PDA

View Full Version : how to place a specular highlight

pixlix2
07-29-2006, 04:52 PM
hello everyone,

I'm wondering if someone knows a method to place lights (like a point light) so that they produce a highlights on a surface. This is of course dependent on the camera position and the normals of the surfaces.

I know there is a tool in 3dsmax (called "place highlight"), now I'm looking for a workaround in maya (I'm pretty sure there is no specific tool for this job).

It's kind of frustrating, because I was just trying to do this manually and this is a nightmare. It just takes ages to figure out the right position for the light if you need to place the highlight on a tiny corner or any other non-organic form.

Kenton Baines
07-29-2006, 06:10 PM
use an antisotropic material and adjust the angle, width etc of the highlight ?

use the IPR render ?

use a texture map for the highlight ?

pixlix2
07-29-2006, 06:40 PM
hi, thanks for the answer.

ipr is probably the most comfortable method so far - still quite some guess work but definately faster than a "full" render.

Just to better illustrate why this "place highlight" tool in max is so handy (and by the way, I'm not a max user at all).
You pick a light and a face on an object. Then the tool will look at the vector of the camera and at the normal of the selected face. Then it will calculate a new position for the light depending to the two vectors.
Hmm, I should probably post this in the mel section :)

victor
07-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Make one light that is diffuse only, and another that is specular only, and move that one around.

You can use light linking if you want to do this separately for different objects.

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2006, 06:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.