PDA

View Full Version : Car Movie, How to?

tjbeseda
01-21-2003, 05:06 PM
so basically i am making a fast and furious cool car movie with my friends. we want to create an awesome film with a high speed street race. now, we dont want to commit any crimes....its all legal here. how can i create the effect of the car traveling extremely fast from the interior of a car. i plan to have several shots from within each car of the other car...these are the ones i am concerned about. it will be easy to fake high speeds from an outside view of the cars. i am using adobe after effects but i have access to most any bit of software. any suggestions??

Luddy
01-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Shoot the normal shot and do some roto on the windows edges to create a matte. Then shoot another shot with the camera out the window at the same angle and height (twice the distance). Retime the footage and add some motion blur. Then composite the original with the sped up footage.

You could also tape blue material to the windows of the parked car and then add some camera shake to the shot in AE. Then key the blue and add in a shot taken from a bed of a truck at the same angle and height. Track the car's shake and composite the retimed footage with the track. Be careful and try to preserve the continuity of the scene. :)

FerdiWillemse
01-21-2003, 08:35 PM
tjbeseda - sounds cool! Make sure you post us some previews, k? ;)

Good luck!

tjbeseda
01-21-2003, 08:55 PM
thanks luddy!
i will try that...and i will definitely post upp some previews and any work i do.

Luddy
01-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by tjbeseda
thanks luddy!
i will try that...and i will definitely post upp some previews and any work i do.

The blue screen option might not look good if the interior lighting is not matched. I'd use the roto mehod I suggested.

FerdiWillemse
01-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Luddy
The blue screen option might not look good if the interior lighting is not matched. I'd use the roto mehod I suggested.

Depends on where the light is coming from. If the window is in the shadow you might adjust the color bleeding, if it's in the sunlight I'd definentley choose rotoscoping.

Harrad
02-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Do you have access to a program like 3d max? As in the real film they used CG backgrounds. once you have roto'd the car plate you could match the angle of the camera in a 3d program and make any background you want, it only has to be really simple, cos you make it go so fast that is all blured out with motion blur.

you could be really adventurs and try and recreate the shots where it zooms from one car to another car. you could set up the shot by having your two car (sationary) next to each other then if you shoot the inside though the open passenger window the first car then move from one car in to the open window of the other car. then roto the cars out (could take some time) and then match the camera move in a 3d program. after that you could lock the camera down (in 3D) and then animate the same move but moving back really fast. rnder it out comp it all up. to make it look a bit better and to cover up some of you mistakes if you film it over say 15 secs, then once its all comped up time srink it down to say 3 second, as if that move pops up for 3 secs it wouldn't be long enough to really look at it in detail, so you could get away with a bit of dogdy camera matching and roto... just an idea...

good luck, post some of you work when it gets going...

MAtt:surprised

jeferichardson
02-01-2003, 10:46 PM
It all depend on the interior shots. Length and composition. That will be the decideing factor of which method to use. Whenever I have students or co workers ask me these kinds of question its best to show an example. Pick the most generic shot (length and composition). There are pros and cons to both methods. Without an example, you could get advice with the best intentions but be the worst for the shots. Time vrs quality.

FUG1T1VE
12-18-2003, 05:24 AM
Ive been searching the forums in AE, this sounds really good. are there any screen shots yet :cool:

jussing
12-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Luddy
You could also tape blue material to the windows of the parked car and then add some camera shake to the shot in AE.[/B]

This sounds like the best suggestion, in my opinion. -The keyword being "parked". -It is incredibly easier to shoot the INT. of a parked car, than a moving one.

Also, check out the making of the "405" short film, they did some of that stuff, and it works great.

If shooting a parked car, you can experiment with flickering lights 'n' stuff, to simulate shadows and light sources from the outside environment wooshing by. -There doesn't have to be great continuity in this, though, it's incredible what you can get away with.

You can also "Bay" it (as in Michael Bay) which is to select camera angles where the exterior isn't visible (meaning either looking up, so you'll see blue sky, or zoomed, from a distance, so all you'll se are actors and interior). Bay also shakes his camera wildly, in the INT. scenes of car chases, to "hide" that the car isn't moving... I hate it when he does that, though. A hand-held feel is OK, but shakycam sucks. -IMHO.

To use a 3D app is of course also an option, but then you're all of a sudden moving into a completely different scope of visual effects, multiplying your effects budget and time period by 50. Not necessarily what you want.

Cheers & good luck - and like the other guys say, don't forget to post the results!,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.