PDA

View Full Version : Making My Model Exactly Like the Reference

dgdatong
07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi guys,
I am new in 3D modelling but I am serious about this business and really hope I will be one of the Guys one day.

However, while trying to model the human head, i never seem to get my model to look lik my reference. colud anyone give me tips?

erilaz
07-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi guys,
I am new in 3D modelling but I am serious about this business and really hope I will be one of the Guys one day.

However, while trying to model the human head, i never seem to get my model to look lik my reference. colud anyone give me tips?

Could you post some examples? Maybe we can point out some of the problem areas for you.

dousman
08-04-2006, 01:03 PM
You need to pay attention to proportions, and anatomy. Thats the tag line.

P.S. When you model with foto references dont trust them by 100%, because fotos have perspective distortion, use your eyes and brain. Look at your model in different angles and analyze whats looks good and whats need to be fixed. Post your work on forum and recieve criticism.

Imagus
08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi guys,

However, while trying to model the human head, i never seem to get my model to look lik my reference. colud anyone give me tips?Mmmm... depending on how new you are, the human head can be a very daunting task, as it is one of the most complex and detailed parts of the human body, and also one with which even the most casual observer is familiar.

As a suggestion, it might not be a bad idea to try modeling slightly simpler objects for a while... not ridiculously simplistic, just a bit less complex. Get the feel of your software's tools. Learn some new tricks, some new working methodologies. In the meantime, study the human form, including the face. Become familiar with the elements, contours, and shapes. Then, after a while, when you've bulked up your knowledge of the head's structure, familiarity with modeling in general, and your knowledge of the software package itself, try again. You may be surprised how far you've come.

Another suggestion, primarily for learning new methodologies, would be to look up head modeling tutorials, not to follow them step-by-step, but to "get inside the head" (cool but unintended wordplay) of someone who has worked with the subject before. Especially if the tutorial is done in the software you're using, it will help you find a way of working that you're comfortable with.

Hope this all makes sense. I've been :banghead: trying to model the human head myself, and though I still have a long way to go, these are a few things I've found that have helped. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

-= Imagus =-

eyezac
08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I have had the same problem... Which is why I have avoided human and animal anatomy. I did find this great tutorial (posted in the 3dsMax/tutorials thread) which has been an encouragement to try again. hope it helps.

http://forums.ego-farms.com/index.php?topic=93

zac

antonymuse
09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
wow! what a link, thanks eyezac :)

dave247
09-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Hey I have a really nice head modeling tutorial for Cinema 4D that uses reference images if you want it. It's 223 mb, probably a lot less if i compress it with winrar... But I could upload it to a server and give you a link if you want. It is pretty good I think. PM me if u are interested.

davids
10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Its all about relationships. Start with the broader features and work towards the smaller one. I always work the Overall head shape first so top of the head, jawline then move into the smaller features. Just keep comparing the relationships between the bottom of the chin to the lip on your model to the bottom of the chin to the lip on the picture then compare nose to the eyes.. eyes to the ears.. ears to the jaw hinge point.. hinge point to the nose .. nose to the lips.. lips to the eyes.. etc. not in that order either.

I just compare relationships back and forth till everything is right.. make sure you get the big features down first though cause that will throw everything else off if u do it last.

Hope that helps.

Happy Trees
10-16-2006, 06:55 AM
My greatest sugestion is find the joan of arc tutorial for 3dmax (if youre using something else try to find equivalent tools in your package. Work through the whole body and the face. To find out why you are doing what youre doing go to subdivisionmodelling.com and look at the primer. That should give you a good background on everything as far as the modelling part of the process.

You do need a good background as far as understanding structures in the long run. Clay(sculpy or plastelin) sculpture and figure drawing will help you greatly. So basicaly what everyone else has said.

Amphiblien
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Just like everything in art, it's really about observation. Get as much reference as possible.
Don't get too caught up in front and side templates. They won't match up and your model will seem stiff if you spend most of your time modeling in front and side views. In order to really get the essence of the likeness, I have much more success in perspective views with a lot of reference.

Hi guys,

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.