PDA

View Full Version : Stoski / Gnomon DVDs on 3D Matte Painting...

StoskiDigital
07-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey there everyone. I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you I just completed a 3 DVD series with The Gnomon Workshop on Matte Paintings and Set Extensions.

Volume 1: Matte Painting for Film. This DVD covers basics like film resolutions as well as completing a matte painting from concept to final composite. I also get into CG waterfalls (particles) and trees.

Volume 2: 3D Matte Painting and Camera Mapping teaches camera map projection techniques on 2 different shots with animated cameras. I also show the full creation of one of those matte paintings in Photoshop and working with the live-action plate.

Volume 3: Set Extensions and Lighting Effects is the last in the series and covers the basics of working with a live-action plate, planning the set extension (in this case a few buildings) and animating their Las Vegas-like neon signs and the final comps.

Overall, each of the 3 DVDs arrives at several final matte paintings that are fully composited with their moving plates.

The attached image is from the cover of Volume 1. Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris Stoski
Digital Matte Artist
Industrial Light and Magic

www.stoskidigital.com

GonzaloGolpe
07-29-2006, 08:31 AM
I think itīs very cool!:D I think Iīll visit gnomon site,hehe.:)

Matellis
07-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Hats off to you for helping all of us noobs out :) I think these dvd's will be a must for anyone getting into Matte Painting.

I would also love to see a DVD get realeased of just some matte painters having a chat about the field, the does and don't , what to expect, the life of a matte painter and what one needs to do to break into the field. But i will just keep dreaming :)

Great work , these are going on my wish list :D

Cheers

StoskiDigital
07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
you said: I would also love to see a DVD get realeased of just some matte painters having a chat about the field, the does and don't , what to expect, the life of a matte painter

Though I don't talk with other matte artists on the DVD, I do have a lecture that is about the lifespan of a matte painting from concept to final film output. Also, throughout the DVD series, I talk about experiences I've had and lessons I've learned other than technique. I hope you find it useful.

Chris Stoski
Digital Matte Artist
Industrial Light and Magic

www.stoskidigital.com (http://www.stoskidigital.com/)

Velarion
07-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Thank you very much for your alert! It's great to have all of these informations in a set.First I thought it's like a "I'll teach you how you will make this painting" style dvd but it's both like it and also far more than that I think.I really want to learn how to make camera mapping & realistic set extensions and any other industry related technic. When will it be released?

MPavel
07-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, when we will put our hand on it? Is there any precise date?

JJASSO
07-29-2006, 05:07 PM
this are great news chris , what 3D package are you going to use there?? when can we know about the release? this infromation is a must know for all the matte painters around . thanks chris !

R-K
07-29-2006, 05:23 PM
hey that's good news - I mean, while I've learned a lot of the actual matte painting techniques by myself, this camera mapping and live action compositing etc is pretty much science fiction to me :P

StoskiDigital
07-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Gnomon tells me the release date should be around 3 to 6 weeks. On the DVDs I am using 3D Studio Max, however the techniques I teach can be applied to any 3d software. I've been using 3D Studio Max for about 8 years now, so of course I have a few tricks I use all the time, however I aimed the lectures of Volume 2 at those who are trying to learn how to implement camera map projections into their matte paintings in general. I talk about good uses of camera mapping and how far you can stretch the technique and show when it breaks.

MPavel
07-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Fantastic! Those DVD gonna rock :buttrock: 3d max + camera mapping - wow! 100% that i`m after =)) And i got only 1 question after all that news - what took you so long, man?! :scream:

StoskiDigital
07-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Great! I'm glad your into it MPavel. The attached matte painting is one I create on the Volume 2: 3D Matte Painting and Camera Mapping DVD. I also show how to camera map it, animate a realistic helicopter-like camera move and work with the plate (the moving water). I hope you like it.

MPavel
07-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Pity that guys like you, Chris, answering questions only in the topics like that ( Finnaly i`ll find many answers for my questions :)

Respect to you, Chris!

Velarion
07-30-2006, 11:44 AM
wow, it will be a great dvd set:bounce:

JJASSO
07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
very interesting projects chris I'm sure we will all learn a lot thanks for sharing !

thx1138
07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Yummy :bounce:

Really looking forward to this. I haven't even finished watchting some of the other Gnomon DVD's yet, but I can't wait to get these.

Thanks for the teaser Chris :thumbsup:

Daniel-B
07-31-2006, 08:42 PM
These look great, Chris. The Volume 2 matte painting looks awesome. Did you work on the Shanghai sequence in Mission Impossible 3? It reminds me of that.

CodeNothing
07-31-2006, 11:09 PM
awsome chris! I'll definitely be picking these up as soon as they come out! :thumbsup:

StoskiDigital
08-01-2006, 02:30 AM
PixeMagic: No, I can't take credit for MI:3 work, but we're all proud of the work that the Matte Painting Department did on that show! I think most of the audience doesn't even realize the shots are FX shots.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'll post more from the DVDs in a bit.

Daniel-B
08-01-2006, 03:45 AM
PixeMagic: No, I can't take credit for MI:3 work, but we're all proud of the work that the Matte Painting Department did on that show! I think most of the audience doesn't even realize the shots are FX shots.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'll post more from the DVDs in a bit.

Well, I wouldn't have known they were FX shots either, but I read an article on it. Awesome work, no doubt.

witchking
08-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Brilliant artwork. Will be awesome to learn more details of matte paintings and how to composite 'em into live action plate. I'll buy them dvds as soon as they release.

Inlakechh
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll definetaly get my hands on these Chris.

witchking
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Chris...You already shown us a preview of the matte painting for DVD1 and 2... now any chance of showing us a preview of the matte painting done in the 3rd DVD? :)

Wizdoc
08-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to these.

All of your work is top-notch, but what you did on The Ring specifically was absolutely flawless. Set extensions are usually somewhat easy to spot due to their sheer impossibility to shoot practical, but only after I read an article about the VFX I realized that the whole lighthouse sequence was "fake". Pure brilliance.

modjtab
08-16-2006, 10:52 PM
i think this is a nice one!
a set which starts by painting and finishes by 3dlizing and fine detailing and i think getting ability to have some walkthrow.:bounce:
thanks

StoskiDigital
08-17-2006, 05:17 AM
witchking: Here is one of the shots I did for DVD3: Set Extensions and Lighting Effects. On the disc you'll see how I plan to use the plate (moving cars and people) and create the set extension (the main building and almost all of the signs in the shot except the 2 on the far left side) with 2D painting and 3D renderings. I also show modeling techniques, camera matching basics, CG lighting and comp lighting effects. I then go on to animate lights and signs then comp it all together. Let me know if you have any questions!

Velarion
08-17-2006, 10:01 AM
My question is not about our topic but I'm very very curious about it.How long does it take for you to finish a very detailed matte painting at ILM?like the ones in Revenge of the Sith?And do you make the modelling,texturing,rendering yourself?

witchking
08-17-2006, 02:41 PM
fantastic artwork...these dvds will answer alot of my questions...and im sure i'll have more questions after i view them.

im checking the gnomon website everyday (the coming soon section) to see when these dvds will release.

everlite
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Chris,

Waiting truely is one of lifes really gripes. Let us all know the second they get released, wonder if you can pre order?

your website is really awsome, some truely inspiring work, i'm sure the DVDs will surpass in quality. Do you have any plans to continue with any more DVDs?

- Dave.

mordecaidesign
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey Chris,

Waiting truely is one of lifes really gripes.

- Dave.

I agree. I am very excited about this release. In fact I'm doing extra freelance work to be able to afford these. :D

StoskiDigital
08-18-2006, 03:24 AM
I'm really happy that you guys are interested and excited to see the DVDs. I put alot of work into them and tried to cover important parts of working in the industry. It's really great to hear all of your enthusiasm!

everlite: right now I'm not sure if I'll do another DVD. I guess it all depends on how well they're accepted and if there is enough public interest in more of my techniques.

Velarion: I've been fortunate enough to work at places that require the matte painters to model, texture and light their scenes when applicable. However, other studios have their matte artists stick to the 2D painting or texturing of things only.

Velarion
08-18-2006, 03:44 AM
thank you very much for your reply:thumbsup:

SamSed
08-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Volume 1: Matte Painting for Film. This DVD covers basics like film resolutions as well as completing a matte painting from concept to final composite. I also get into CG waterfalls (particles) and trees.

Volume 2: 3D Matte Painting and Camera Mapping teaches camera map projection techniques on 2 different shots with animated cameras. I also show the full creation of one of those matte paintings in Photoshop and working with the live-action plate.

Volume 3: Set Extensions and Lighting Effects is the last in the series and covers the basics of working with a live-action plate, planning the set extension (in this case a few buildings) and animating their Las Vegas-like neon signs and the final comps.

I've been waiting for those DVD forever, i'm definetly buying them. Great work !:thumbsup::thumbsup:

witchking
08-24-2006, 07:12 PM
the gnomonworkshop's comingsoon section just got updated...but no info on these matte painting dvds :( ...so im guessing the release date got pushed to october prolly.

mike0006
08-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Oh no? I just went there and they are up! October 9th. Looks like I should start saving up.

everlite
08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
October 9th!!! Soooo long, It's like waiting for christmas!

Oh they better be worth it :-)

everlite
08-25-2006, 07:26 AM
Oh crap, just realised i don't use shake, i'm only just learning my way around after effects, will this be a problem i wonder?

StoskiDigital
08-25-2006, 05:41 PM
If you don't use Shake that's ok, don't worry about it. You'll be able to understand how I layer things together in Shake and then all the techniques after that can be applied to whatever comp software you want to use. This works both ways, I used to use After effects. Some of the tricks I show here I learned in After Effects and now I'm simply implementing them in Shake. Remember I'm trying to teach how the comp is put together and how to comp like a Matte Artist, not how to use the software.

everlite
08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Mate, i've learnt a lot from you in the past, and i'm sure i'll continue to learn alot from you in the future :-)

I'm just learning about camera projection techniques as i write, mainly through trial and error, so anything you can suggest with be a big boost in my learning. The waterfall, i'm interested to see how this looks, it seems most dynamic water effects created with max tend to look very blurry and CG.

Any chance you can post the final animated shot?

Very much looking forward to the DVDs.

If you get a chance, please take a look over my recent project using camera projection and suggest how this might be improved, currently lacks any real point of interest i think:

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/housepan1.avi

original image:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3810766#post3810766

Cheers again - Dave.

StoskiDigital
08-25-2006, 09:02 PM
A couple quick comments:

-I agree it's lacking a strong focal point...
-Maybe hide the car and flag for now and focus on the framing of the building
-Try and reframe the building. Maybe more centered, let's see more of the left side.Maybe we should see 10 to 15 feet on either side of this building for a nice establishing shot framing?
-Make the camera move side to side, remove the push-in part (I think simpler is better)
-Usually when it snows the sky is lower contrast than what you have here and also there tends to be more atmosphere and ambient light all over
-Try flash the blacks on the building and lessen the bright light on the ground snow
-Later if you add the car back in, scale it down a bit, typically these windows on architecture like this are very large and I think the car (and flag) is throwing the scale off

-Try to make the snowflakes less round and more chaotic in shape (maybe a bitsmaller too)
-Overall, the camera mapping is working pretty well, I think it's mainly the painting that needs to look more real. There could be more parallax in the top left parts of the walls, but I've seen shots cheated like you have here and the audience believes it's 3D because the overall amount of parallax is dominant.

Keep workin hard.

StoskiDigital
08-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Here's the Gnomon www site update if you guys are interested:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/comingsoon.html

roguenroll
08-29-2006, 07:19 PM
:thumbsup:

great to learn some of these technique. Its been missing so far in the
matte series training. much needed.

Daniel-B
09-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Cool, Chris. Looks great.

witchking
10-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Gnomon pushed back the release date of them dvds by 1 week ...to Oct 16th :(

Instead now, an introduction to Corel Painter by Ryan Church will be released on Oct 9th.

everlite
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Another week to wait!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon9.gif baaaaad gnomon.

thx1138
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
It's a cruel world :(

Xdreamer79
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah already preordered mine in germany. Bad to wait again :(

AnimZiggy
10-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah already preordered mine in germany. Bad to wait again :(

how did u pre-ordered them? i can't see this option on their website? :shrug:

Xdreamer79
10-07-2006, 08:15 PM
how did u pre-ordered them? i can't see this option on their website? :shrug:

-> Just write them an email :=)

AnimZiggy
10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
-> Just write them an email :=)

doh :D
thankss

everlite
10-15-2006, 09:16 PM
I asked to pre-order and they said it wasn't possible, i had to wait until the day of release! the cheaky ...

So are they available to order yet?

witchking
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
pushed back another 2 days....18th October now

everlite
10-16-2006, 06:06 PM
That Ryan Church, still hugging the front page :)

Hey i noticed another Matte painting DVD out, though maya based, so not too sure.

AnimZiggy
10-18-2006, 09:57 AM
everlite,

yeah it's not possible but they gave me the name of their reseller in the UK: http://www.computerbooks.com (http://www.computerbooks.com/) but also said it's difficult to find their products online and maybe give them a ring...(don't think you can find anything on that site not even a phone number)

Grgeon
10-18-2006, 05:41 PM
It's the 18th and still no update :\ I can't wait!

-George

everlite
10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Sooo long, then i have to wait ten days for delivery :sad: though i'm sure it will be worth the wait :thumbsup:

- Dave.

AnimZiggy
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
i'm getting them from here: http://www.3dpowerstore.com/
they do pre-orders i think and its over in germany cant take that long to deliver once they got them in stock!

everlite
10-19-2006, 05:34 PM
There up on gnomon. Take a look at the short video clips, they look pretty interesting. Can't wait until the arrive in the post. More waiting, seems all we ever do :)

- Dave

everlite
10-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Chris if you're still watching this thread, whats the average time you get to complete a matte painting?

- Dave.

StoskiDigital
10-26-2006, 08:01 AM
everlite, that's a real difficult question to answer because every shot is different. Do you have a specific shot type in mind?

everlite
10-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Chris,

I was just thinking of an average, what's the longest time you've been permitted to work on a shot, and say the shortest? I was just wondering if it's always quite a tight deadlines or do you get enough time to really plan out your project and come up with a few ideas.

Not to worry if you can't answer this, i can understand it's a difficult one to pin down.

On other notes i should receive your DVDs very soon, i'm really looking forward to them when they arrive.

I just watch the new Eragon trailer, that looks really amazing, did you have any invlovement with this film?

Thanks - Dave.

StoskiDigital
11-03-2006, 05:43 AM
everlite said: I was just thinking of an average, what's the longest time you've been permitted to work on a shot, and say the shortest?

In these terms, the shortest is about 1 day and the longest is about 2 months. This probably isn't that helpful. Sorry. These 2 shots are DRASTICALLY different as you might have guessed.

Regarding Eragon, I didn't work on it. Once again, lots of nice work by my fellow co-workers!

everlite
11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Cheers Chris, apologies, not the easiliest question. So which Matte are you most proud of? again, not an easy one :)

I received your DVDs through the post yesterday, i've just finished watching the first two and onto the third one next. Thumbs up so far, spot on, learning so much. Though i was hoping you might have covered the techniques of moving between two camera projections as this is something i still struggle to understand. Maybe one for the future.

Cheers again - Dave.

StoskiDigital
11-07-2006, 04:10 AM
everlite: Maybe sometime in the future I can put together something showing the multiple camera mapping techniques. For the DVD I felt there was alot to teach not just about setting a camera map, but actually doing a full camera mapping type matte painting and finishing the shot. That all added up to 170 minutes of lecture.

As for the matte painting I am most proud of... that is a hard question. I think most artists never view their own work as perfect, I know I don't. I've done a wide variety of shots, 2d, 3d, 2.5d etc, and many of them were learning milestones for me. I suppose the 45 second long 3D matte painting from THE RING with the lighthouse and island is one that stands-out as being a real challenge (especially considering the date - done in 2001). It was a very large and ambitous 3D matte painting that Matte World Digital trusted me with. I can't take all the credit, shots this complicated you never do yourself. There's always camera tracking, roto, compositing, etc... the team was great! This was also the first massive 3d Matte Painting for Matte World as a studio, so I guess we all felt like we accomplished something special when we completed it.

AnimZiggy
11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
hey chris i received your dvds today!! way! can't wait to go homeee! i 'll let you know about them :)

everlite
11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Cheers Chris. I've watch all three of the DVDs over the weekend and they are indeed very good, a valuable insight and educational asset for anyone interested in developing their matte painting skills, and what's more it's interesting to here about the job itself, a day in the life of approach. Thumbs up from me, i'm not sure what else you could cover but i hope you get the opportunity to do more DVDs in the future.

I agree, i've never been happy with my own work, but i believe this pushes me on to better myself. There's always something else that could be done a little different here and there, but i guess that's art for ya, never finished only abandoned as they say.

I've never seen the western version of the Ring, i'll take a look tomorrow and see if i can pick up a copy. 45 seconds for a single matte, that seems a long time. It looks amazingly complex from your website.

Cheers again - Dave.:thumbsup:

srproductions
11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Hey!

I am probably going to buy this set, but I have a question. On the first DVD - Matte Painting Production Techniques - what softwares are used to complete the tut? I know Photoshop, 3DS Max, and Shake, but are there any others?

Also, in Set Extensions & Lighting Effects, are you working in 1080i HD resolution?

StoskiDigital
11-23-2006, 02:49 AM
The other software package I use is Vue. I show a simple example of how I've used it to create vegetation for shots in the past. It's not very complicated and it's a short segment.

All of the plates I've used on my DVDs are using 1920x1080 res plates (not interlaced).

dellis
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Chris,

Are you using the camera Map per pixel for camera mapping or just the regular camera map modifier for your dvds?

StoskiDigital
11-28-2006, 03:49 AM
I favor the regular Camera Mapping modifier. The Per Pixel solution wasn't available with earlier versions of Max so I thought it would be useful to users who watched the DVDs that might still be running older versions of Max if I showed them the work-arounds.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2006, 03:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.