PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis | Dave Edwards | All things come to an end

everlite
07-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey guys.

I know it's a little late, but if i can i'd like to submit an entry into the Atlantis contest.

I kinda screwed up with the dimensions a little (stupied me for not reading the brief correctly :-) Please see:

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/atlantis_web_small.jpg

Here's the original version prior to cropping down:

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/atlantis_web_large.jpg

Hope you like my idea, very simple. I wanted something that was quite authenic and plausable, i was thinking alot about the titanic as i created it, using this as inspiration for the mood and atmosphere.

There's so many throughout this contest that are really breath taking, they all look very good. Please let me know what you think of mine.

Do i need to post sketches, concepts? etc?

Thinking about sticking a sub (or a few divers perhaps) over head, not sure?

Cheers - Dave.

R-K
07-30-2006, 06:47 PM
hey this is really cool, I really like the underwater lighting effect here. How did you do it hehe?

The architecture is a bit weird to me though - a bit too mixed I think, I would probably just go with the skyscrapers and roman pillar stuff...

But still really solid technique, I like the crop better than the original :P

rawwad
07-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Great! I totaly love idea :D that huge buildings looks awesome, give to your scene very monumental feeling :)

everlite
07-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey cheers, really appreciate your feedback, you're the first person on the planet to share your thoughts, except my cat, but he's not human :-)

The process is about 95% photoshop & image comping, the lighting was painted in. The statue and the crack in the forground floor are both 3d elements.

I wanted a style of arcitecture that mimiced the way in which we have a 500 year old churches next to a 5 month old skyscraper. I thought perhaps if Atlantis existed then maybe they had reached an advance point of technological development but still had old buildings and structures scattered around, a mix of new and old. developing styles and ideas, but then at the peak of this advance age for reasons unknown it all came to an end.

Not sure, perhaps it stuggles to work but i'm happy with the way it came out. For me it's a fine piece of work, something i really enjoyed doing :-)

Cheers Raneth, really appreciate your insight, your piece looks very nice.

- Dave.

everlite
07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Cheers Rawwad,

I tried to imagine how we might look say 500 years into the future, if say new york or Tokyo fell to a catastrophic disaster, a mix of buildings and structures, ghosts of a time long ago.

Gald you like it, your orb structures look really cool :-)

- Dave.

Velarion
07-30-2006, 10:16 PM
you made a fantastic lighting there! I really liked the whole atmosphere you've created:thumbsup:

everlite
07-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey cheers Velarion :-)

JJASSO
07-31-2006, 03:19 PM
great entry , eventough I think the mix of clasic buildings and futuristic skyscrapers is a little confusing , mood is really great , good luck !

SweD
07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
huhu light is very very good ! and you've got a good stylish enty here ! I Just think it miss something to directly understand this is an underwater world.
it's too bad you haven't made a work in progress, it should be surely interesting.

everlite
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Cheers SweD, glad you like. You don't think it looks underwater looking? anyone else think this? i might need to revise this a little perhaps.

Cheers James, i'm surprised that people find it confusing, i thought perhaps it would be a good idea to have different structures, fururistic and old. I just love the way in my own city we have a church that is around 1200 years old stood next to a glass metallic looking skyscraper that's yet to be finished, i think this contrast is true to life and give a greater sense of realism. But maybe asthetics plays a bigger part that realsim, not sure. any suggestions on how i can improve this?

Watch this space, i've still got the layered version and all my concept sketches, i'll break it down into a work in progress.

Cheers again - Dave.

everlite
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Oki-doki here's the break down :-)

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/atlantis_comp1

That pretty much sums up most of the elements. You can play spot the element now :-) I liked the composition of the ruined building in the foreground, i thought they came together very well, the one in the field completely demolished looks really great. ANd i love the skyscrapers, how i used them to model out the futuristic structures. The boatwreck looks cool. I guess it's all about finding the right images and seeing if they work or not, i ended up with quite a few that never made it into the final piece.

Hope this offers a little insight into the compisition :-)

I'm going to gather up the concepts next >>>

everlite
07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Next we have the concept sketches. And yep, this is how loose i sometimes work, just to get very basic ideas down.

To be honest these sketches beared little influence over the final piece, i felt they we going too much in a fantasy direction, in the end i began to get ideas of a ghost city, similar in feel to the eerie pics/footage we see of the titanic, structures in the mist, something real and lost, a ghost memory of human existance. With this in mind i began sourcing the photos and allowed them to compose themselves, they either worked or they didn't, and if they did then how would they work with the feeling i had. Later on in the production i began to realise it needed something different, something that was unique yet possible, some kind of contrast, and edge over the conventional approach, it was then that i began to develope the futuristic buildings. I still defend this choice of having different styles of buildings, i thought well what if they were like us, what if they had skyscrapers and advance technology scattered with buildings and ruins of the past.

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/atlantis_comp2
Hope this gives a little insight into how i came about my final piece. I really did enjoy doing this project and learnt a lot, it's unlike anything i've done before and really do look foward to doing one again.

Cheers again - Dave.

R-K
08-04-2006, 08:23 PM
thanks for the process pics :)

everlite
08-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Your welcome, good luck :-)

jasrdunn
08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
sweet! Nice composition.

my entry
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=389343

GonzaloGolpe
08-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I wish you all the good luck to the contest. I like so much the depth of your composition:thumbsup: And I like your website too, hehe. Good luck!!:)

everlite
08-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey cheers GonzaloGolpe! REALLY appreciate that :-)

Thank you - Dave.

chinnha
08-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Pretty good lights, nice composition.

everlite
08-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Thank chinnha, so when these gonna get judged? me wonder.

Kraa
08-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Definetly top3 material! My favourite.

everlite
08-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey cheers Kraa, very kind of you to say :-)

shouroujin
08-25-2006, 09:44 PM
hoho verty nice!Welcome to bbs.cgblog.com.cn.

everlite
09-02-2006, 03:33 PM
? sorry, not quite sure what u mean.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2006, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.