PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the content of Open Figure Drawing Workshops (OFDWs)?

Rebeccak
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi guys,

Elsie made me wonder if more people might be interested in seeing changes made to the Open Figure Drawing Workshop series (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2602753&postcount=3). Please vote in the poll, and post your comments and suggestions here. Thank you for your input!

You should be allowed to vote for multiple options.

Also, I've revamped the poll (only Elsie and razz had voted so I think this is ok) as I forgot to include one poll option initially. Elsie and razz, you may want to vote again (my apologies). :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Oh, Zapan's vote reminded me that we sometimes (though not often) have 3D Artists participate in our OFDWs. I'd like to see more of that! Especially with the Anatomy Lesson Series (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375031), I think we successfully kicked down the door for participation in the Workshops here for 3D Artists. I'd like to encourage 3D Artists to participate in our future OFDWs in the same way! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
07-28-2006, 06:15 PM
One thing too that I am thinking is asking Hong if he might take images of a model posing in the same pose as a figure in a Master Work. Then if multiple reference shots were taken, this might help 3D Artists to model the figure, as well as 2D Artists to get a real life perspective on the reference.

This is just an idea, and would be totally up to Hong if he could do this. I'll ask him about it soon. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SaraD
07-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Maybe there could be some kind of mix between a theme, and photos from Hong. Given a couple of modelphotos, and a theme to go with it - like outdoors, at home, in motion (maube with som ref.photos) etc. and then the opposite - given a enviroment and place a figure from your own imagination in it. Could give us a challenge in composition with some help in the start :)

Elsie
07-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Maybe there could be some kind of mix between a theme, and photos from Hong. Given a couple of modelphotos, and a theme to go with it - like outdoors, at home, in motion (maube with som ref.photos) etc. and then the opposite - given a enviroment and place a figure from your own imagination in it. Could give us a challenge in composition with some help in the start :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking of - given a few different poses/ref photos like the Hong Ly ones in the earlier OFDW's then given a theme to expand on it from making it into an imaginative painting. :) I think that would be fun.

Mal-1
07-31-2006, 01:54 PM
I like the OFDW's at the moment but would not mind if they alternated from time to time to other references other than Master copies. The biggest hurdle I pressume is time...I think Rebecca does a great job and everyone else who contributes to the on going success of OFDW. I am really glad I found this site.

erilaz
07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
One thing too that I am thinking is asking Hong if he might take images of a model posing in the same pose as a figure in a Master Work. Then if multiple reference shots were taken, this might help 3D Artists to model the figure, as well as 2D Artists to get a real life perspective on the reference.

This is just an idea, and would be totally up to Hong if he could do this. I'll ask him about it soon. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

This would be useful. I found the model explainations in the Anatomy for the Artist book very helpful in that regard, so further study in this area would be educational.

Ego
07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
OFDW has been very educational. I do not mind at all having a choice of figure refs in conjunction with the Master copies. :thumbsup:

kary
08-01-2006, 02:32 AM

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

That would work quite well. Some people work more slowly (me) then others (Intervain), but that kind of photo ref would definately open it up to folks doing 3D. Full figure work is a big commitment, but if I am in a down month a project like that (in a great environment like the OFDW) would be great :)

aggie93
08-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I agree with Sara. A good theme would be fun. I do not care if we adapt a master to fit or photo of a model.

Oh and by the way, Reb, I am getting a Gateway Tablet soon. Supposedly I can use it just like a Walcom and still get it for use with work. I am so excited!

Zephyri
08-05-2006, 01:39 AM
From a purely personal point of view, I think it would be good to have a bit of alternation between OFDWs. Maybe focussing on a mastercopy one workshop, then painting from reference the next, and maybe something themed after that, or mixture thereof. The way I see it is you get a good range of benefits from the various disciplines, and the more immaginative threads might give you a chance to put into practice the techniques and skills learned through master and reference copies. But then I'm a fairly varied artist and mixing it up like that is good for me, and keeps me interested. I think if you do mix up the reference and master copies within one thread, again, from my point of view, a smaller number of pictures works better, say a maximum of four, as it gives me more of other people's work to not only compare my own against, but to see how others tackle the same subject.

I like the idea of having an environment and placing a figure within it, this would be great for those who want to try and get to grips with working with the figure when you don't have a specific reference.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.