PDA

View Full Version : additional maya api compiling documentation ?

lucille
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
I have been working on the api for about 5 weeks and have not been able to compile
helloWorld.cpp in linnux or xp. Is the maya api docs the only available resource--
or is there something more comprehensive availible.

Segmoria
07-30-2006, 10:41 AM
What IDE are you using and what exactly seems to be the problem?

Carina
07-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Seconding what Segmoria asked.

Regarding compilation on linux, I normally use qmake to generate my makefiles, works excellently for me. I'm perfectly happy to share a basic qmake file that could get you started, but it would be interesting to see what sort of problems you're experiencing first so we can aim any further comments on a relevant level;)

lucille
08-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I am picking up these commands from the maya docs

Linux:

If this is put into a file called helloWorld.cpp it can be compiled with:

g++334 -c -I. -I.. -I/usr/aw/maya7.0/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -O3 -pthread -pipe -D_BOOL -DLINUX -DREQUIRE_IOSTREAM -mcpu=pentium4 -Wno-deprecated -fno-gnu-keywords helloCmd.cpp

g++334 -shared -O3 -pthread -pipe -D_BOOL -DLINUX -DREQUIRE_IOSTREAM -mcpu=pentium4 -Wno-deprecated -fno-gnu-keywords -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o helloCmd.so helloCmd.o -L/usr/aw/maya7.0/lib -lOpenMaya -lFoundation

which yields a--sorry, I am not in linnux now--"does not recognize command..." error...

I do not have linnux experience--it just seemed like it was better suited for
development...are these commands --from the maya docs--valid.

Carina
08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
which yields a--sorry, I am not in linnux now--"does not recognize command..." error...

I do not have linnux experience--it just seemed like it was better suited for
development...are these commands --from the maya docs--valid.

Whether or not it's better suited for development is a touchy issue, though I happen to agree with that;)

the commands are valid yes, the problem seems to be you don't have g++-334 installed. It could be that you do have g++ installed, see what happens if you type "g++ --version" at a command prompt. If that gives you something like:

carina@ginger-laptop:~$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
it means you have g++ installed. If the version number is 3.3.4 you can simply replace "g++-334" with "g++" and try to compile. If the version number is greater than 4.0 (like mine's 4.0.3) compiling with g++ will generate a bucketload of errors.

So, if you don't have g++ installed at all, OR if your version is greater than 4.0, you'll need to install g++ version 3.3.4. The way you'd go about doing this depends entirely on what linux distribution you're using..

Hope that helps!

lucille
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks Carina--

I'll try that later when I'm rebooted in linnux. Its seems like there is no developers guide to walk someone through these issues--is that right or am I missing something...do people proceed hit or miss or find an experienced delveloper? Obviously the maya docs are not entirely sufficient...

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.