first glimpse on ZB 2.5

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=292471#post292471

meepmeep

lovisx
08-01-2006, 02:26 AM
yesssssss :love:

xsitar
08-01-2006, 02:29 AM
interesting. layers too now like mudbox. i'm just wondering if the ui/ workflow is still same.

Erklaerbar
08-01-2006, 02:31 AM
nope, its obviously not the same workflow, seems like projection master is obsolete.

My Fault
08-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Looks great but will they be releasing it any time this year?

BinarySoup
08-01-2006, 02:44 AM
yes, I was also surprised that they even had layers, I though Mudbox would be alone with that feature for a while. Pixologic definately weren't resting on their laurels, impressive. can't wait to see more videos and more features!! oh, and I sure hope they upload the demonstration to be done by Zack Petroc, he is insanely good.

schuubars
08-01-2006, 02:49 AM
mhh Zcast, sound sounds interesting, and the mesh extraction looks like fun, hope some peps will make some videos.

Per-Anders
08-01-2006, 02:51 AM
yes, I was also surprised that they even had layers, I though Mudbox would be alone with that feature for a while.

Well if you're just talking 3d texturing then Bodypaint has had layers for years (and multi channel support).

xsitar
08-01-2006, 02:54 AM
but it seems as if it still uses the tool mode and thus might not be a real 3d viewport. and it also still might have the weird ui and it's workflow (except the texturing stuff mentioned in the videos)

bale
08-01-2006, 03:19 AM
I wonder if it's still a free upgrade? If not then I would have to take at look at mudbox too. I like the gui it's feels more natural with my cintiq, then mudbox.

Ordibble-Plop
08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
but it seems as if it still uses the tool mode and thus might not be a real 3d viewport

I don't know - the following sentence might seem to indicate otherwise:

"SubTools – millions and millions of polygons and support for multiple objects and multiple textures."

DeadlyFreeze
08-01-2006, 04:19 AM
Pixologic has really got its head in the game. I was bummed on the new max news but this just made my day.

zzacmann
08-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Its amazing how something as little as editable 3d layers can make all the difference in the world. And the mesh extraction tool....Wow!

ashrafazlan
08-01-2006, 04:45 AM
wow..now i'm considerably torn between zbrush and mudbox

Sonk
08-01-2006, 05:15 AM
doesnt seem to have a perspective mode/view? it looks ortho. and why no GUI screenshots? ;)

ryankingslien
08-01-2006, 05:19 AM
first glimpse on ZB 2.5

meepmeep

You're fast. :)

A little more info: perspective editing is possible in the new ZBrush and it is still a free upgrade to those who purchase ZBrush. :)

Ryan

ashrafazlan
08-01-2006, 05:21 AM
there you go sonk ;)

i've got a question ryan, what were the specs for the machine you used in those recordings? i'd like to know the ammount of ram needed to achieve that much polygons

Womball
08-01-2006, 05:27 AM
IThey are presenting tomorrow I think, so probably more news will be released than. With the sub tool feature it looks like you can work with multiple objects now. Not sure if I like some of the topology you get with the extraction tool though. Looks a little wierd at the edges topology wise imo. I guess that can be cleaned up some how if it gets really ugly.

Sonk
08-01-2006, 05:49 AM
You're fast. :)

A little more info: perspective editing is possible in the new ZBrush and it is still a free upgrade to those who purchase ZBrush. :)

Ryan

still the issue of a normal GUI..does it have one? i really cant stand ZB 2.0 GUI. and workflow.

what about the default navigation? i really didnt like the ZB 2.0 way to move around on the canvas..it was odd and uncomfortable.

PS> its nice that we all have choice now, with Mudbox. But i still like to see some of the above issue address for Zbrush.

Rivendale
08-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Wow the mesh extraction looks very cool and 64-bit support will mean it is safe to upgrade to that for me since both 3ds max 9 and Zbrush will have it. I just hope they added some options for viewport navigation, pretty please say you did.:) I don't want to perform an advanced circus trick just to zoom.;)

CML

DorisDay
08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
still the issue of a normal GUI..does it have one? i really cant stand ZB 2.0 GUI. and workflow.

what about the default navigation? i really didnt like the ZB 2.0 way to move around on the canvas..it was odd and uncomfortable.

PS> its nice that we all have choice now, with Mudbox. But i still like to see some of the above issue address for Zbrush.

I don't think you'll ever be happy Sonk, myself & many others find the ZB UI & navigation just fine, but it's a good thing Mudbox is there for you & others that can't get there head around ZB's UI & Nav...

3D paint live, multiple textures & models, topology thing, layers etc etc, all for free if you have a ZB licence I'm in...:bounce:

Stefan-Morrell
08-01-2006, 08:20 AM
3D paint live, multiple textures & models, topology thing, layers etc etc, all for free if you have a ZB licence I'm in...

looks great...but when are they ever going to release this update?

DorisDay
08-01-2006, 08:23 AM
That is the question...

I would guess it will be an 06 release, it has to be, I don't want to see even more update videos at Siggraph 07 thats for sure...

zzacmann
08-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Hopefully Mudbox's impending release will light the much needed fire under Pixologic's ass to get Zbrush 2.5 finished. Im all for waiting to get the best quality, but this has been rediculous. Im fine with waiting several years between upgrades, but dont promise me something one year and still show up empty handed 2 years later. Thats just mean. I might cry.

pearson
08-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Ok, I have to say that mesh extraction, with full alpha control, looks very tasty! Plus multiple sub-tools. Hooray! :bounce:

vlad74
08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks to all the guys from Pixologic. Great job as usual. You never stop to amaze us.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rivendale
08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
...it's a good thing Mudbox is there for you & others that can't get there head around ZB's UI & Nav...
Well switching programs is not the best idea I think since zbrush is such a sweet program otherwise. I know a lot of people have problems with Zbrush navigation so I think it is in Pixologics best interest to adress that issue. It should not be a hard issue to solve either, just a bit of remapping of keys to make it User friendly, I mean why not? The interface I can live with but counter intuative workflow is worse. Sure you get used to it after a while, but once you've been in another 3d package for a while it feels awkward again.

Anyay the release seems sweet, hooray!

CML

mech7
08-01-2006, 09:44 AM
damn servers seem to be broken down under the pressure or something :(

LW3D
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
switching programs is not the best idea if your application easy to use and powerfull than other. I have heard really good thing about Mudbox. it is easy to use and powerfull.

sforsyth
08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
damn servers seem to be broken down under the pressure or something :(

Yep, can't even get onto ZBrushcentral anymore.

Edit ---- oops, seems to be up again now.

schuubars
08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
switching programs is not the best idea if your application easy to use and powerfull than other. I have heard really good thing about Mudbox. it is easy to use and powerfull.

Maybe but mhh i coul'd say the same that ZB2 is easy to use, within a day(if you read the help a bit), oh and i find ZB2 easy to use, even if it has weak sides(ortho/object handling, editable shortcuts)
But the nice thing about that is, that ZB and the other apps will be better in future mostly to erase the weak sides.

And im sure even in mudbox some guy will find the weak sides(after the real release), or quirks ect. that is just normal.
Yet it's strength is a typical windows GUI, thats all that non beta users for now knowing.

feureau
08-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Maya 8 and ZB 2.5 Whoo-hoo!! They should move christmas to august!!!

aaraaf
08-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I finally took the plunge and got my ZBrush license last week... especially since 2.5 is imminenet. Before my purchase I had a couple of license questions for them and they responded quickly and they seem to really like their users.

The interface takes a while to get used to but mostly because of what things are called... a tool is simply a mesh, the navigation buttons on top are for the document while the ones on the bottom are for the mesh and saving a ZBrush document doesn't save your tool (you only do that once!). But I'm really loving this program and wish I had gotten it earlier.

Now the only 2 things that sort of irritate me are taken care of... multiple tools(meshes) and painting directly in 3D. I'm one happy camper!

inverse catheter
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM

makes me feel kinda warm inside. i'll put my empty voice forward in favour of the current z viewport navigation. if they ever decide to change it to meet demand i severely hope it's optioned. and not dropped outright

it was a crazy long time coming. but well done the pixologic team

Gwot
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah same here... UI nav is not one of my beefs with ZB. I actually prefer it more than any other nav setup as it works the best with a tablet. I don't use my tablet in any other 3d app except mudbox.

inverse catheter
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I actually prefer it more than any other nav setup as it works the best with a tablet

"

my feeling exactly

lovisx
08-01-2006, 04:37 PM
yeah, the interface makes sense when you're using a tablet.

yinako
08-01-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah, the interface makes sense when you're using a tablet. No it does not, like some one said it feels circus tricks

Gwot
08-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for giving us our opinion oh great UI expert. =D
You've forced me to see the light!

yolao
08-01-2006, 04:53 PM
zbrush 2.5 really looks fantastic....congratulations PIXOLOGIC:thumbsup:

One question guys/gals about the perpective mode when modeling..

I have never used the mac version of zbrush 2, but it has been said that you can sculpt in perpective mode,...although it has been also been said that it is not a real perpective camera and that it`s not work very well...

so my questions are:

-Any zbrush 2 mac user can talk about the perp. mode?...i mean..since some have suggested that is not real and that does not work well i will like to know exactly what`s that mean?

-I wonder if the perp. mode in zbrush 2.5 will work like the mac version of zbrush 2?

thanks

yinako
08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
yeah, the interface makes sense when you're using a tablet. No it does not, like some one said it feels like circus tricks

blakshep
08-01-2006, 05:14 PM
No it does not, like some one said it feels like circus tricks
agree with that, but the circus trick is actually works ;)
and yes it's highly optimized for tablet. why would you want to use mouse in a paint program?
for example. With the wacky navigaton in zbrush you can rotate, zoom an pan in one step, with one button and one click(only one button if you use tablet)
in maya you can do this in 3 steps with 3 mouse button and a key. now thats a circus trick with a tablet.and what if you can't setup middle click for your pen?

GatorNic
08-01-2006, 05:24 PM
I just like the fact that in the Subtools video that he says that the model is 22 million polys.

I am glad Mudbox is coming out though, competition is good. it is only going to push more innovation in both programs.

mech7
08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
The features seem nice but I would like to see a release date :D

yinako
08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
agree with that, but the circus trick is actually works ;)
and yes it's highly optimized for tablet. why would you want to use mouse in a paint program?
for example. With the wacky navigaton in zbrush you can rotate, zoom an pan in one step, with one button and one click(only one button if you use tablet)
in maya you can do this in 3 steps with 3 mouse button and a key. now thats a circus trick with a tablet.and what if you can't setup middle click for your pen?

ever tried using maya with a tablet, thats what I call "interface makes sense when you're using a tablet."

frankely trying zbrush with a table cause my brain to implode, and a lack of co-ordination...I could even paint better with a game controller, if a game controller can be hooked up to zbrush.

lovisx
08-01-2006, 06:24 PM
ever tried using maya with a tablet, thats what I call "interface makes sense when you're using a tablet."

you see it's subjective, I can't stand to use maya with a tablet, but I use maya for rigging. Whatever has me using the buttons on the pen less makes me happier. I'll admit though that zbrush bugs me sometimes, especially changing brush size and focus.

PaulAdams
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
So its a 22million poly mesh, which looks to be responding at like 30fps. Is this actually going to be possible for people without super computers? With 2GB RAM, I can only goto 2million which gives a performance of around 10fps.

Have they discovered some new kind of magic for 2.5?

Womball
08-01-2006, 06:34 PM
You could get more than 2 million with 2 gigs. Just selectively hide parts to work on.

Buzzoff
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
first glimpse on ZB 2.5

meepmeep

I thought I saw a first glimps video of 2.5 back in Nov 2004. :)

vlad74
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
So its a 22million poly mesh, which looks to be responding at like 30fps. Is this actually going to be possible for people without super computers? With 2GB RAM, I can only goto 2million which gives a performance of around 10fps.

Have they discovered some new kind of magic for 2.5?

My PC at home is with 1.5 Gb and I havent had any problems with meshes about 3.5 - 4 mil polys.

PaulAdams
08-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Whilst working in full speed? It also depends on the canvas size though, as its a software renderer (right?). Working on a canvas of 1280x960, with a 2mill poly mesh full sized, its pretty damn slow. That 2.5 video has no slowdown, and isnt selectively hiding parts which makes me wonder if they've figured out a new solution for rendering meshes or if he's on some kind of 8GB machine.

Zarf
08-01-2006, 07:35 PM
The features seem nice but I would like to see a release date :D

Release dates don't mean anything if the company announcing them dosn't stick to them. Pixologic has proven to be so bad in this respect I wouldn't put much stock in anything they say about release dates anymore.

That being said it seems to me like pixologic was spending all this time preparing for war. The original featurelist for 2.5 was impressive enough (retopology tools, posing and geometry deformation rigs ect). What they have added since then makes it seem like they are taking the threat of mudbox seriously and have spent their development time accordingly.

As a 2.0 license holder I'm actually looking forward to 2.5 again. Heres hoping that it dosn't take another couple years to materialize.

Cheers
Xarf

Womball
08-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Whilst working in full speed? It also depends on the canvas size though, as its a software renderer (right?). Working on a canvas of 1280x960, with a 2mill poly mesh full sized, its pretty damn slow. That 2.5 video has no slowdown, and isnt selectively hiding parts which makes me wonder if they've figured out a new solution for rendering meshes or if he's on some kind of 8GB machine.

That's why I use the default size for modelling. 640x480 I think. You can zoom in all the way, although it does get pixelized than. But the advantage is that its really fast for higher poly counts. Also you don't get slow down when you zoom into the model too much. For some reason it seems slower when zoomed in than when zoomed out in the full screen size.

pearson
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Whatever has me using the buttons on the pen less makes me happier.I use a tablet exclusively with Maya, and I completely agree. I used to use MMB and RMB for marking menus when I used a mouse, but now I have them all on a key press+LMB. Works out pretty well, for me. Also using a motion controller is nice for those big camera moves, instead of ALT+MMB over and over.

JA-forreal
08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
"Mesh Extraction", very, very cool.

grrinc
08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I've got to ask... who's feeling rather smug right now??. :)

yolao
08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
it seems to me like pixologic was spending all this time preparing for war. The original featurelist for 2.5 was impressive enough (retopology tools, posing and geometry deformation rigs ect). What they have added since then makes it seem like they are taking the threat of mudbox seriously and have spent their development time accordingly.

As a 2.0 license holder I'm actually looking forward to 2.5 again. Heres hoping that it dosn't take another couple years to materialize.

Cheers
Xarf

i agree!...i was surprised to see that zbrush 2.5 will have a layer system just like mudbox.

In the videos the option to adjust the size and strenght of the brush are the same like in Zbrush 2, i always feel fine with that....but i was hoping maybe something with hotkeys or even better like SILO 2 will have, where you just move side to side and up and down the cursor brush to adjust the size and strength....sweet:).

Another thing that i hope zbrush 2.5 will have is an smooth shade option, in the videos it don`t seem to have it..

either way zbrush 2.5 looks WONDERFUL:thumbsup:

thomaspecht
08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
i normally use a z-canvas that fit's my screen res (1600x1200). just tried working in 640x480 but it doesn't seem to make a difference. you guys are sure that it does increase performance?

on another note: very nice news. layers and realtime projection and everything. hopefully we can play with that before christmas 06 :)

DorisDay
08-01-2006, 10:28 PM
I've got to ask... who's feeling rather smug right now??. :)

Me...:bounce:

I would like to see renderer improvements more than anything...

ThePumpkinKing
08-01-2006, 10:57 PM
nope, its obviously not the same workflow, seems like projection master is obsolete.

Projection master isn't obsolete yet, you'll still probably have to go into PM mode to accsess Zapplink.

cyartist
08-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Enough! with the new feature videos release dates please!

rasamaya
08-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Zbrush theme song plays now...

Congrats !

Long live Zbrush, as it has made CG history again.

(still ticked that they were quiet for a while; then again, I always peeked at my xmas gifts too)

Cheers

Ordibble-Plop
08-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Two new videos have been added to the same link in the first post of this thread (covering 'texturing in 3d' and 'enhanced 3d sculpting').

Nice - no tricks needed to paint textures in symmetry.

grrinc
08-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Just thought I would catch them before went to bed. Absolutely stunning.

BinarySoup
08-02-2006, 02:02 AM
insane, these features would be a major version in any other 3d package. this is a .5 free upgrade to existing users...

sofar:

subtools (multiple object handling)
mesh extraction
new brush functionality
realtime alpha, stencil
realtime texturing
perspective camera for modeling
improved selection (lasso tool)

add to this those previously announced 2.5 features:

retopology tool
volumetric rigging
surface rigging

and I wouldn't be surprised if they have more up their sleeve...

inverse catheter
08-02-2006, 02:11 AM

just quickly. for those who've mentioned it. ' sweeping ' to control brush size. intensity etc

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=27768

lovisx
08-02-2006, 02:15 AM
yesssss :love:

krazyrokr
08-02-2006, 02:22 AM
will 2.5 ever be avaliable to the public?

DorisDay
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
will 2.5 ever be avaliable to the public?

Hell yeah, it's just a matter of when, that is the question...:shrug:

But it will have to be soonish, as Pixologic have shown there hand so to speak, so if they don't release for another year then competitors can create there own versions of the tools & ZB will no longer have the advantage...

Can we just call this update ZB3, why 2.5??? I never understood why you would call such a substantial upgrade .5, I've seen full upgrades with less content than this & they charged (a lot)...

Phrenzy84
08-02-2006, 08:01 AM
i remember people talking about a retopology tool, but have never seen a video or any mention of it. I seen a sort of shell tool where you draw zspheres/bone over your model and then it gets extracted.

anyone with a link :)

DorisDay
08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I believe this is it mate...

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=22256&page=1&pp=15&highlight=roadmap+ZBrush

Ordibble-Plop
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
i remember people talking about a retopology tool, but have never seen a video or any mention of it. I seen a sort of shell tool where you draw zspheres/bone over your model and then it gets extracted.

anyone with a link :)

What you remember is the retopology tool.

The vid showed how to draw zspheres on a surface to define where you wanted the edges to go - in the case they were showing, this was done on a gross scale (sort of like patches) and ZB automatically filled the patches in with quads. It didn't show whether you could set it so a zsphere chain defined single polys.

The actual movies seem to have gone AWOL though. I can find the links to them on ZBC (in the sneak-preview and Siggraph 2005 recap threads) but these just go to the Pixologic home page. I guess they have been doing some re-organising.

TVeyes
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
The new sculpting tools look excellent and the 3D layers has me very intrigued. Can't wait to hear more on that.

Phrenzy84, the posing, surface rigging and retopologising videos are located in the Products section of the revamped Pixologic homepage. >> Here << (http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/products/2.5.html)

// pokes Ordible with a sharp pen. You have PM.

Mr Moose
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
What you remember is the retopology tool....
The actual movies seem to have gone AWOL though.The vids are here now - http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/products/2.5.html

:)

EDIT - I'm too slow :)

lordmachuca
08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Man I saw those videos clips on zbrushcentral... can't wait for this release. Glad they added that flatten tool along with the layers function. biggest selling point for me is the realtime modeling with texture and dumping that whole drop canvas projection master thing.. I dont think mudbox can compete, yet anyway.

Just wish they quit teasing us already though....!
-

yolao
08-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I dont think mudbox can compete, yet anyway.

mmm..i don`t know about that...i mean Zbrush 2.5 looks amazing, but i wonder if they are goin to have a real perpective camera while you`r sculpting, zbrush 2 for mac have already a perpctive camera for sculpting ( although i have never use the mac version) but some of the zbrush mac users have mention that it is not a real perp. camera and that it don`t work very well...so i wonder if what Ryan mention about perp. camera in Z2.5 will be the same thing as the mac version of Z2?....

in the other hand Dave Cardwell from SkyMatter mention in the other thread that mudbox will have a perpective camera with options to control the FOV....that`s a very important thing for me!!

JWRodegher
08-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Somebody talked to me about some riggin, skinnin tools I havenīt been able to find. Also said something about topology control. Again, didnīt find any of this.

Is there any topology tools that will allow you to build from scratch a model that you could actually skin, and blendshape? or the workflow still will be import a low base model to work on?

lordmachuca
08-04-2006, 12:10 AM
mmm..i don`t know about that...i mean Zbrush 2.5 looks amazing, but i wonder if they are goin to have a real perpective camera while you`r sculpting, zbrush 2 for mac have already a perpctive camera for sculpting ( although i have never use the mac version) but some of the zbrush mac users have mention that it is not a real perp. camera and that it don`t work very well...so i wonder if what Ryan mention about perp. camera in Z2.5 will be the same thing as the mac version of Z2?....

in the other hand Dave Cardwell from SkyMatter mention in the other thread that mudbox will have a perpective camera with options to control the FOV....that`s a very important thing for me!!

yeah a real perspective camera would be sweet. I think the way it is know is just fine, I mean I dont mind it too much. I am not tech pro or nothing but maybe that fact that it doesnt have a perspective camera is why it handles polys so well?? Any body know about that? Any way I am pretty sure its something Pixologic thought about..

So yeah I dont think a I would trade a perspective camera for less polys on the screen. just a personal opinion

I just think they are too young right now to compete with them

yolao
08-04-2006, 12:28 AM
maybe that fact that it doesnt have a perspective camera is why it handles polys so well??

i was wondering that the other day....i not sure but correct me if i`m wrong, zbrush has a flat 2d canvas where you have a mesh that has pixels that have depth (pixols or something), so it is a kind of 2.5D enviroment and i imagin that that`s why zbrush does not have a real perp. camera and with any rotation you`r not rotating around the object but you are rotating the object...
Maybe a real 3d enviroment will change all the pixols tech. and perhaps not so many millions of polys could be handle....just guessing:)

cyartist
08-04-2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/products/2.5.html

This is the link to the rigging tools.

yolao
08-04-2006, 01:03 AM
there is a new video of the day 4 at zbrushcentral...3d layers...it looks FANTASTIC..

i just hope that this preview and info won`t be the last.....and that they don`t give any kind of information in another year ot two.....

i hope that don`t happen:sad:

mech7
08-04-2006, 01:51 AM
wow new 3d texture painting.. no more need for uv's shouldn't this be invented years ago? :D And shouldn't every 3d app support this? :D

Also the non destructive layers seem way cool... and yes from what they say it should have perspective cam :D

xixax
08-04-2006, 04:04 AM
I think the features look absolutely fantastic, but I don't get why everyone is getting excited. I felt the same way in 2004, when the first amazing features were displayed and I thought a 2.5 was just around the corner.

I'm not making the same mistake twice. The best thing about Zbrush right now is Zbrush 2.0, and to get excited and anxious for anything more than 2.0 is evidence we haven't learned from our experiences.

Zbrush 2.0 is already an amazing app, and if and when 2.5 releases it will be even better, but I see no reason for jubilance in anticipation of a nearby release. I see nothing that says that is a likelihood.

R10k
08-04-2006, 04:11 AM
wow new 3d texture painting.. no more need for uv's shouldn't this be invented years ago? And shouldn't every 3d app support this?

Most apps do- it's called vertex painting. What they don't support however is colour information from textures and alpha-weighted vertex painting. That looks nice, but I'll be interested to see how high res a mesh you'll need before it comes close to texture painting.

yinako
08-04-2006, 07:09 AM
MOST IMPORTANTLY have they put in an ALT+ navigation? or atleast somthing similar to regualr 3D apps. alt+ is standard just about every package supports it now.

Just about ever zbrush user, I see them work had little troubles trying to get their bearing or trying to click on a little empty corner so they can tumble.

inverse catheter
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM

please. pixologic. don't ever change that nav scheme

Sonk
08-04-2006, 10:57 AM

please. pixologic. don't ever change that nav scheme

options are your friend. ;) , If they dont want to listen..then its there lost(the consumer moves on to Mudbox).

schuubars
08-04-2006, 11:04 AM
options are your friend. ;) , If they dont want to listen..then its there lost(the consumer moves on to Mudbox).

Haha you made my day, yes options are always good, but even if that's not the case, i will not switch to MuBo, it can have thousend of worth features, i don't care if they really stick with the node locked licensing...

Kiki-b
08-04-2006, 12:01 PM
For me, the only 'cool' feature that Zb 2.5 dosen"t seems to have (maybe it does, but the option wasen't featured. I'm not betatesting Zb 2.5 neither Mudbox) is the tangent space symetry.

I guess it rely on a symetrical topology of the base model. dosen't it ? Like when you sculpt asymetrical nurbs patches in Maya (indeed, this feature worked in the first versions of Maya, but dosen'st seems to exist since they changed the way the sculpt tool works).

Besides that, i don't have any problem with the Ui or the navigation. I've used Zb to sculpt models for films, games, prototyping, and i've got very few complaints against the app or the workflow

mech7
08-12-2006, 11:36 PM
http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=036912

There are some new movies added.. i think 3d layers and mesh projection are amazing features :thumbsup: I can hardly imagine all the new features they will have to come up with for 3.0 version.

TVeyes
08-13-2006, 01:18 PM
The Zbrush Siggraph 2006 announcement (http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/community/events/siggraph2006-boston/siggraph2006-boston.html) page has been updated with a description of the new features, and of course, the movies from ZbrushCentral.

I am so looking forward to this. Mesh Projection sounds excellent.

NanoGator
08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
MOST IMPORTANTLY have they put in an ALT+ navigation? or atleast somthing similar to regualr 3D apps. alt+ is standard just about every package supports it now.

Just about ever zbrush user, I see them work had little troubles trying to get their bearing or trying to click on a little empty corner so they can tumble.

I hear ya. I know this doesn't help, but they reason they do this is so you can use ZBrush using only a tablet. That doesn't provide any rebuttals against the idea of ADDING the ALT navigatoin system.. I've just found that the rationale there helps ease the frustration.

ryankingslien
08-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Most apps do- it's called vertex painting. What they don't support however is colour information from textures and alpha-weighted vertex painting. That looks nice, but I'll be interested to see how high res a mesh you'll need before it comes close to texture painting.

R10k - One 2k texture map has around 4 million pixels of information. With 80% UV usage that means that one 2K texture map represents about 3.3 million pixels of information.

With Poly Painting you can substitute polys for pixels. One 4 million poly model already has more information in it than one 2k texture map.

If we look at 3k maps you are talking about 7 million polygons of usable information. Rember that 80% UV usage is actually very high and most uv layouts are less than that. The new poly count in ZBrush 2.5 makes Poly Painting a very attractive alternative to texture painting.

Also, transfering Poly Painting to a Texture map is pretty straightward. Another cool feature is that the 3D layers store RGB information as well. :)

Ryan

metamesh
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes, that explanation is great Ryan... I saw the pixologoc demo at siggraph and i have to say that it looked great, everything worked sooo smooth, and the new tools that they showed were awesome, the topological tool really caught me and i felt in love with it even if i havenīt used, the poly painting is great too, to be able to paint straight into your models and with layers is incredible ( btw, ryan, I donīt know if you can paint with layers a la photoshop with controls on the layer like screen, overlay, etc? that could be GREAT )
Anyway, great tool, and great innovations for the 2.5!

mech7
08-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Yes i think those non destructive layers and mesh extraction + projection are the best thing that is added.. And will definitly be huge time savers :)

And personally im glad it does not have a alt + navigation.. as normal drag is more natural then alt + drag... and you have the shift buttons for side, front, top, bottom, back views :)

inverse catheter
08-14-2006, 12:41 AM

i'm with my broken record. i feel the nav scheme that z uses is hugely important. even though. at times. you do find yourself looking for null space ( always leave enough room in the border ). it by far beats the alternative ( pun intended ). still. as sonk pointed out in one of his more lucid moments of rationality. it would be beneficial to the app in general to have full key customisation. shame is. i doubt we'll see the option to use a zb style nav in mudbox. or silo

those new features are just plain f__king awesome. it will be a truly liberating experience to concept between z and silo 2

CIM
08-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Now they just need to get it out this year. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2006, 04:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.