com/list_features_visitor.php?sort=mostpopular

If you look through every last entry you'll realize theres a lot of stuff on there from 2002 and many of the entries arent actually feature requests, but people leaving messages that the site needs to be emptied and start over again to get more accurate results.

Not quite sure about the spamming tho. You're only allowed 200 points so spread across multiple items. I think if every maya user, even the PLE users and bootleggers were to sign up and vote properly there's be great results. But some maya chatrooms and forums are filled with people who never even heard of the site. And even when I tell them they still don't go and vote.

cbernardo
08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey, guys,

Any improvement in Subds with Mental ray? Like suport for partial creases?

[]s
carlos

thinsoldier
08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I experienced the same problem with the webkey.exe and have every time I've upgraded. I requested a license via the hotline@alias.com and I had my aw.dat within an hour.

Buzz Chambers

please don't ban me for bringin put the topic... plese????? (begging)

I went to ....a place...somewhere... yesterday and they had about 20 systems with maya 8 installed. I watched the install process using their bootleg copy and it was pretty straight forward regarding the awdat stuff.

So if it were me (like when I got maya 5), seeing as how you already paid big $$$ for the thing, you might as well download the keygen and get your maya 8 working now and have some fun while you wait for autodesk to send you the proper stuff.

OmegaN
08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I think I've been using Maya for too long. Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the modeling tools in Maya? :scream:

It could do with some better curve manipulation tools. Something for sculpting curves would be sweet.

Hehe maybe you havent tasted the sweet fruit of temptation from other packages so you dont have a clue what your missing. Like before the computer or mobilephone was invented you never needed/longed for it and now you cant live without them :P

You can check some features out like Selection highlightning and topology in SILO so you know of some features that would be nice to have, here: http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorials/videos/

topology btw is similar to the "pen tool" in modo 201 or like one of the tools in Andreas polyspeed for 3dsmax (cant remember the name of it) where you just can paint the mesh onto objects. If there was a tool like that in maya I guess it would work together with the "make object live" function.

slipknot66
08-04-2006, 04:44 PM
you mean paint geometry? there is a script for maya called geometryPainttool.

John-S
08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm loving this new paint selection tool in Maya 8, can't seem to find the shortcut though??? Anybody?

The menu change is driving me crazy. When I first downloaded it, the polygon menu wasn't even in my hotbox by default? I added it but still??? Its really slow navigating until you get used to where things are located. The High Quality rendering took me forever to find, then it turned out it was right infront of my face the whole time....

Personally, I didn't mind the old names and locations?

Stahlberg
08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
But on the other hand why should someone that have already paid 7000 for a 3d-software need to buy another 3d-software to get good modeling tools?
Yes, I know, doesn't sound fair does it...

But life is unfair sometimes... and how could Maya hope to ever surpass Silo or Modo now? They have a big head start, and they started clean from scratch, with totally modern code. It's a waste of effort, duplication of effort. And as long as they can't surpass them, if we're not happy with the modeling tools in Maya, we might as well buy one of them. Or both.

Me, I'm perfectly happy with the modeling tools in Maya. I never model mechanical things, only organics, maybe that's why. I bet I only take like 10 - 20% longer to model the stuff I do, than if I did it in for instance Max. And since 50% of the total modeling time is spent thinking and planning, you see how faster modeling is very low on my list of priorities. :)

Of course another option for Autodesk is to simply buy out one of those better modeling apps and add it into Maya. It would probably be cheaper than trying to duplicate the development.

mech7
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm loving this new paint selection tool in Maya 8, can't seem to find the shortcut though??? Anybody?

Umm the paint selection was allready in maya :p Or has it changed ?

Emil3d
08-04-2006, 06:02 PM
you mean paint geometry? there is a script for maya called geometryPainttool.No he doesn’t mean that. As far as I remember it is a free hand pen that draws a line over your object in the 3D space which not only creates edges but also vertices at the intersection with existing edges, thus creating at the end an edge loop added to the existing topology with a freehand drawn line.

John-S
08-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Umm the paint selection was allready in maya Or has it changed ?
Just me being an idiot....

I never noticed it in Maya 7, its under the edit menu where I wouldn't ever have looked for it. Now its in the toolbox on the left side of the screen and staring you in the face.

What can I say? I'm a beginner......
(still would like the shortcut key though)

_vine_
08-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Unless they fixed the weight normalization issues they introduced in version 6.5 I'll probably stay away from it.

Iconoklast
08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
The funny thing is, the Maya 8 Sculpt Geometry tool now has Selection highlighting for vertices. Basically, when you enter the tool and mouse over your object, it will highlight the vertices that would be affected in red. If only they implemented this into everything :)

jramsay
08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
-one thing i need to mention though is that maya cannot display custom shaders into the viewport

This is fixed in Maya 8.

Jill

jramsay
08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Just me being an idiot....

I never noticed it in Maya 7, its under the edit menu where I wouldn't ever have looked for it. Now its in the toolbox on the left side of the screen and staring you in the face.

What can I say? I'm a beginner......
(still would like the shortcut key though)

You can create a shortcut for any menu item in the hotkey editor.

Jill

John-S
08-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I was going to look into that but I didn't know if there already was one. If there isn't I'll do that, Thanks!

Airflow
08-04-2006, 11:07 PM
I bet I only take like 10 - 20% longer to model the stuff I do, than if I did it in for instance Max.

I think it might be even a bit longer than that :P...... max has probably moved on quite a bit since you last realy played with it....
But Im glad AD are dealing with these issues, its the one thing that really stuck in my craw, the lack of a decent soft mod tool, not just for modeling, but for use as a deformer tool is kinda backwards. But having said that, the sculpt geo tool makes up for in in some ways.. It even got me into using max's version which has renovated my modeling, its even better than soft selection .....

I do miss the blistering viewport that maya has when I pop back into max, but it wont be long now before thats sorted out too...
Overall Im realy pleased with the new additions to maya, espescially the extremly usefull primitive creation change.... now, if we could just do somthing about the snaps :P......

Dias
08-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Why they haven't add Select Border Edge in MM like To Edge Loop? It's so frustraiting guys. :\

Dias
08-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Btw, are there Linux version too?

Aikiman
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
I hope I'm not being an ignoramus here but my plugins wont show up in my plugins manager except for the default ones that ship with maya8. I have all my old plugins in the correct user directory but they wont load, anyone have any ideas?

cbernardo
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I have a problem with a TIF map for a Maya 7.0 model, I don't know why, but the render fails in Maya 8.0. Syflex and Renderman doesn't work too. Well I think I'm gonna expect for the plugins became compatibles. :D

[]s
carlos

Aikiman
08-05-2006, 01:44 AM
That must be what it is, not compatible with 8, nevermind back to Maya7 for me :)

revilo3D
08-05-2006, 02:07 AM
so for Maya 8 we need recompiles? damn that sux. I heard rumours that no recomplies where needed.

Although it will still be a week at least before I can fire it up, why did they change the polygon menu to mesh?
Thats a bit of a generic term that doesnt really clarify the surface type. I still use nurbs for many things too and it generates a "mesh". Also in all the menus now will i convert or output to "mesh?" haha.

I like the idea that they reorganised it, but the name change there is trivial and if anything adds more uncertainty to new users what is what. 1 step forward, 1 step back for maya's intuitivity >> (spelling sponsored by google :wise:)

Airflow
08-05-2006, 02:34 AM
any 64bit tinkering and plugs will need recompiles, its the same for max9...... and they prolly changed it to mesh cos they are working on some new Poly tools, either that or slowly but surely...... soon you will have a stack too :P.... hehe

revilo3D
08-05-2006, 03:17 AM
any 64bit tinkering and plugs will need recompiles, its the same for max9...... and they prolly changed it to mesh cos they are working on some new Poly tools, either that or slowly but surely...... soon you will have a stack too :P.... hehe

lol from what i do remember about the stack back in my max days.. maya already has that too.. however would be nice to elimate (bake down) specific aspects of history which im still trying to figure out how this can be done(Perhaps its already there) . I wrote a script to eliminate a history item by selecting it from the list in the channel box.. but im still looking for a function that will permanently apply that effect rather than dismiss it on delete. Also when you click on a history item that its properties are displayed directly below it and not at the bottom of the "stack" :P - sure this is a simple mel hack that someone could come up with....

Venkman
08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
I have a problem with a TIF map for a Maya 7.0 model, I don't know why, but the render fails in Maya 8.0. Syflex and Renderman doesn't work too. Well I think I'm gonna expect for the plugins became compatibles. :D

[]s
carlos

Renderman 2.0 will have Maya 8 compatibility.

Khorram
08-05-2006, 02:01 PM
So far I didn't see much improvement to convince me for a switch to v8.0 from my 7.0.1. Much like a minor update (could be 7.0.2) no surprise specially in modelling department I hoped Autodesk do the same they did with MAX with Maya and put some great 3rd parties plug-ins into the new versions as standard features. Cyslice or T-Splines or both to say. And no curve and surface curvature analysis tool and graph yet. So far no plan to bother with a new installation maybe till a bug-fixed update release. I hope someone knows what I may miss if I don't go for an Autodesk labeled Maya now. God! take care of Maya pls!!!

Emil3d
08-05-2006, 02:57 PM
So far I didn't see much improvement to convince me for a switch to v8.0 from my 7.0.1....I found the amount of new features and improvements in Maya 8 to be in line with the previous upgrades. To me the upgrades in the recent years have been with very similar significance.

Emil3d
08-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I think I've been using Maya for too long. Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the modeling tools in Maya? :scream:...I guess that depends on the person. I’m one of those that can see room for improvement and changes within minutes of using any program. I’ve yet to see a perfect program that I can’t imagine a single thing that could work better.
That doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m a permanent sufferer, whiner, or unhappy person. As long as I am able to do what I want with a worthy effort I’m OK:)

Emil3d
08-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I like and welcome the new options, features, and enhancements in Maya. Usually I read thoroughly the documentation before I post like this. But I’m kind of exited and impatient and decided to ask.

I’m currently just playing with the interactive primitive creation.
First question - when you create 2 steps primitives by dragging, after the first step you can change things like width and depth for a cube and radius for some of the other primitives in the options, but then when you perform the second step (drag), these changes are ignored. However some changes in between steps like divisions remain. So the question is does anybody have figured out how actually this is suppose to work. At the moment I consider this as one of those semi completed “features” and weird things.

Second question - I’m trying to figure out how the snapping is supposed to work. My findings so far are that you have to have the snapping enabled only during the first click from a click and drag action – for example hold c, click on an edge to start the dragging, and release immediately the c before the dragging continue. Well that works fine but the question is how to snap again during the same drag to another edge. If I activate the snapping again while still dragging, I’m able to snap only to the nearest edge of the same object. Luckily point snapping in this way works fine to any point of any object.

Did anybody find details of how to perform these kind of snapping in the help?

Emil3d
08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I found the attaching curve to a surface follicle a great new feature in the hair system. Previously, to model hair attached to a surface, one have to start with a simulation and continue modeling curves from a certain point.
Now with this feature the shape of the hair can be started with sculpting a NURBS surface which is much better for visualizing the hair. Then the surface can be rebuilt with any density for duplicating its curves. The new feature allows those curves to be attached to a surface with a hair system which is great

Houkah
08-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi,...what do u mean with "Zaps archviz shader"
Thanks

Ckas. Zap wrote a shader that's called the architectural and design (i think that's the name) shader for MR that's gonna be in max9. From what he was saying at his masterclass it wasn't included in maya8 because it wasn't completed by the time maya8 came out. It's a really really nice shader btw.

ckas
08-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Houkah ...sounds pretty interesting. Is there anything on the web about it? And what does it do?

Dias
08-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Look at this screen:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/images/viewport_override_large.jpg

How many of you have that Direct3D option? :shrug:

Endymon
08-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Seems like there are a lot of bugfixes ...

Mayalive is now working, dual screen monitors seems to work much better (menus are available).

For the direct3D option you need the plugin: D3DViewportRenderer

First impressions are that it seems more stable and some old bugs are fixed.

Dias
08-05-2006, 06:37 PM
For the direct3D option you need the plugin: D3DViewportRenderer

So this is a third party plugin? Why it isn't installed by default? :shrug:

lollygag
08-05-2006, 07:35 PM
you must compile it yourself..

C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya8.0\devkit\plug-ins\D3DViewportRenderer_README.txt

John-S
08-05-2006, 08:00 PM
If I save a file in Maya 8 that I previously created in Maya 7, I can't reopen it in 7. Is this a problem or am I doing something wrong? Does it work fine for everyone else?

I went to try the sculpting tool to see the new feature in it, whenever I go to make my first click on the model Maya 8 shuts down. It works on the same model in 7?

(I'm on a mac)

Sorry if this shouldn't be posted in its own thread.....

VM
08-05-2006, 08:54 PM
hahaha, I like that there's an angry guy who wrote a reply: "maxified maya" and put an angry face, hahahaha, excelent, I can imagine him threatening the computer screen in utmost despair "you've maxified MY Maya, you gdbsobsmfkz.etc.etc.etc..." :D :D :D

I absolutely understand the feeling :-))))))

Anyway, some people seem to prefer to call it Maya 7.5, or 7.02... I'd call it Maya 5.something, just to be more radical :D I don't have it, and I'm sure it's improved as far as eficiency goes, and I'm glad to hear that... but I guess people are waiting to see some new technologies implemented, and implemented well, which takes me to the one thing I'm especially interested, please, tell me, someone who was fortunate enough to play with the new Maya "8"... did they finally integrate FBIK or not????? Is it usable now, or is it the same FBIK from Maya 7?

Emil3d
08-06-2006, 12:24 AM
...I’m currently just playing with the interactive primitive creation.

First question - when you create 2 steps primitives by dragging, after the first step you can change things like width and depth for a cube and radius for some of the other primitives in the options, but then when you perform the second step (drag), these changes are ignored. However some changes in between steps like divisions remain. So the question is does anybody have figured out how actually this is suppose to work. At the moment I consider this as one of those semi completed “features” and weird things.

Second question - I’m trying to figure out how the snapping is supposed to work. My findings so far are that you have to have the snapping enabled only during the first click from a click and drag action – for example hold c, click on an edge to start the dragging, and release immediately the c before the dragging continue. Well that works fine but the question is how to snap again during the same drag to another edge. If I activate the snapping again while still dragging, I’m able to snap only to the nearest edge of the same object. Luckily point snapping in this way works fine to any point of any object.

Did anybody find details of how to perform these kind of snapping in the help? I’m going to answer my own questions and add some feed back to my previous message.

I think that the interactive primitive creation is real advantage only if used along with snapping. A lot of scenes require plenty of cube primitives for objects like walls, tables, shelves, windows, stairs and etc.

I spent some more time testing and looking and I can conclude now that it doesn’t appear to be any mentioning in the help how to snap objects during the interactive creation. I’m guessing that they left this to the users to figure out by themselves:D. And here is my findings so far.

Snapping to live objects – Maya orients the primitives with the normals of the live objects and this works perfectly for objects like the sphere and objects with round base like the cylinder and cone but is problematic with the orientation of cubes and planes. To check the problem, create a cube, rotate it randomly, make it live, and try to create interactively other cubes snapped to it. I have no idea how Maya decides the orientation of the new objects – one would expect them to be aligned with the live cube but they are not. The workaround here is to rotate the object afterwards along its local Y.

Snapping to objects – the orientation here is always along the world axis but snapping to edge is problematic. Regardless edge or point snapping as I mention earlier you have to start with snapping enabled (or holding c) and disable it immediately after the fist click before you continue to drag. Then if you want to complete the shape by constrain snapping it to another component (this is more relevant to cube and plane). while still dragging activate the snapping again when the cursor is in the proximity of the desired point. This works good for points snapping but unfortunately doesn’t work for edge snapping. For edges it snaps the shape back to the original edge.

Emil3d
08-06-2006, 12:27 AM
... I'm especially interested, please, tell me, someone who was fortunate enough to play with the new Maya "8"... did they finally integrate FBIK or not????? Is it usable now, or is it the same FBIK from Maya 7?Sorry to disappoint you but it doesn’t appear to be any new features or changes to the FBIK from the previous version. I haven’t used it a lot, however as far as I remember, in the previous version I think the problems were not due to lack of features or bad design but mostly bugs, performance, or implementation issues. So someone has to take the time and actually give it a shot in order to make a judgment if the things work the same in the new version

Emil3d
08-06-2006, 12:41 AM
If I save a file in Maya 8 that I previously created in Maya 7, I can't reopen it in 7. Is this a problem or am I doing something wrong? Does it work fine for everyone else?..... Hehe. When a programs doesn’t have Save As older version option, you shouldn’t expect a scene saved from the newer version to be open by older versions. Nice try though:)

By the way I’ve seen a lot of threads about how to change the file using a text editor in order to achieve the Save As older version function but it must be tested with 8 to 7. Just make a search for it. …I went to try the sculpting tool to see the new feature in it, whenever I go to make my first click on the model Maya 8 shuts down...

This works fine on my system. Sounds like video card/driver compatability with v, 8 problem.

John-S
08-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks, for some reason I thought I opened my files that were saved in 7 in Maya 6.5 but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks Emil3d!

NUKE-CG
08-06-2006, 01:46 AM
**NUKE-CG is so bored of everyone calling Maya 8 a 7.02 or 7.1 update, the cliche has been beaten to death

And I don't blame the users, really, Autodesk's press release is vague and only touches on a fraction of Maya 8's features. Advertising it's just a 64bit version with polygon caching, and mental Ray 3.5 is very poor marketing.. do you not like money Autodesk?

Very confusing.

Houkah
08-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Houkah ...sounds pretty interesting. Is there anything on the web about it? And what does it do?

Ckas, if i remember correctly it was created for architectural renders. It did reflections, solid and blurred, very well. There was also an option for auto-rounded corners, so you wouldn't have to go in and chamfer/bevel every edge in your scene. (It was a render-time effect so it didn't actually change your geometry) There was some other stuff as well, master zap is the one who wrote it, so he could probably give you the best info on it. Again that shader isn't in maya 8, so sorry everyone for the off topic post.

yinako
08-06-2006, 06:39 AM
I see autodesk has dump all the good stuff from max to maya, like colour softmod, shaded uv, interactive creation stuff...its a sign they may go down this way to bring about everying worth a while in maya.

now you can bake occlusion from high to low res, and all the map transfers looks are very well done, there goes the advantage turtle has over maya...

OmegaN
08-06-2006, 08:44 AM
I see autodesk has dump all the good stuff from max to maya, like colour softmod, shaded uv, interactive creation stuff

About the interactive creation stuff, do you mean the primitive creation or have they actually implemented more interactivity in their other tools?

mech7
08-06-2006, 09:25 AM
The shelf editor is very unstable.. even deleting and item, or changing an image will make it crash :wise:

Kurosaki Ichigo
08-06-2006, 10:38 AM
So is it stable for the PC version? Has Autodesk mentioned any future fixes for the complaints some of you have?

rintintin
08-06-2006, 11:03 AM
"Collapse Edge"*

This menu item has been removed from Maya 8
Use [Polygons] Edit Mesh->Merge To Center instead.

I would but it doesn't work..

* note, you can still get to collapse edge but only in polygon marking menu and on the shelf

Also,
A lot of the poly modeling name changes are obviously to make Max/Maya terminology the same but quite frankly its a mess. One I will get used to, but a mess all the same.

jabbermacy
08-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Look at this screen:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/images/viewport_override_large.jpg

How many of you have that Direct3D option? :shrug:

OK, what's the secret? How do you have this option?

benwatt
08-06-2006, 01:43 PM
OK, what's the secret? How do you have this option?

It has already been mentioned in this thread, but just to reitterate, this is an excerpt from the Maya 8 What's New documents:

Override the scene view with a renderer of choice

You now have the ability to write your own plug-in and override Maya’s interactive scene view renderer with the interactive renderer of your choice. Two example plug-ins have been provided with the SDK, one for OpenGL and one for Direct 3D. (Note that these example plug-ins have not yet been compiled and need to be compiled before they can be accessed via the Plug-in Manager.)

Once you have loaded your plug-in via the Plug-in Manager, the name of your custom renderer will appear under the Renderer Panel menu (for example, Renderer > openGLViewport Renderer).

So you won't see that option in less you've compiled it and added it via the Plug-in Manager.

Fess
08-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Guys,

Was just reading threads about "dongles" etc. Seems convenient.......
Anyone know if there is a dongle for Maya 8 unlimited student edition ? :surprised

Curious
Fess

Topolino
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I find that the "what's new"-pages under help in Maya 8 does a better job of listing the new features than the current marketing information from Autodesk.

I have collected them in a pdf (http://herrklein.com/upload/Maya_8_Whatsnew.pdf) for anyone who is interested.

benwatt
08-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I find that the "what's new"-pages under help in Maya 8 does a better job of listing the new features than the current marketing information from Autodesk.

I have collected them in a pdf (http://herrklein.com/upload/Maya_8_Whatsnew.pdf) for anyone who is interested.

Yeah, the What's New certainly explains the features better than anything available on their site does. There's a few example movies too that briefly explain some of the features.

Autodesk also put up (I think it must have just gone up on the Friday as I didn't see it for the first few days Maya 8 was available) an extensive set of Release Notes which list all the things that have been fixed too: http://downloads.alias.com/products/bronze/myr_Maya8_ReleaseNotes.pdf

I think that is available to everyone, not just Platinum users.

JWRodegher
08-07-2006, 02:07 AM
Am I the only one who is having an extremely buggy skinning paint weights tool?
I have tryed to paint weights on maya 8, and it was a really major pain in the a$$. As soon as I finished paiting some influences they would go all screwy as soon as I pick another bone and back. I tryed the exactly same model in maya7 and I was able to skin it in no time, now, am I missing some changes in this tools for maya 8 or they just messed it up?

nekhlym
08-07-2006, 03:08 AM
liked what they have done when you are creating an obj
like max.have been using max for years but have changed to maya
and like it more and more,but even more whit maya 8

cpan
08-07-2006, 08:47 AM
-one thing i need to mention though is that maya cannot display custom shaders into the viewport

This is fixed in Maya 8.

Jill

Jill, you mean custom mr shaders such as mix8layers/etc (not dgs, mib*, misss shaders, but custom ones) can now be previewed into the viewport with a hack or smth?

i managed to get them displayed into the hypershade but not into the viewport... :shrug:

any hints? :)

MMighe
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
One thing about new features: why implement hdr exposure control only in hardware preview and not in rendering? I'ts a good feature, but it is like an "half implementation". Tell me if i'm wrong.

drhrach
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I didn`t find in "what`s new" nothing about subdiv creases rendering in MR.
Am I right ,MR still not support subdiv full creases,please someone check it.

BrianKloc
08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I like being able to enlarge ramps and graphs in the attribute editor for more precise editing. However, it seems that you can only enlarge ramps and graphs built into nodes such as in Hair attributes. I can not find a way to enlarge a ramp texture in the hypershade.

katisss
08-07-2006, 04:48 PM
just wondering where the faboulus new mental ray docs (with pics in the tutorials)
are hidden?

zmip
08-10-2006, 09:14 AM
btw when im at it, does anyone know if the bevel tool have gotten any visualfeedback in maya8?
Why not just edit the bevel radius in the channelbox? (assuming history turned on) Click the channel and middle-mouse drag in the viewport. Am I understanding you right?

yinako
08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
is it me or somethings up with the texture filtering in viewport?

Because every time I set the hardware filter to mipMapTilinear, it gets set back to bilinear in hardware texturing under viewports. non of the option other than bilinear seems to work

Triple-Q
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
What are the new changes in rigging?

is there now smoother animation at an easier way?

grafix
08-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Has anybody had the opportunity to try satellite rendering in Maya 8? Did they fix this (in)famous bug with the satellites hanging most of the time around, waiting for whatever?

3D-SBG
08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Guys,

Was just reading threads about "dongles" etc. Seems convenient.......
Anyone know if there is a dongle for Maya 8 unlimited student edition ? :surprised

Curious
Fess

I'm not sure if this will work with the student edition but you might contact them to find out.

http://www.novedge.com/Page_Bookmark.asp?SKU=1921

-Jim

MSB
08-12-2006, 04:19 PM
please ,

did they fix the reloading texture bug?

here

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=389632

rasamaya
08-12-2006, 10:06 PM
What are the new changes in rigging?

is there now smoother animation at an easier way?

I know you can do a non-destructive tween of an animation, instead of corrective blending.
Looks quick and easy.

RobC
08-14-2006, 12:19 AM
,,,,,in mac

Buexe
08-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Am I the only one who is having an extremely buggy skinning paint weights tool?
I have tryed to paint weights on maya 8, and it was a really major pain in the a$$. As soon as I finished paiting some influences they would go all screwy as soon as I pick another bone and back. I tryed the exactly same model in maya7 and I was able to skin it in no time, now, am I missing some changes in this tools for maya 8 or they just messed it up?

I`m having similar problems with the paint skin weights tool:

1. undo screws up my skin weights ( not undoable )
2. Weights are not being set at times ( no influence on "hold" & my scripts are able to set them)
3. There were situations when going back to bind Pose screwed up my mesh ( undoable )

No fun @ all. I like the update style of Maya 8 ( better performance and cleaning up instead of fancy tools I don`t need). But this is Version 8 of Maya and a basic tool like "paint skin weights" does not really work, s...w that. And I think I`m on the track of a few more bugs already.

de_tomato
08-14-2006, 02:47 AM
Its seem like this version is very prone to crach a lot. When pressing the wrong button will cause it to crash (something like Ctrl+ Left/Right cursor). Or if you press a key too many times when its processing/updating on the bacground, it will crash too.

The soft selection will cost the system to slow down. Tried with 100k polys object, it went well for first few time, then the system will slow down drastically.

JWRodegher
08-14-2006, 03:45 AM

2. Weights are not being set at times ( no influence on "hold" & my scripts are able to set them)
3. There were situations when going back to bind Pose screwed up my mesh ( undoable )

No fun @ all. I like the update style of Maya 8 ( better performance and cleaning up instead of fancy tools I don`t need). But this is Version 8 of Maya and a basic tool like "paint skin weights" does not really work, s...w that. And I think I`m on the track of a few more bugs already.

Have you tryed unchecking the "after bind: maintain max influences" in the smooth bind options? That actually totally solved the problems I got (I forgot that I used to do this in maya 7 too). So there, that should solve it! If not, let me know.

pivot
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I only had silver membership during the Maya 8 launch, so I was never offered to download the update. I've checked with some of the resellers and gotten some prices for the update package maya 7 to maya 8, and some membership options. If I go for the membership only (No grades of membership anymore like bronze, silver and platinum. Just plain community membership) will I get the update to maya 8 through the community like the previous platinum members did, or did I have to own a platinum membership during the launch to get that 'special treatment'?

benwatt
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I only had silver membership during the Maya 8 launch, so I was never offered to download the update. I've checked with some of the resellers and gotten some prices for the update package maya 7 to maya 8, and some membership options. If I go for the membership only (No grades of membership anymore like bronze, silver and platinum. Just plain community membership) will I get the update to maya 8 through the community like the previous platinum members did, or did I have to own a platinum membership during the launch to get that 'special treatment'?

If you're a Platinum member you have access to downloads old and new at any time, so yes you'd get access to the download of Maya 8. However, I didn't think you were allowed to purchase Platinum membership on its own, ie you might have to buy your upgrade AND the membership.

3D-SBG
08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
I didn't think you were allowed to purchase Platinum membership on its own, ie you might have to buy your upgrade AND the membership.

When checking different options before I made my purchase I found out that this is the way it works.

-Jim

_vine_
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM

I was really hoping this was going to be fixed in version 8. Paint weights and weight normalization has been messed up since version 6.5 came out.

Have you tryed unchecking the "after bind: maintain max influences" in the smooth bind options? That actually totally solved the problems I got (I forgot that I used to do this in maya 7 too). So there, that should solve it! If not, let me know.

I'll give this a try and see if it works.

alexx
08-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Has anybody had the opportunity to try satellite rendering in Maya 8? Did they fix this (in)famous bug with the satellites hanging most of the time around, waiting for whatever?

i only tested that very briefly since i wanted to know as well and for me all seemed to be working.
for now i only tested with one master and 2 slaves rendering and all seemed to be the way you would expect it.
hope it stays that way under production environment.

cheers

alexx

thematt
08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
hahaa..as expected maya is unstable and the paint weight tool is unworkable with..I won't even take the time to bring those bug to support..I'm unstalling maya 8 right at that moment and stay on version 7.01 until we have a .01 release that work better, or I'll simply will take the decision to change the software for what ever other product that I can work with without all those damn anoying bugs users have ask to change since version 6.5..last correct version was 6.0 at least there everything almost was working the way it should.

cheers

JamSession
08-17-2006, 04:41 AM
I think it is time for a complete rewrite from groud up. Maya was built from ground up when 1997???? So i think after 10 years it may be a good idea to start from the ground up.

The only problem is Autodesk could take the cheap and efficent way and only rewrite one program scrapping Max and Maya creating "Mayax".

Maybe Autodesk could partner with Apple and integrate Maya with Final Cut pro, and the new upcoming compositing package (former Shake), and or with Adobe and integrate more PSD features.

Right now it seems like the versions are just bug fixes, and we are paying thousands for bug fixes and still constantly running into more problems.

John-S
08-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Maybe Autodesk could partner with Apple and integrate Maya with Final Cut pro, and the new upcoming compositing package (former Shake)...
I am more of a mac lover then anyone on this forum I think but this is really a stretch. First off, Autodesk and Apple Partner? Autodesk is done nothing but leave Apples users in the dark and not offer Autocad, 3Ds Max etc for the macintosh. Apple has made Shake not available for Windows anymore. These company's are so different from eachother I don't think its even remotely a possibility to do something like this. Even if they did, How much would they charge? Shake, Maya, Final Cut Pro etc...... They would be combining all their big software into one and would have to charge sooooo much money.

I'm just hoping we see a shake/final cut pro/motion all built into one at a decent price but thats still a big stretch.......

I image once Apple has the compositing and editing solution down they will move to the next step and buy either a small mostly unknown 3D program or photoshop like program that has alot of potential and rebuild it or them from the ground up in Apple style to continue on with thier visual effects/editing solutions.

As a way of trying not to let my post derail this thread I will say that I have been running Maya 8 at more of a beginner level (just being honest....LOL) since it came out on platnium downloads and so far I am very pleased with it (all apple UB etc complaints aside). Its unfamilar now that all the names are changed for alot of tools and it will make it difficult for someone to use a Learning Maya 7 book if they are running Maya 8 but still its not to shabby once your used too it. (I bring out the book comment because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would use a Maya 6 book in Maya 7)

alexx
08-17-2006, 03:30 PM
i tested satellite rendering a bit further and it still IS broken.

at least in the GUI (where it is meant to be used to speed up texturing and lighting tests) i have a workflow to reproduce the old behaviour where only my master machine does the rendering while the slaves run idle.

for me that happens, when i e.g. change shader connections after rendering once.

in batch mode it "seems" to work so far.. lets see :/

cheers

alexx

pixelmonk
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm just hoping we see a shake/final cut pro/motion all built into one at a decent price but thats still a big stretch.......

typically all-in-one apps are bloated and do less than if developed separately. While integration is key... keeping the software separate and distinct is the way to go. This way if a person doesn't want to use Motion, they shouldn't have to pay for the development that it took to integrate it into the franken ShakeFCPMotion bloatware.

Nuisance
08-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know why there seems to be so much bellyaching going on. I would agree that Maya 8 isn't wildly outlandish with new features, but it still has some nice goodies. One thing I've certainly noticed is that Mental Ray is now running 1/3rd faster than in the previous installation. That's something to crow about I reckon.

Venkman
08-17-2006, 04:45 PM
I mean this in the most polite way possible- I am not trying to start an argument, merely asking a question.

If so many people are disappointed with Maya 8, why did so many upgrade? I've always thought that voting with your wallet is the only way to make your voice really heard.

Or did most of you guys just have the Platinum subscription, so you had paid for it up front?

Venkman
08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Looks like pics from v. 8.5.

http://www.cgtalk.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=13728

Sorry if this was posted before.

sacslacker
08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
That'd be nice if it was in 8.5. My bet is 9 or something like that. They'll most likely want to time it with Siggraph which is lame but par for the course nowadays.

Unfortunatly can't upgrade to 8 at the moment because Renderman doesn't seem to support v8 yet, not to mention several other plugins/shaders I have. Bleh....

John-S
08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
typically all-in-one apps are bloated and do less than if developed separately. While integration is key... keeping the software separate and distinct is the way to go. This way if a person doesn't want to use Motion, they shouldn't have to pay for the development that it took to integrate it into the franken ShakeFCPMotion bloatware.
Fair point.

Or did most of you guys just have the Platinum subscription, so you had paid for it up front?
Yes. I'm not happy on the mac side of things like I mentioned but I'm liking what I got so far aside from that.

I haven't had to use any of the things that people aren't really happy with but the Maya tech alerts (bugs) are coming in fast.....

JamSession
08-18-2006, 02:09 AM
I am more of a mac lover then anyone on this forum I think but this is really a stretch. First off, Autodesk and Apple Partner? Autodesk is done nothing but leave Apples users in the dark and not offer Autocad, 3Ds Max etc for the macintosh. Apple has made Shake not available for Windows anymore. These company's are so different from eachother I don't think its even remotely a possibility to do something like this. Even if they did, How much would they charge? Shake, Maya, Final Cut Pro etc...... They would be combining all their big software into one and would have to charge sooooo much money.

I completely agree, Autodesk really knows how to screw Mac users.

I didn't mean create 1 single package with everything, I meant more like how renderman is, a plug-in. Shake's native format is .iff, hopefully the new apple compositing package will be the same, I was thinking it would be nice to have some features that make the compositing easier, sorta like how it is with photoshop, you can render out layers in a PSD file open the PSD in photoshop with all the layers and blendmodes applied. Saves a good bit of time not having to open all the files layer it together and change the blend modes.

That is why I will always be a linux user, I get the best of both worlds with Apple Software and PC software without the viruses and bugs.

pixelmonk
08-18-2006, 02:29 AM
I completely agree, Autodesk really knows how to screw Mac users.

no one ever told those people to stick with a Mac. The same could be said with Apple screwing over Shake PC users. You have to change.. adapt. After all.. it's just a machine and sometimes you need more than one if you have apps that work better on another platform or apps that just aren't available on it.

John-S
08-18-2006, 05:22 AM
I understand what you are saying Jamsession. I'm not so much trying to say they screw apple users vs that paticular company just doesn't have a big macintosh history and they would lose alot of money. But yes, I agree that plug in applications are pretty cool. I don't have any but I am interested in Vue Extreme so I guess I'll have to wait and see if that works like advertised (being a plug-in app) before fully stating that plugin apps are great.

Otherwise I think what you are really looking for is Apple to create a package that works exactly how the Final Cut Studio works but includes a 3D App (that does both modeling and landscapes), a Paint Shop/Photoshop app, Soundtrack, Final Cut Pro, Shake/Motion, and DVD Studio Pro all for 1 price and them all to work in harmony perfectly. Then package this as a Pro Level Suite for x amount of dollars and a hobbiest version for X amount of dollars while still selling the current Final Cut Studio for the price it is for editors. That would be cool. Only buy 1 update, only call one support line, etc.

All of that can be applied for PC's and adobe instead if you wish.

Pixelmonk is also correct that you can't so much say a company is completly screwing people by not jumping on the Apple bandwagon because Apple has done this in return as brought out. Only difference is that Autodesk and other companies are not creating Hardware and trying to use software as a way to grow thier market share in the computer industry so its a little bit of a wierd situation there. Although Apple has given people now the oppertunity to run windows and linux on the mac so they can have almost any software they want so thats cool.

Only thing I'm really irratated with Autodesk for on the mac side is that they are leaving the Apple users who need Universal Binary in the dark with this new release and it would be nice to have an announcement as to some type of idea when it will be seen so I know if I could or should by a macpro in the next few months.

One final note, I got my boxed version of Maya 8 in today and I'm a little saddend by the box. No books included. No handy dandy keyboard shortcut laminate thing (there is a small book like a video games instructions inside but I like the old way better), no pictures of the splash screen on Maya 8 anywhere to be found, and the branding all over the box. I know branding (writing Autodesk in huge letters everywhere) makes them alot of money but I liked the slick boxes of Maya 6.5 and 7 better. Plus they mention books in the little instruction thingy that are for Maya 7. It would be difficult to use a book for Maya 7 when all the tool names and locations have changed.

Possitive - The DVD Case is better now and the system requirements is a sticker instead of being printed on the box that might be a good hint of Universal Binary soon like another member pointed out in another thread.

(sorry guys I'm sure I'm wierd for pointing out the box etc but I personally enjoy getting a slick box with some printed material inside so I can review the info when I'm not at the computer)

almux
08-18-2006, 08:01 AM
no one ever told those people to stick with a Mac. The same could be said with Apple screwing over Shake PC users. You have to change.. adapt. After all.. it's just a machine and sometimes you need more than one if you have apps that work better on another platform or apps that just aren't available on it.

25% of Maya's sales are to Macusers. Please think about it too: why should you stick to PC?
Mac is now cheaper, faster and runs all systems. There are some people out there who also care for quality and beauty.
Alias was Mac friendlier, though nevertheless Autodesk will have to change its attitude and habits too.
No doubth about it.

MasonDoran
08-18-2006, 08:29 AM
-converting is fine if you are a small team that is comfortable with mac already and has no worries about making a transition or wont have any pipeline issues.

Using Mac in a Game Studios is not going to happen though.....where a game engine of choice is only available on PC.

Platform conflicts is just a headache most people would rather avoid...

benwatt
08-18-2006, 09:02 AM
(sorry guys I'm sure I'm wierd for pointing out the box etc but I personally enjoy getting a slick box with some printed material inside so I can review the info when I'm not at the computer)

I remember 3DS Max users complaining about the same problem when Discreet was swallowed up whole by Autodesk - boxes were downsized quite considerably. Haven't received my boxed copy yet, but I quite like the thought of Maya not taking up so much space on my shelf!

John-S
08-18-2006, 09:20 AM
The box is only a quarter of an inch thinner then the Maya 7 box but with nothing inside of it. The Maya 7 box did not take hardly any room, had style, had books, etc. This new box just seems like an off the shelf cheap Autodesk program that they decided to have match the rest of thier boxes maybe?

(feeling silly for writing so much about a box etc but whatever....I paid good money for it right?)

almux
08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
The box is only a quarter of an inch thinner then the Maya 7 box but with nothing inside of it. The Maya 7 box did not take hardly any room, had style, had books, etc. This new box just seems like an off the shelf cheap Autodesk program that they decided to have match the rest of thier boxes maybe?

(feeling silly for writing so much about a box etc but whatever....I paid good money for it right?)

Maybe Autodesk is also modernizing it sales strategy and is planing to have thinner prizes in a near future as well...
One can only hope in this desperate world... <8-)

Venkman
08-18-2006, 01:04 PM
25% of Maya's sales are to Macusers. Please think about it too: why should you stick to PC?
Mac is now cheaper, faster and runs all systems. There are some people out there who also care for quality and beauty.
Alias was Mac friendlier, though nevertheless Autodesk will have to change its attitude and habits too.
No doubth about it.

I love my mac, but those new 64-bit Mac Pros will not let you use bootcamp to boot into Windows 64, only XP.

Don't you have to have a 64-bit system to use Maya 8 64-bit?

almux
08-19-2006, 07:39 AM
I love my mac, but those new 64-bit Mac Pros will not let you use bootcamp to boot into Windows 64, only XP.

Don't you have to have a 64-bit system to use Maya 8 64-bit?

I hope never to have to figure out that one... Got no Intel Mac yet and never had any use for Windows-only apps.
If it has to come too, I will have to make my own decision.
Probably, the use of a Mac still will be the best. BootCamp has upgraded 2 or 3 days ago and will keep on being improved even after its beta state. Certainly well enough to take advantage of its 64bits with any Linux or Windows OSs.
Autodesk has just everything to gain getting a UB version of Maya since there are plenty of users for it plus the strong probabilities that Vista won't be immediately worflow implementable...

pixelmonk
08-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Autodesk has just everything to gain getting a UB version of Maya since there are plenty of users for it plus the strong probabilities that Vista won't be immediately worflow implementable...

Do you know this for a fact or are you basing this on the fact that you are an avid Mac fan? There's nothing wrong with that.. I'm just saying that you shouldn't post that there are pleny of UB users if in fact there may not be at the moment. I'd imagine many people were waiting for the MacPro to come out before jumping on the UB bandwagon, and even then, it'll take people time to switch over.

almux
08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Do you know this for a fact or are you basing this on the fact that you are an avid Mac fan? There's nothing wrong with that.. I'm just saying that you shouldn't post that there are pleny of UB users if in fact there may not be at the moment. I'd imagine many people were waiting for the MacPro to come out before jumping on the UB bandwagon, and even then, it'll take people time to switch over.
;) Certainly a Mac fan... Yet very interested about any gorgeous and clever inventions boosting art and creativity on this planet.
I can understand that all that UB stuff may seams quite irrelevant for PC-only users, and I bag my pardon for this insistance.
Mac users are a small % as a number, but a good % in termes of "consumers". More than 2500 apps are already writen in UB and only few of the main ones are late (Adobe planed for 2007, yet works pretty much at the same speed under "Rosetta" - PPC emulator).
Lightwave* and Cinema4D are UB, for instance.

Maya won't run under Rosetta, but is a good sale (or was?) on Macintosh. Will Autodesk play it the arrogance way and snob the Mac platform?
Maybe Autodesk has the $ to afford loosing few customers... But making monney should still be some kind of goal to them, I guess...
Plus, more I use Maya (though I'm often get crazy with adapting the logic) and less I would like to turn towards C4D or Lightwave to have an efficient tool for my delirium.

PS *Lightwave UB has been presented at Siggraph, but it looks like not being et released : http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-06f.html
C4D is UB: http://www.maxon.net/

martinw
08-19-2006, 09:14 PM
More than 2500 apps are already writen in UB and only few of the main ones are late (Adobe planed for 2007, yet works pretty much at the same speed under "Rosetta" - PPC emulator).

You seem to imply that it's a trivial matter to port to Mac/Intel and the apps that are not done are missing due to lack of interest. Doesn't the fact that it's the major apps that are "late" imply other explanations? For example maybe porting an extremely large and rather old application to Intel Mac is a non-trivial task. Also remember that large apps like Maya sit at the top of a long food chain in that they depend on many third party libraries, and all of those third party libraries have to be ported to Intel and tested within the package before the main package can be tested and released. Also the MacPro has only just come out, and you would not expect any release before that (given Maya is only qualified on PowerMacs currently.)

Just puzzled by all the angst. It's been stated quite clearly that it's coming, and exact release dates simply cannot be given for legal reasons.

Robert Bateman
08-20-2006, 01:19 AM
problems i have with Maya8.

The new create primitives stuff is a broken metaphor - the volume primitives do not work that way. It's also pretty lame and very annoying to use compared to say, modo. Should i re-write all of my plugins to use this broken metaphor? urgh.

You can no longer instance objects with ctrl+d. I don't like people messing with my short-cut keys, sure i can change them for myself, but i tend to support other people using Maya so i have found myself feeling like a beginner again.

I keep finding tools where they've removed features, for example poly extrude has lost it's scale/translate/rotate options. This is the first time this has happened with a Maya release, they used to mark features as deprecated, and then remove them the next version. It makes me very worried that they have set this new precedent of not caring that we might be using those features.

They've made the API & mel help docs unreadable. Thanks.

If you go into the script editor, type a few lines of random rubbish, then do Ctrl+Shift+L a few times, you will get 2 sets of line numbers. I guess that feature was added by an Autodesk guy who did not RTFM. The line numbers they have added to the script editor are useless, since they mean nothing if you select text and execute.

The buttons to switch between the graph editor, dopesheet & trax sit nastily on the right and obscure the underlying icons (ie, unless you maximise those windows, you can't actually use the new buttons)

To quote the API docs, "The MGeometryManager provides an interface for loading and using hardware textures.", to which i have to say WTF???? That's not entirely obvious given the name and the function getGeometry() that it defines. Again, WTF?

Anyone else find that the poly messages obscure what the hell they are trying to click on? Why the hell have they re-written all of the messages that appear in the help box, so that they now have two sets of messages? Why do that? I know how to use maya, and it already gives you interactive help, so why annoy me by holding my hand?

I'm also interested why pluginInfo -dependNodeInfo would ever be useful? Why the hell do i want API side node ID's in mel? Not really sure, and what does it actually give you?

And, don't even get me started on Autodesk's support (or rather, complete and total lack of any support whatsoever). 3 days to reply to my support query? Well it's now been a week, cheers Autodesk.

This is the first version of Maya where upgrading plug-ins is not a simple case of re-compiling. This is something i am fuming about. It shows a complete and total lack of respect for, and a complete lack of understanding of the existing Maya userbase.

Emil3d
08-20-2006, 07:33 AM
…You can no longer instance objects with ctrl+d. I don't like people messing with my short-cut keys, sure i can change them for myself, but i tend to support other people using Maya so i have found myself feeling like a beginner again… Hi Bateman, the former Ctrl + d is now Ctrl + Shift + d.
Ctrl + d now just make a duplicate bypassing the options for which I’ve always been using Shift + d. The only scenario where Shift + d cannot do the same as Ctrl + d is if applied on the last copy right after a smart transform which is very rare occasion and can be fixed by simply deselecting and selecting the object. Adding additional hotkeys for just that seems unnecessary complication to me. … I keep finding tools where they've removed features, for example poly extrude has lost it's scale/translate/rotate options. This is the first time this has happened with a Maya release, they used to mark features as deprecated, and then remove them the next version. It makes me very worried that they have set this new precedent of not caring that we might be using those features…Actually they are not removed; all are available in the history nodes. They simply removed their access from the options window, which I don’t mind at all. Those attributes for me are really useful only with interaction which is not available from the option boxes but only through history.
If it depends on me I will completely get rid of the current command options boxes and make them appear in the Attribute Editor in the same way the tool’s settings do allowing interactivity with the same interface and layout as the history node that will be created when applied. The difference between options and history node tab should be emphasized by a different background color or shade and the buttons at the bottom should say Apply & Close, Apply, Close, and Copy Tab to allow multiple option boxes opened for different frequently used commands and ideally the box able to shrink automatically to the content. … If you go into the script editor, type a few lines of random rubbish, then do Ctrl+Shift+L a few times, you will get 2 sets of line numbers. I guess that feature was added by an Autodesk guy who did not RTFM. The line numbers they have added to the script editor are useless, since they mean nothing if you select text and execute... Me not being an avid mel user, the Ctrl + Shift + L is something I didn’t know before and when I learn about a useful hotkeys or commands in this way I go and check the docs to find out how come I’ve missed it. Sadly I wasn’t able to find any mentioning of this in the docs and making a query in the Hotkey editor returns “assigned to nothing” So I guess the one who wrote the line numbers feature may have not being aware of how it could have worked even after reading the manual:). … The buttons to switch between the graph editor, dopesheet & trax sit nastily on the right and obscure the underlying icons (ie, unless you maximise those windows, you can't actually use the new buttons)... When I checked that, as you said I also got the buttons redraw over the icons when reducing the window, but when moving the mouse over them they simply disappear revealing what’s under them. In that respect I appreciate the change in Hypershade where they moved the Show top/bottom buttons all the way to the right since those were buttons that I use a lot and clipping them by a reduced window was very annoying. … Anyone else find that the poly messages obscure what the hell they are trying to click on? Why the hell have they re-written all of the messages that appear in the help box, so that they now have two sets of messages? Why do that? I know how to use maya, and it already gives you interactive help, so why annoy me by holding my hand?... For me this is not a problem, it can be turned off from the preferences and the icon of the cursor still indicates clearly the action. Switching the view or slightly navigating it makes the prompt disappear. I guess it might be useful for a beginner. And by the way, the help line reports “no help available” I guess they wanted to make the interactive creation as a more obvious state that needs to be completed before proceeding.

Anyway overall I found the new features as improvement by allowing more options. They may be far behind comparing other products but it is step forward from the previous version. I found it more convenient holding shift and x to make a cube on the grid than the steps to achieve the same previously and snapping to points or edges while creating a primitive saves some time. But you seem to be more of a plug in guy and in that respect you know better how Maya is doing.

Aikiman
08-20-2006, 08:31 AM
damn Maya8 is excrutiatingly slow to load on my MAc!

almux
08-20-2006, 09:29 AM
You seem to imply that it's a trivial matter to port to Mac/Intel and the apps that are not done are missing due to lack of interest. Doesn't the fact that it's the major apps that are "late" imply other explanations? For example maybe porting an extremely large and rather old application to Intel Mac is a non-trivial task. Also remember that large apps like Maya sit at the top of a long food chain in that they depend on many third party libraries, and all of those third party libraries have to be ported to Intel and tested within the package before the main package can be tested and released. Also the MacPro has only just come out, and you would not expect any release before that (given Maya is only qualified on PowerMacs currently.)

Just puzzled by all the angst. It's been stated quite clearly that it's coming, and exact release dates simply cannot be given for legal reasons.

Thank You. It's cool the announcements have been done about UB portings.
Of course, I'm plenty aware of the tremendous scripting and programming work it is for many companies to have a their UB version done... but UB has definitely become "the" standart for the near future.
There is lot of monney envolved. BTW, as example, the new EFIs in Vista might also force apps creators to go through terrible compilings and even have them UB for Windows too...
I'm sure Autodesk has the means, the skill developers and the costumers potential crowd to urge with a UB version of any of their applications.

John-S
08-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Maya8 is excrutiatingly slow to load on my MAc!
Maya 7 = 5 seconds on Powermac G5
Maya 8 = 11 seconds on Powermac G5

Slower yes. Excrutiantlingly?

denil
08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
now that maya 8 has been released and people have tried it out, i wanna know if there are any bugs in it before i think bout upgradin... my friend came up with this problem that some error would come and the render globals would disappear... also whn he tried rendering, maya 1st rendered persp and then the camera even though persp was not set 2 b rendered.. has anyone else come up with any issues??

almux
08-21-2006, 05:41 AM
now that maya 8 has been released and people have tried it out, i wanna know if there are any bugs in it before i think bout upgradin... my friend came up with this problem that some error would come and the render globals would disappear... also whn he tried rendering, maya 1st rendered persp and then the camera even though persp was not set 2 b rendered.. has anyone else come up with any issues??

Maybe Autodesk should propose Maya 7 as upgradable cheaper entry leveled version... As v.7 seams to work perfectly on a Mac and yet be good on PCs...

revilo3D
08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
shame to hear plugs for maya 8 are not a simple recompile.. This will only delay maya 8 plugin rollouts im guessing.

shame to hear crtl shift d is now being used - that was my duplicate option box quick key.

shame to say i havnt even been able to play at all with maya 8 - still waiting for our licence! (since release date!)

:(

Robert Bateman
08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi Bateman, the former Ctrl + d is now Ctrl + Shift + d.....

I am aware of that, however as a user of Maya since V1, this is damn annoying since it's difficult to retrain my slow brain to adjust to something that i've been used to for 8 years.... It sets a new precedent for a Maya release, it's a bit like saying - "It's ok, they've changed space to mean setKey, they've changed s to mean attribute editor, Ctrl+A now saves your file, delete now creates a polyCube.....". If you want to change those things you have always had the ability, but re-learning hot-keys takes time.

Actually they are not removed; all are available in the history nodes. They simply removed their access from the options window, which I don’t mind at all. Those attributes for me are really useful only with interaction which is not available from the option boxes but only through history.

They are useful, that's the point. They are only useless if you like doing everything manually - either via mouse clicks, or by writing a script. I liked the ability to utilise the options box as a pain free way to automate actions. Do it once, figure the values out, place into option box, repeat as many times as necessary. Now, it's, do it once, figure the values out, write a script, attach to hotkey (or place in shelf), repeat as necessary...

If it depends on me I will completely get rid of the current command options boxes and make them appear in the Attribute Editor...

That seems like quite a broken metaphor considering that you'd have to create the node before being able to select it. Again, that would break the entire reason as to why the options are there - a way to repeat and automate tasks for which you know the outcome.

Me not being an avid mel user, the Ctrl + Shift + L is ....

The Ctrl+Shift+L is more useful than the new line numbers to track errors since it can be used for portions of your script when testing.

But you seem to be more of a plug in guy and in that respect you know better how Maya is doing.

True, i am more of a plugin guy, but for me the changes pose serious questions about the way in which all of my previously written tools work. In Maya 7 there were very stable metaphors by which the entire GUI conformed. If you knew how to create a poly cube, you could understand how to create a PnMesh in my tools.

Do i add annoying heads up messages to all of my tools to hold peoples hands through the workflow? (they already have help line messages).
Do i change all of my locators and custom surface types to have interactive creation tools?
Do i delete all of my tool options that enable automated repetition of tasks? Does everyone manually do things these days? Do they all access history only, and interactivly do things they could automate previously? Is it right to force users do this by script?

The problem is that i'm no longer sure of what the metaphors are, or what they will be in the next version. In my opinion, any software package should present a consistant GUI to allow for the easiest learning curve possible. This is something that i now feel Maya8 lacks. It feels broken imho.

T-h-i-j-s
08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I think it is very strange that in this Autodesk Maya release, the dwg/dxf handling in Maya is very very poor. The Direct connect plugin has problems importing AutoCAD polylines with arc segments from dwg files. Exporting your NURBS curves using dwg or dxf to AutoCAD however is completely broken: using FBX it's impossible, the DWG translator has been abandonned as of Maya 7.0.1 and the documented DXF export provided bij the MayaToAlias plugin seems to have disappeared. Very strange... (and it sucks bigtime :sad: )

Emil3d
08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
...True, i am more of a plugin guy, but for me the changes pose serious questions ...Robert, you made your point clear, I understand, agree, and believe that your concerns are perfectly valid.

On the other hand I also believe that some of the changes will make life easier for certain people.
Having in mind that serious 3D jobs is still a teamwork enterprise, I’m inclined to justify the changes if what is now harder for guys like you (people who write plug ins, create automation, and the means of production) makes that much easier the life of guys like me who work at the end of the chain and use what ever is available or what the tech guys can create for them.
But if making life easier for certain users is at the expense of cutting possibilities that the tech guys can deliver, then such trade off is definitely not worth it.
I can only hope that this is not the case.

awnold
08-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I think it is very strange that in this Autodesk Maya release, the dwg/dxf handling in Maya is very very poor. The Direct connect plugin has problems importing AutoCAD polylines with arc segments from dwg files. Exporting your NURBS curves using dwg or dxf to AutoCAD however is completely broken: using FBX it's impossible, the DWG translator has been abandonned as of Maya 7.0.1 and the documented DXF export provided bij the MayaToAlias plugin seems to have disappeared. Very strange... (and it sucks bigtime :sad: )

autodesk purchases maya then hamstrings compatibility with their own products..

"Maya 7.0.1

The DwgTranslator plug-in is no longer distributed with this release. This plug-in provided import and export of DXF and DWG files.[238832]
DXF files have been associated with the FBX plug-in by default. The FBX plug-in can import AutoCAD Drawing Exchange Format Version 13 (.DXF).
Please visit our Conductor partners for other options for importing and exporting DXF and DWG:
www.alias.com/io_conductors (http://www.alias.com/io_conductors)"

can someone explain this? why would they remove this plugin? (obviously carried over to 8)

AtrusDni
08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Wow!!! Maya 8! . . . . . . .
yeaaaaah . . . . .
I can picture what the guys at Autodesk are saying, "LOOK!!! We changed the logo! . . and . . and . . . we completely screwed up the modeling menus!!! And instead of just saying Maya X on the title bar, we slapped our stupid corporate logo in there too! It can't just say Maya, we have to announce to the world that we now own Maya and that you are now a slave to the autodesk family line! Yay! Come buy our completely new, reskinned version of Maya 7!"

What a rip off. Sure, 64 bit is nice, but thats pretty much the only real improvement I have seen so far. Maybe my opinion wouldnt be so biased if I find anything else that is really worth an upgrade.

God I hate autodesk. Maybe if they come out with VRay integration i'll be happy. . . . Maybe. But I highly doubt it.

azshall
08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Wow!!! Maya 8! . . . . . . .
yeaaaaah . . . . .
I can picture what the guys at Autodesk are saying, "LOOK!!! We changed the logo! . . and . . and . . . we completely screwed up the modeling menus!!! And instead of just saying Maya X on the title bar, we slapped our stupid corporate logo in there too! It can't just say Maya, we have to announce to the world that we now own Maya and that you are now a slave to the autodesk family line! Yay! Come buy our completely new, reskinned version of Maya 7!"

What a rip off. Sure, 64 bit is nice, but thats pretty much the only real improvement I have seen so far. Maybe my opinion wouldnt be so biased if I find anything else that is really worth an upgrade.

God I hate autodesk. Maybe if they come out with VRay integration i'll be happy. . . . Maybe. But I highly doubt it.

Are you even serious?

Go to chaosgroup.com, make an account and take notice that you can now download a vray for maya build. :shrug:

If you hate the software so much, why even continue to do CG if its such a downer for you?

az

AtrusDni
08-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Cool, VRay for maya. Yay. And no, I dont hate the software. I love the software. Like I said, I hate the company that bought the software, and all their stupid changes. And the fact that they didnt really add enough features, I thought, to warrent a new version release. Yes, 64 bit is a big change, but its not that big of a change. Maya doesnt do anything more, or anything better then it used to. It also seems that half of the stuff that was changed was pointless. Autodesk could have used their resources in other areas of the program, but no, they chose to screw up things that were working perfectly fine, (the modeling menus, now split up and renamed all over the place) only to make it more like Max. I started off using Max and switched to Maya for a reason.

azshall
08-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Cool, VRay for maya. Yay. And no, I dont hate the software. I love the software. Like I said, I hate the company that bought the software, and all their stupid changes. And the fact that they didnt really add enough features, I thought, to warrent a new version release. Yes, 64 bit is a big change, but its not that big of a change. Maya doesnt do anything more, or anything better then it used to. It also seems that half of the stuff that was changed was pointless. Autodesk could have used their resources in other areas of the program, but no, they chose to screw up things that were working perfectly fine, (the modeling menus, now split up and renamed all over the place) only to make it more like Max. I started off using Max and switched to Maya for a reason.

So you're telling me that Maya 7 was a significant release? That 6.5 was, that 6.0 was? Come on .. Get with the times, when do you think the LAST significant release was?

Jesus, You sound like your incapable of adaptation. The fact they changed the menus the way they did is actually better in my opinion. To each his own on that however, at least since I rarely use NURBS, I can have all my poly tools sorted into the proper menu system not spanning the whole area due to NURBS being up there.

Whatever though.

Aside from 64bit, I can say the vert cache'ing implementation is kickass. As a generalist, I hope to benefit from this since I've not been able to in the past.

az

AtrusDni
08-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Whatever, if people like the new interface, more power to you. Adaptation isnt an issue, the point is, if I wanted an interface that "Looked like Max" . . . . I would use Max. Its that simple. The reason why I switched to Maya is because of Max's interface. Its horrible. The only real difference between all the major 3d programs is really the interface. They all do basically the same thing to a certain extent, with minor differences here and there. The fact that Autodesk is making maya look more like max is retarded, when they could be using their time trying to improve the program in more meaningful ways.