PDA

View Full Version : Masking in Combustion

xmb
01-21-2003, 04:43 PM
how can i mask footage in combustion and apply an operator on it without outmasking the footage really, but only for the operator?

for example when i mask something in c2 it masks out the footage. but i only want to set a mask for an operator...

imagine, like working in photoshop. you have an image and you only want to blur the area within your mask. so you draw a mask and apply the blur or whatever.
how can i do that in combustion?

the way it worked in the old paint/ effect was much better i think.

thanks for help

arvid
01-21-2003, 05:39 PM
You would need a matte-input on each node, combustion doesn't work this way since its really based on layers.. I would trade the layers for a true nodesystem any day :) You have to pull the footage into a (for example) blurnode, add a masknode after that, then pull that into the nearest composite node to make a new layer. :rolleyes:

Feel free to prove me wrong, I'd love to do this as well :beer:

xmb
01-21-2003, 05:45 PM
oh well... :) - bad bad little combustion!

but renderq is definately cool. i use it all the time...

Chris
01-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Why dont you just use selections? :eek: That is, after all, what they are for...

Have a wee gander in the manual, it is quite well written, & its probably the best place to learn about when you should be using masks (ie, when you wish to mask areas of a node/layer/composite/whatever) & when you should be using selections (ie, when you wish a subsiquent node/operator to only apply its effects to a certain region). You can also do thinks like output the keyer as a selection, instead of a mask (so you could, say apply a blur to all the red in an image)

its pretty flexable once you get your head around it.

xmb
01-21-2003, 09:14 PM
i see "selections" for the first time now in the combustion-menu, laugh. thanks...

arvid
01-21-2003, 11:43 PM
The selection thing isn't very useful IMO. You can't even apply an operation to the matte itself, they added the feather function because that would be the most common thing to add but even so, you can't noodle it to another set of nodes as mattes to be affected by the same mask. Maybe I've yet to see it's full potential or something *shrug*

Chris
01-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Instead of thinking better or worse, try thinking different (I'm not trying to make you switch to a mac :D)

Instead of noodeling the noodle to other noodles to duplicate the 'masking' on other noodles, you can just create your selection, then duplicate the selection operator onto other nodes. Effectively applying an instance of the operator to the other nodes. You can then apply other selection operators downstream of the instanced nodes, to further modify the original selection (using the usual boolean operations). You can of course then go back & alter any one of the instances of your original selection, the instanced selections will update non-destructively.

So you can noodle the nodes, if you use your noodle :D

arvid
01-22-2003, 08:27 AM
he he he :D

I have no doubt that combustion will cut the cheese but I was just saying it's not as effective ;)

Thanks tho :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.