PDA

View Full Version : Calculus anyone?

singularity2006
01-21-2003, 05:51 AM
This probably isn't the best place to ask this question, but is anyone really really good @ integral calculus? I could use some serious help on it if anyone can spare the time and patience for my over-mental denseness.. :bowdown:

elvis
01-21-2003, 05:57 AM
heh... i remember doing that in my early engineering days at university. haven't touched the stuff since then!

my old house-mate's little brother asked me for some calculus help about a year ago, and i said "yeah, no worries!". 10 minutes later i had a headache and he wasn't any further in his problem. it's funny how quickly the brain forgets these things.

singularity2006
01-21-2003, 06:03 AM
it's onleee been less than a year and i forgot all my methods of integration... I'm screwed... >.<

I'm actually having an incredibly tough time managing trying to find a major. I've bounced around frmo here to there and have bounced into consideration for administrative law... but i don't know anymore.

elvis
01-21-2003, 06:18 AM
my study history: these are the degrees i have studied for at least a semester or more (in chronological Order)

Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Philosophy
Psychology (hasn't everyone?)
Cognitive Science
Information Technology

and you want to know the really funny thing? i have a degree in Computer Science! i never actually enrolled, but by the end of 6.5 years of uni I had studied all of the pre-reqs thanks to the above majors, and even had credit left over to spare! i applied to graduate and was given the degree on the spot! :applause:

don't feel bad about not having direction in your studies just yet. there's nothing worse than painting yourself into a corner too early in life and regretting it forever more.

AmateurOne
01-23-2003, 02:58 PM
I probably can't do it either, But I run Macsyma for those awkward moments when senility bests me. If the expression has only one independent variable I can likely get you an answer--if it has one.

If indefinite post the expression in the form:

f(x) = expression

if definite:

f(x) a|b = expression

where 'a' is the lower limit and 'b' is the upper limit.

For the expression :
use x as the independent variable.
Use standard math symbols: + - * / .
Use ^ for exponentiation.
Use fractional exponents for roots.
use functional notation for other operators e.g. sin(2*x),
ln(pi^(3*x)) etc
Parenthesize the devil out of it so there is no
ambiguity of association or operator precedence.

In any case good luck!

Thalaxis
01-23-2003, 03:54 PM
It's been quite a while, but I did quite a bit with calculus in general in college.

GregHess
01-23-2003, 05:33 PM
I took Calc I and II around 5 times combined I think. Then I decided microbiology wasn't for me.

I hate integrals...they should all go to hell and die.

danhua76
01-23-2003, 06:26 PM
die integral! die! buwhahahahaha!!!

i took calc I and II a while back also. then i became an industrial designer. found out that industrial designers didn't need anything higher than trig at best.

i am impressed though that we have this many professionals in the creative arts and design field that have had such a high level of mathematics while in school.

the hell with all those who say us designers are not good at math and writing so that's why we went into design.

hehehe...

Thalaxis
01-23-2003, 06:31 PM
You need calc for physics... and my degree was in biophysics, but not until after I took astronomy and quantum mechanics. After that, the math required for computer science seemed pretty simple to me :D

mucksmear
01-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Quantum was a "weeder" class: by midterms, there were 50% of us left. By finals, there were 50% of the intital 50% left.

-E

Thalaxis
01-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Somehow, I'm not surprised.

GregHess
01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Sounds like organic chemistry and biochemistry. Man Orgo was hard.

Thalaxis
01-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Organic was a challenge... but biochem was a waste of time. It was all rote memorization, which was pretty clear from the fact that the majority of the lectures consisted of "professors" writing information the board directly out of the text, and then asking "write that information" on the test.

As far as education goes, biochem was a joke... and since I went to a school known for pre-med, and that was one of the core pre-med classes, I ended up leaving with minimal remaining respect for doctors in general... and what respect I had left was quickly quashed when one of my closest friends (who went on to med school) told me about his classmates...

loop29
01-23-2003, 09:02 PM
What kinda Integrals you wanna solve? functions only with one variable or by two variables. Sometimes I even forgot about basic solving methods of Integrals, donīt miss the product rule : )
MathCAD would be really helpful for those calculations you wanna make, but anyway I think I could give you some support if you tell me what you wanna do, if it doesnīt gets to deep like integrals by 3 variables and coordiate system transformations, I guess I wouldnīt get these ones in the first try : )

regards

GregHess
01-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Thal,

I think its also a factor of who your professor is. I've seen art professors which would make orgo students cry due to the amount of work and displine required to pass their class.

Thalaxis
01-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Greg --

I think you're right. I had some fairly easy classes that were tortuous, and some extremely difficult classes that were a lot of fun.

Naturally, I learned a LOT more in the fun ones, regardless of challenge level, than in the others.

Gyan
01-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
This probably isn't the best place to ask this question, but is anyone really really good @ integral calculus? I could use some serious help on it if anyone can spare the time and patience for my over-mental denseness.. :bowdown:

I was _decent_ at it a few years back. Haven't done anything since. Post a scanned jpg here of the problem if you can.

Also, try Martin Gardner's Calculus Made Easy (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312185480/qid=1043365849/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-5622091-6661548?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) books. If you understand the techniques but not the grounding behind them (why should I use technique A here ?), try Tom Apostol (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471000051/qid=1043366118/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/104-5622091-6661548?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) or Michael Spivak (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0914098896/ref=pd_sim_books_1/104-5622091-6661548?v=glance&s=books) books. Avoid the current crop of programmed Calculus instructional texts. Note that Apostol can get dense, but after reading it, you will be creating your own techniques ;). Spivak, OTOH, is(was) considered the best undergrad Calculus text bar none.

Post to alt.math.undergrad or sci.math (in the latter, you might be booed for asking such "trivial" questions, but you will get an answer from someone)

Integral calculus is generally more troublesome. Unlike differentiation, you need more ingenuity than the consistent and simple methods you can use in differential calc.

singularity2006
01-24-2003, 07:09 AM
:bounce:

thanks for the nFo.... yah.... weird stuffs... >.<

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.