PDA

View Full Version : PFlow Smoke...?!

Yagimoth
07-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, I built a PFlow, set it up the way I want, but now I can't seem to figure out how to make the particles look, or act like smoke. I'm going for a teleport look, so the particles explode out, then suck back in. Unfortunatley no one has been able to point me in the right direction. I'm looking for as realistic as I can get. Also, if any one knows where I can find a tutorial, or script to plug into Max that can make particle smoke simulate the movment of water, please let me know. Thanks!

Yagimoth
(sorry if I'm supposed to post in a different forum, it's my first time.)

Phibmobil
07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
There are many ways to make smoke. The sollution depends on what look you´re after.
For realistic whispy smoke, i usually use 1-7 mill. tetras with 2 wind spacewarps with different turbulances. Add some drag and bob´s your uncle.

Try searching the pflow thread for more answers ..

!

mackdadd
07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
http://www.cameronjames.com.au/learn.php

check out that link. you'll see a red teapot turning into smoke. great tutorial by an amazing Max guy, cameron james. some of the nicest smoke i've seen in Max without plugins.

supremepizza
08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, I built a PFlow, set it up the way I want, but now I can't seem to figure out how to make the particles look, or act like smoke.

You're going to need a force operator in your smoke event. I usually use 2 winds and a drag within that operator. The key to smoke is the material. You shouldn't have any problems finding any tutorials on smoke materials. Try inside of max.

I'm going for a teleport look, so the particles explode out, then suck back in.

Try a spherical wind in the center with a positive value with an age test operator at the end of that event sending it to another event with an equal but opposite spherical wind with a negative value.

Also, if any one knows where I can find a tutorial, or script to plug into Max that can make particle smoke simulate the movment of water, please let me know. Thanks!

You're being a bit confusing here. You want smoke but you want it to behave like water?

If you want the particles to flow give them a find target and some deflector events between emission and the target. I'm guessing what you're looking for here. Generally with plugins you're going to get a generic look. Afterburn does good smoke effects in some situations but looks distinctly like afterburn. Cebas has the pyrocluster plugin that has basically the same look. They both turn particles into something resembling atmospheric gizmos.

...script to plug into Max that can make particle smoke simulate the movment of water, please let me know. Thanks!

Only thing you can plugin to Max to make any effect is the user. Your practice and skill is the only thing that's going to make it look realistic. Render techniques and materials make all the difference once you get the particle behavior you're looking for.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.