PDA

View Full Version : HDRI map

WKang
07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
so how does making a hdr map work?
is it something difficult to accomplish?

bunter
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
AFAIK what you need is a digital SLR on a good tripod to take lots of shots at different exposures, a chrome/mirrored ball to point the camera at and the software to glom the pictures together into an HDRI. HDRshop or maybe Photoshop CS2 now that it supports the HDR format.

WKang
07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
are there any specific tutorials on this topic? I couldnt really understand you've said

bunter
07-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Do you want to make your own HDRI or just use one in cinema 4D?

WKang
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
i want to make one that i can use for all or most softwares.

After5
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
They are easy to create if you have PhotoshopCS, I make my own. There are many tutorials online about creating HDRI's, you just need the proper tools like Bunter says. I picked up a 10" chrome ball at an outlet store for $8.

WKang
07-28-2006, 02:40 PM
oh you actually need to buy a chromeball? lol. Not saying it would be hard.
So what exactly are the softwares i need?
I've looked at the one you've posted. I could see you or the photographer. How do you get rid of that?

After5
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
I use use Photoshop just because I've been using it for so long, and CS2 has great HDRI tools. For final hdri maps, I use a remote or timer on camera and take the shots, then you dont see me. Maybe some post editing in photoshop. I don't worry about seeing the camera to much. I use these mainly for ambient lighting of my scenes with a sky object. It does not make much difference on what you see, just using the illumunation information.

WKang
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
so really all you need is photshop, camera and a chrome ball. Is there a specific type of chrome ball or just any kind?

After transfering the image to photoshop, you edited and then how do you save it?

edit:wheres the hdri tool located in ps?

jsls
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Start here...

http://www.cgtechniques.com/tutorials.php

laurent
07-28-2006, 06:49 PM
no, you don't need a globe.

laurent
07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
no, you don't need a globe, that's to get an environment close to 360 it has nothing to do with HDRI.

imashination
07-28-2006, 10:58 PM
no, you don't need a globe, that's to get an environment close to 360 it has nothing to do with HDRI.

The main use of making a hdri is as an environment to wrap around your scene. This does need a globe. As the original poster is asking how to do this then he will indeed need a globe to make one.

WKang
07-29-2006, 07:00 AM
10''? thts kinda big?
Which store sells this balls?

UK3D
07-29-2006, 09:53 AM
You can usually get large spheres from garden stores and the like. Also it is better to change th f stops on your camera rather than shutter spead as this effects focal length. The trick to getting you out of the shot is use a good distance between the camera and sphere and a descent lens. I use a 100-400mm zoom. I use Adobe bridge to batch make HDRI it speeds the process up a little.
I have small tutorial of what to with the HDR once made. http://www.uk3d.com/other/hdri_in_c4d.htm Hope it helps.

Robert Glotzbach
07-29-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm also preparing to create my own HDRI's, I downloaded a free copy of HDRshop here. (http://www.debevec.org/HDRShop/)
This site also has some usefull tutorials on how to create them including a way of how to eliminate the photographer or tripot.

Kind regards, Robert

Trig Fuller
07-29-2006, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=UK3D Also it is better to change th f stops on your camera rather than shutter spead as this effects focal length. [/QUOTE]

Hi

not wanting to be critical but in fact it is better to change the shutter speed than the F-Stop, because changing the F-Stop affects the depth of field(ie could end up at a wide aperture with some of the sphere out of focus).

As for getting the photographer out of the reflection, if you use hdrshop(version 1 is free, www.hdrshop.com), by combining 2 sets of images of a sphere shot 90 degrees apart the program removes the camera/photographer. This program is PC only, but I use it via Virtual PC on a mac without any problems.

Trig

WKang
07-29-2006, 01:19 PM
is there a specific type of camera that i have to use or can i use any?

imashination
07-29-2006, 05:18 PM
is there a specific type of camera that i have to use or can i use any?

At the minimum you need a digital one with manual exposure/fstops(aperture) at best you would want a digital slr with bracketing to change the settings for you.

UK3D
08-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Trig, of course you are right. Had a brain fart on the f stop. Shutter speed is the way to go not f stop change... as in my own tutorial... Too much time in the sun shooting silver spheres I guess!

FranOnTheEdge
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Fascinating. Must keep an eye on this thread. I'm not in the US though so chrome spheres may not be so easy to aquire... but I'll keep a look out for one... (got the camera etc)

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.