PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or I have been tricked?

Stillwell
01-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I think I was tricked by a wicked salesperson.

When I called and I told him I wanted to buy a new computer for my 3d, and then telling him that maybe a AMD Ahtlon XP for this was the best solution, he almost jumped on the occasion and said: No, go on a P4! That's what you need.

He started telling me how he did a 3d labyrinth, and how it took him 26 hours to do it, and blabla on a 450...

But I know that a P4 is more expensive than a AMD Ahtlon, so was I tricked?

He also said that "I shouldn't be afraid of spending for a comp".

I then said ok, if I go with a P4, what type of motherboard is good? He said Asus. I knew it was a good type, but I asked him how much expansion slots it had, and he said 6!!!

So basically, I would like to know I was tricked when he said I'd need a P4; that I'd need an Asus; and is these expansion slots for the RAM, or for PCI devices? Because I would like 3 or more expansion slots for RAM.

Thank you alot!

GregHess
01-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Start over from the begining.

1) Sales people tend to lie...especially if a commision is involved.

2) Whats your budget?

3) What will you be doing with the machine?

Athlon systems are on par, if not faster then their P4 counterparts...as P4 systems are on par, if not faster then their Athlon counterparts.

Stillwell
01-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Thank you for your reply!

1-) My budget is of 1300$ Canadian. I think i can achieve it, if I'm concentrating on the mother board, the processor, the ram and the video card.

2-) I will be doing 3d with my stuff.

And sorry if I don't understand your last sentence, english is not my mother-tongue... Could you explain it?

Thanks!

MadMax
01-20-2003, 11:38 PM
I would recommend the following:

AMD XP2600+ 333 fsb
Asus A7N8X nForce2 motherboard
Corsair PC3200 ram (2 sticks)

one of the nicest and fastest 3D platforms you'll hope to find.

And yes, I think you were lied to. AMD has a higher IPC (Instructions per cycle) that the P4 has.

Intel went for flat out clock speed at the expense of solid performance.

Considering the minimal differences in render results between the 2, the Athlon is a far more attractive deal especially for the cost.

elvis
01-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Madmax (and other nforce2 fans) should check out Epox's new 8RDA+ nforce2 board. this board is ripping up the current abit, asus and gigabyte boards in the benchmarks, and is pretty affordable to boot. it offers great overclockability too. (some people are hitting 240FSB (480FSB effective) speeds on air cooling!)

i think it'll be making an appearance in my next home system come march.

MadMax
01-21-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by elvis
Madmax (and other nforce2 fans) should check out Epox's new 8RDA+ nforce2 board. this board is ripping up the current abit, asus and gigabyte boards in the benchmarks, and is pretty affordable to boot. it offers great overclockability too. (some people are hitting 240FSB (480FSB effective) speeds on air cooling!)

i think it'll be making an appearance in my next home system come march.

However there seems to be some stability issues with the 8RDA+ v1 boards. Enough so that Epox is preparing a version 2 motherboard coming out.

elvis
01-21-2003, 04:37 AM
from what i understand the new BIOS released in the last few days has cleared up all of the stability issues people have been having.

and it's also worth mentioning also that the stability issues that most had were quite rare, and mostly apparent in overclocked systems.

the success stories on the overclockers australia forums are enough of an indication for me that this is a worthy purchase. (and yes, those guys post failures as well as successes).

MadMax
01-21-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by elvis
from what i understand the new BIOS released in the last few days has cleared up all of the stability issues people have been having.

and it's also worth mentioning also that the stability issues that most had were quite rare, and mostly apparent in overclocked systems.

Any idea what's up with Epox releasing a v2 board? While I have no doubt that current releases fixed some of the issues, I have to wonder what is different in the v2 board, if much at all.

Of course it could easily be unrelated to any problems.

elvis
01-21-2003, 05:54 AM
i've heard there was a phsyical issue with long video cards (like the geforce4 ti4600 128MB cards) touching the DDR ram slot "locks", so there's been some physical rearrangement of the boards for the new release.

no doubt they'd be adding various things for extra stability.

there are plenty of people who have had success with these systems after voltage mods to the DDR RAM, which wasn't a feature on the first board as far as i understand. these volt-mods weren't too crazy either (0.1 to 0.2V up at most). perhaps they might add more overclocker-friendly mods to the board and BIOS for the next release?

i've always been a die-hard abit fan in teh past, but it seems Epox have overtaken them a little recently. abit lately seem to be the first kid on the block with new hardware, while everyone else sits back and waits to release a quality board. i know the 8RDA+ with barton combo has got me drooling at the moment. :)

Sieb
01-21-2003, 09:10 AM
AMD and Pentium systems perform pretty much on par with each other. This excludes the 3.06GHz HT since there's alot required to take advantage of its potential since its so new, and expensive. It used to be that Athlons had more FPUs, (Floating Point Units) than Pentiums. The more FPUs, the more mathmatical calculations per cycle, which is all your doing in 3d as opposed to just instructions. It may not be the case anymore but, food for thought.

Athlon 2600+, Asus or Epox nforce board (I have been moving away from abit, but I am a big fan of MSI), 2700(333MHz) or 3200(400MHz) DDR. Gigabyte also has a decent nforce2 board as well, but I have only installed a couple. Nforce boards are a little more optimized than regular motherboards but with KT400 boards out now, Nforce2 and KT400s are neck and neck. For the same price, you can get an MSI KT4 Ultra board with nice features, which makes for a few different varients.

Sounds like you got stuck with the typical salesman.. I can see why they talk Pentiums given their asking price for the P4... owch.. Definitely stick with AMD, you get way more bang for your buck. Lay out the specs you want, and stick with them. Don't let the salesman talk any smack. If he pushes you too much, just tell him your fed up with him and that your going to get a mac instead... hehe, that shuts them up real quick.. :)

David Watters
01-21-2003, 09:47 AM

Sieb
01-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Yea, Via is always an issue, but I found that it usually happens on boards w/o build on sound. My abit was like that and had the infamous issues with SB Live cards, I hear Audigy has the same issues on some boards. Then again, Abit always tries to put 4 dim slots on their boards which causes some issues. But so far I haven't had any issues with my MSI KT3Utra. But I agree. Nforce and Intel boards are very appealing because of this.

Stillwell
01-22-2003, 12:08 AM
God, I don't know how much I can thank you!

:bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.