PDA

View Full Version : Afro Samurai (trailer)

ParamountCell
07-26-2006, 12:13 AM
May contain language and scenes unsuitable for younglings
http://media.tv.ign.com/media/843/843116/vids_1.html

official site

http://www.afrosamurai.com/

Im loving that beat. I kinda really liked the old site though.

archerx
07-26-2006, 12:17 AM
IGN wants me to register as an inside to see this.....

ParamountCell
07-26-2006, 12:19 AM
IGN wants me to register as an inside to see this.....

really ? I just had to enter my date of birth.

DeadlyFreeze
07-26-2006, 12:30 AM
The whole hiphop samurai thing has been done before, might be good though. Just have to wait and see.

Jadetiger
07-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Lol Samuel L. Jackson... Bad ass m***** f***** samurai . I'm not a fan of ridiculous blood and gore, but I may have to see that...

torncanvas
07-26-2006, 02:37 AM
If it's anything like The Blind Ni**ah Samurai from Boondocks, this is going to rule.

Slurry
07-26-2006, 02:39 AM
I couldn't get the trailer to work but I saw a sneak of this a couple years ago at teh Ottawa International Film Festival and it was off the hook.
I can't wait for this to hit the DVD shelf.

Art

Valrik
07-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Perhaps I should not have taken my AfroSamurai figure out of the package...

http://www.valrik.net/gallery/albums/albums/February-2004/DSC00461.jpg

amannin
07-26-2006, 05:59 AM
i watched this at comic con -- it looked alright. very stylized, but somehow felt very familiar *cough* samurai champloo *cough* -- though, it only previewed fight scenes, and didn't hint towards a story at all, so i'll wait to hear from reviews before i decide anything.

dunkelzahn
07-26-2006, 08:07 AM
This black hiphop samurai thing strongly reminds me of Jim Jarmuschīs movie "Ghost dog". Itīll be hard to beat that, hmmm

MrPositive
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow I was truly into that trailer until I heard Samuel Jackson's voice.....exactly what I didn't expect.....that's just not the voice or attitude I imagined....oh well.

urgaffel
07-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Could be interesting depending on how well they do it. Makes me think of samurai champloo without the humour though...

EyeAmYou
07-26-2006, 05:17 PM
looks pretty sweet. i really like the art style of it. yeah i agree it doesn't KINDA remind me of champloo. and yes, the dialogue at the end was straight up retarded. it sounded almost like it was a clip from something else the way the sound was mixed. but overall it looks really badass.

FunkyCowie
07-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Samurai Champloo is so much better

Geta-Ve
07-26-2006, 08:28 PM
I loved Champloo, but this looks pretty sick too.

Freestyler
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
it's never gonna beat Samurai Champloo,

I still watch those eps from time to time

slaughters
07-26-2006, 09:54 PM
I loved Champloo, but this looks pretty sick too.No. no. no. You are obviously not into the spirit of internet debates. It's is impossible to like more than one thing at a time ! If one thing is great, then all others even remotely simular must be total garbage and totally lacking originality.

Don't look at me - I'm not the one who makes the internet rules.

Geta-Ve
07-27-2006, 03:40 AM
No. no. no. You are obviously not into the spirit of internet debates. It's is impossible to like more than one thing at a time ! If one thing is great, then all others even remotely simular must be total garbage and totally lacking originality.

Don't look at me - I'm not the one who makes the internet rules.

Oh snap! I forgot. **** Afro Samurai! It blows hard. . . Chunks. . .of, um .. corn?

madgodz
07-27-2006, 04:24 AM
If one thing is great, then all others even remotely simular must be total garbage and totally lacking originality.

heh pretty funny...

but i do think there is a distinguishing difference between garbage and tired themes. ghetto samurais are tired imho...

agreed with champloo comments above. they nailed the formula.

Geta-Ve
07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I dunno about tired themes.. I personally have only (if I can recall correctly) seen one "ghetto"/afro/etc type samurai..

P_T
07-27-2006, 11:07 AM
The headband says "No. 2". LOL :D

JimiPhoenix
07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow...that was not off the hook. It goes back to the difference between style and content, but that last couple of seconds really threw me. Don't get me wrong: I'm a big SLJ fan...but that was just wrong. Plus the character didn't really seem synched to the voice. Disappointed, but I may end up liking the finished product.

EDIT: Three 'but's in one paragraph, hehe.

ParamountCell
08-03-2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.afrosamurai.com/ they have the trailer on the site now.

tarun_don
08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
That was the crappiest trailer I've ever seen..

moujot
08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
That was the crappiest trailer I've ever seen..

Am i out of my mind or what ? I actually liked that trailer pretty much.. design and animation remind me of Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter.. the trailer might not be top notch in every aspect, but it looked good enough for me. This seems like it could be a good flick.

mouj

tarun_don
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, for start, Everybody makes a single man standing inbetween a crowd and then cut to the sword and then make him cut through all the crowd. I need a hook, I need something that tells me it is a story. The ending was not just badly acted and animated but also broke all the intensity that the rest of trailer created..bad switch, i'd call it. I am never sold on cuts of a blade cutting through people with a very sexy music (Quentin Tarantino), nothing new and nothing too difficult to do. But maybe people who like anime are used to the method they applied, I don't like a lot of anime, but that is me.

opus13
08-12-2006, 07:16 AM
im surprised at many things.

1. the reuse of so many elements. its like an exercise to see how little you can do to actually produce "finished" animation.

2. the lowered frame rate (directly tied to #1)

3. the ridiculously bad voice recording quality

4. the lack of focus and direction of the entire piece. there's a plot? i saw the word "revenge", yet nothing leads me to believe that the 'samurai'm is even interested.

5. the resounding lack of dynamicism in the lighting

6. the bad neo-starwars font

7. the lack of audio synch in the voice+animation

8. the generic music juxtaposed against amateur editing

remind me not to give these people any money. then again, nah... i dont see how i could forget something this bad.

thoughtlesswhisper
08-12-2006, 02:39 PM
i thought the look and style of the trailer was very kick ass cool.

the way the shot of the samurai sword handle was lined up was a beutiful shot. the sword appears to have so much weight to it, and the persepective used even takes into account the style of the movie by having an exagerated curve on the sword.

im not a big fan of this blaxploitation thing juxtapositioned with the honourable samurai theme. it seems quite contradictory, but i think the style of the movie is spot on. the bad dubbing and low frame rate im SURE, is a style choice. i personally think all the animation was brilliant. even down to the blowing of the bandana in the wind.

im surprised that so many poele on a cg forum would b discrediting the quality of this work, but then im not sure if it is the cg fans talking now or wether it is the samurai comic book fans.

either way id enjoy seeing this movie as i love the style and it appears to be well done..

PS///

i dont usually change my backgrounds for anything, but those afro samurai pictures have now taken presidence on the dual screens.

slaughters
08-13-2006, 01:16 PM
im surprised at many things.

1. the reuse of so many elements. its like an exercise to see how little you can do to actually produce "finished" animation.

2. the lowered frame rate (directly tied to #1)

3. the ridiculously bad voice recording quality

4. the lack of focus and direction of the entire piece. there's a plot? i saw the word "revenge", yet nothing leads me to believe that the 'samurai'm is even interested.

5. the resounding lack of dynamicism in the lighting

6. the bad neo-starwars font

7. the lack of audio synch in the voice+animation

8. the generic music juxtaposed against amateur editing
...And so now 98% of all Anime has been described :)

SkullboX
08-13-2006, 01:42 PM
I think it's a shame they chose to put such an insane amount of detail in the characters. Sure you'll see a high quality fast paced beautifully animated first episode, but no way they can keep up both fluent, kickass looking animation as well as the level of detail.

randomsheep
08-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Ohhhh I like! need to see it.. Music by the RZA = :) :) :) :D :D :)

siouxfire
01-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Just a reminder that Afro Samurai is now online HERE (http://www.spiketv.com/#shows/afrosamurai/index.jhtml)

SirRon
01-01-2007, 09:07 AM
i thought the look and style of the trailer was very kick ass cool.

the way the shot of the samurai sword handle was lined up was a beutiful shot. the sword appears to have so much weight to it, and the persepective used even takes into account the style of the movie by having an exagerated curve on the sword.

im not a big fan of this blaxploitation thing juxtapositioned with the honourable samurai theme. it seems quite contradictory, but i think the style of the movie is spot on. the bad dubbing and low frame rate im SURE, is a style choice. i personally think all the animation was brilliant. even down to the blowing of the bandana in the wind.

im surprised that so many poele on a cg forum would b discrediting the quality of this work, but then im not sure if it is the cg fans talking now or wether it is the samurai comic book fans.

either way id enjoy seeing this movie as i love the style and it appears to be well done..

PS///

i dont usually change my backgrounds for anything, but those afro samurai pictures have now taken presidence on the dual screens.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Saw the first episode and loved it. Kinda surprised about the not-so-supportive comments coming into this too. The only thing I don't like about the animation is the long held frames of Ninja Ninja (not a fan of his name and the stereotypical character either). I probably wouldn't mind so much if the cloth was so animated, freezes, then animates again.

I guess it could be a "love it or hate it" type show.

*also changes wallpaper to Afro Samurai*

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2007, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.