PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a baseball (Stitches)

peglegpeet13
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I am very new to modeling, I have just started school. I am modeling a baseball and was just curious if anyone has any hints for wrapping the stitches around the ball. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Chicano3000X3
07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
you can try putting the stitches as a bump mapped texture.
you can use a pic of a baseball, or make the stitches yourself with photoshop, or even paint..

What program are you using?

peglegpeet13
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
I am using Max 8, I also have Photoshop CS2 if necessary.

Simen91
07-31-2006, 10:12 PM
if you are using C4D i belive it is a baseball-ball texture there as an defoult... i have never tried it but if it doesn't work out right you could work on it in PS...

deebster
08-03-2006, 10:20 PM
it would be easiest to bump map or draw it in. But if you really want to model it, I would use half of a torus and just dupe it over and over again.

peglegpeet13
08-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I think I will try both ways. Practice can never hurt. Thanks for the responces, I really love modeling. It is great!

bandaid
08-04-2006, 08:47 PM
i am not trying to undermine what everyone else posted, but i feel it would be easiest with modeling the stitches in. i haven't ever been able to find a good/decent texture maps that accomplishes any sort of sports sphere and end up modeling everything from scratch.

baseballs have 2 pieces of leather wrapped around a ball of string or something like that. so you are going to want to cut a sphere into 2 pieces, you could do this with the epoly cut tool, but it would take a while and results may not be symmetrical. therefore, i recommend doing a shape merge onto a sphere, and then putting symmetry on it so you only have to do work on one side.

so make a sphere, and a line object in the shape of soemthing like this:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7718/splineto4.gif

the result isn't pretty at the start, but by sliding extra verts while keeping them contrained on edge and welding them to the original vertext of the sphere, you get will get what you want.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9735/symmetryeu4.gif

after that you can just select your new seam that you cut into the sphere, create shape out of that, make 1 little stitch and then use the spacing tool to stick stitches on and fix their position as necessary. then texture.

um... after all this i am thinking perhaps look for a texture map.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2006, 08:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.