PDA

View Full Version : Unions !!

MajesticSan
03-14-2002, 06:15 PM
I know this will set the fur flying, I think the industry needs union representation.
My reasons:-

1. Equal pay for artist and programmers.
2. A twice yearly conference in the Carribean.
3. Free downloads of all development software ! (this is already the case for Max, Soft and Maya)

4. A union rep in every dev firm so that union members don't get treated like crap and fired once the projects are done.

5. Monitoring of resources so that Marketing don't get new cars every year when games have failed and staff have been laid off.

I MUST STATE THIS IS ONLY AN IDEA I HAD AFTER LOTS OF BEER AT THE WEEKEND.

endseason
03-14-2002, 08:15 PM
number five is great:)

The Magic Pen
03-14-2002, 08:32 PM
I am deffinatly there ith ya buddy. The game industry is big time money .Yet even on AAA titles you don't see people making super star money or benefits!! The game industry makes more money then the movie industry yet we dont have anywhere near there salleries...most artists make less money then a friggen camera man!! Seems to me that shareholders at the major publishers are getting very very rich of the sweat off our backs ...and then firinging us so they can have a slightly fatter wallet at the end of the year, it's BS I really wish a union would form !! However there is a down side..like fee's etc etc..

MajesticSan
03-14-2002, 09:29 PM
If I had some time between work/ CG challenges and women (nice) I would try to organise something small.

There is one major problem with starting any kind of labour/workforce movement, management won't recognise it ! Plus the last thing they want is someone in there company adding another layer of red tape to their daily lives. I think thats how some might see it anyway.

If I start my own I might have it as part of my company organisation. Just got to find a few spare million !!!!

mcaron
03-17-2002, 03:27 PM
There are some pretty abusive firms out there. Sometimes artists get treated like slaves for months and then get laid off instead of getting their end of project bonus.

I have recently seen the owner of a small games development company drive by in his brand new Rolls Royce after closing his offices, following a year of hardship and asking his team to accept pay cuts in order to save their jobs. It obviously didn't work. An employee had told me they would often only receive half their pay and management would say they couldn't do any better. Rolls Royces don't come cheap.

Maybe what we need more than a union is a website where we could discuss these things. Then you could inquire about companies that offer you a job and see what kind of reputation they have. A union only works in you region/contry and if you start one, you'll become a leper to hiring companies. This thing could be helpfull to artists and programmers all over the place and you could maybe participate anonymously.

Let's hope some very productive webmaster/programmer reads this.

MajesticSan
03-18-2002, 02:29 PM
There was a site called the Filthy truth but it dealt with gossip, scandel and acted as a forum for those with grudge against companies and individuals.

We do need some kind of forum, that is constructive. I would love to set one up but like most I want to stay employed for the foreseable future.

endseason
03-18-2002, 09:23 PM
i think will be great a web site or a forum where to write about situation in the different company...at least every body will know where to not go to work:)

CADster
03-19-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by mcaron
There are some pretty abusive firms out there. Sometimes artists get treated like slaves for months and then get laid off instead of getting their end of project bonus.

I have recently seen the owner of a small games development company drive by in his brand new Rolls Royce after closing his offices, following a year of hardship and asking his team to accept pay cuts in order to save their jobs. It obviously didn't work. An employee had told me they would often only receive half their pay and management would say they couldn't do any better. Rolls Royces don't come cheap.

uhh, aint this why you keep a gun in your truck (or car) ?? ;)

Originally posted by MajesticSan
There was a site called the Filthy truth but it dealt with gossip, scandel and acted as a forum for those with grudge against companies and individuals.

http://www.fatbabies.com

its funny reading (but funny in a sad way, i can relate to a lot of the articels)

CADster

joker
03-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Isn't there a gamedeveloper forum out there. If not, why don't we crate our own. I have enough webspace and a nice domainname would shurely be found.

cathode
03-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Dammit, I work for free with the hope of royalties :annoyed:

I would love to have a nice game dev forum... :beer:

MajesticSan
03-19-2002, 07:10 PM
sounds good, I could post any info I come across thats for sure.

endseason
03-19-2002, 08:39 PM
will be nice can share different experience all around the world:)

cathode
03-19-2002, 09:08 PM
I would love to know what people are getting paid and what their jobs are like, whet they do, etc. The question I want answered is do I take it from a hobby to a profession? My profession is a little to boring for me.:hmm:

MajesticSan
03-19-2002, 09:25 PM
Yes is the answer to that, I was out last weekend with a couple of fine art students, women of course. One was well aware that her career would be better if she learnt a package such as Max or Soft or Photoshop.

The other women had her head up her arse, cause she thought all of us working in games were geeks.

She got well upset when I said how much cash I was earning, and even more upset when I said that I was underpaid compared to my firends who work in the city, (London Financial District).

The point is there are alot of unhappy people out there, why be one of them, if your job is your hobby/pastime then your not really working !!

Well I'm not most of the time..... Go for it I Say.

joker
03-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Befor starting it, I hope everyone has seen gamedesign.net ( rust ) a huge gamedeveloperform.

Any suggestions for boards within the new forum ?

mcaron
03-20-2002, 04:14 AM
Judging by what a lot of people here are saying, The forum that seems the most needed is one about working in the game dev business. There, it would be possible to discuss conditions, good and bad, in the different countries and companies from the game world.

And aren't companies the real contries of the game world?

joker
03-20-2002, 01:28 PM
For the first time, I've opened a board on my forum, gmaxforum.com (http://www.gmaxforum.com) . Hope you like it, it's small, but it's free.

If someone has interests of setting up a community site for the game developers, please contact me. I have curently not enough
time to set up a compleat page, on my own.

polymath
03-26-2002, 06:10 PM
I've been trying to set up cgi.third-era.com as a portal site sorta thing along with a board. If you guys all agree and put it to good use I'll get on it and set it up asap. Originally, the plan was after I had it set up, i'd offer some free webspace.... still is the plan ;) But if you want the board and site, i'll need just a bit of help with what we need.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.