PDA

View Full Version : Triangles and 5 sided polygons

Evilmaker
07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi there.
I havent been modeling for around 3 years now and I just wanted to start again with highpoly modeling. Ive been playing around now for about 3 days and I have one major problem: Triangles and 5 sided polygons. I get very often those polygons by chamfering or cutting or whatever and I really dont have the eye to get rid of them. Is there some tutorial out there or any help, which shows me the best way of getting rid of those damn thingys? I would be very pleased if someone could help me!

Thanks in advance.
Greetings Tim

othoap
08-09-2006, 04:07 PM
What are you going to do with the model? Is it a skin or a non-organic object? Where both share much in technique they differ in the mesh placement. The big thing to get use to is how smoothing changes the look of your geometry and how to compensate for it.

In my opinion modeling in polys is all about terminating your poly. Like the tree branch starts at a point and spreads out, a poly mesh should flow the same. Chamfering or spacing your vert's is critical in controlling a shape. The closer two or more verts are the more control you have. The trick is to be efficient with your verts.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a dvd, but there are many out there. If you would like to send me one of you models I could review it and suggest options.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2006, 04:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.