PDA

View Full Version : poly to subdiv - subdiv to poly

my7hai
07-31-2006, 01:16 AM
hey..

i am trying to do some tutorials, but i always get stuck at probably small things like this one..

i started modeling with polygons where i had just a few faces to select,
then i converted it to subdiv which made my model smoother(-> much more faces to handle) but now i just cant figure out how set it back again.

when i try to convert it back to polygons it just uses the subdiv surface which has the same (new and much more) amount of faces.
it would be rather easier to work with the low amount of polygonfaces i started off with :(

program: alias maya 7.0

hopefully you can help me out once again :)
thanx

arkangel-fx
07-31-2006, 02:04 AM
its a subD surface... you can allways go back and work on a subD1... you dont need to work transform yo poly again... im not a maya user... but you should have, where you divided you mesh, a key to set it back to subD1...

Hope this works!

ArkangelFX

DeathDealer
07-31-2006, 05:13 AM
do you mean a poly smooth?? subD doesn't actually create more faces.if it's a poly smooth just go to your attributes window & set the "divisions" to 0 or 1...you can change them back to 2 or 3 afterwards

my7hai
07-31-2006, 08:21 AM
do you mean a poly smooth?? subD doesn't actually create more faces.if it's a poly smooth just go to your attributes window & set the "divisions" to 0 or 1...you can change them back to 2 or 3 afterwards

its a subdiv surface, i cant find any attributes called "divisions".
if i create a polygon primitive i can find the subdivision option, but not on the monster im modeling.
the shape's name is currently(didnt change the name) -> polyToSubd1 which means that it is a subdiv surface i think..

and ya, i did a poly smooth and then converted it to a subdivision surface.
can i also redo that?

DeathDealer
07-31-2006, 10:39 PM
its a subdiv surface, i cant find any attributes called "divisions".
if i create a polygon primitive i can find the subdivision option, but not on the monster im modeling.
the shape's name is currently(didnt change the name) -> polyToSubd1 which means that it is a subdiv surface i think..

and ya, i did a poly smooth and then converted it to a subdivision surface.
can i also redo that?
ooh i see...i don't know why you did a poly smooth & THEN converted it to a subD,you should have been modeling in subD first,sorry but i don't think you can go back after this pont

you do a subD to work your final complex model with the simpler polygon you started out with

did the tutorial tell you to do that?? i don't see how that would be of any use

my7hai
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
ooh i see...i don't know why you did a poly smooth & THEN converted it to a subD,you should have been modeling in subD first,sorry but i don't think you can go back after this pont

you do a subD to work your final complex model with the simpler polygon you started out with

did the tutorial tell you to do that?? i don't see how that would be of any use

oh ok thx.. :)

DeathDealer
08-01-2006, 06:06 PM
there are some very good tutorials in the sticky thread
http://plissken.fatalunity.com/tutorials/subdiv/index.html

that's a really nice one
next time if you smooth to see how things are going undo it & continue modeling with less stuff

my7hai
08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
there are some very good tutorials in the sticky thread
http://plissken.fatalunity.com/tutorials/subdiv/index.html

that's a really nice one
next time if you smooth to see how things are going undo it & continue modeling with less stuff

wow... nice.. thx :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.