PDA

View Full Version : Does PS suport Targa files ?

adri80386
01-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi, I need help !!

Hystoricaly Adobe never had recognized Targa as an stablished standard, but finally at version 7.0, looks like Targa files can not be handled anymore in PS.

Can anybody showme how can you do the following in PS:

1. Open a 24 bit image on PS
2. Add an alpha channel with any image on it
3. Save all this as 32 bit Targa file ( RLE or not ) and get the alpha in the file !!

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

adri

:thumbsdow

Luddy
01-21-2003, 04:13 AM
I still use Photoshop 5.5, I don't care for the new interface in 6 or 7. PS 5.5 can open targas are you saying 7.0 can't? Thats odd? To add an alpha hit F7 to open the layers window and then click the channels tab. Click the "create new channel" button at the bottom of the window. It will create a black alpha channel that you can paste an alpha into or paint on. Then save a copy, targa, save as a 16, 24, or 32 bit Targas.

If you're trying to get the alpha to mask the image in Photoshop. Select the whole alpha layer (turn off RGB channels) and cntl copy. Then duplicate the Base layer and add a layer mask, then hit the channels tab and turn on just the copy masked layer (not the alpha) and paste the alpha in. You can delete the alpha layer and the original base layer, then remove the layer mask but apply the layer mask before removing it. :hmm:

Gemini
01-21-2003, 05:02 PM
photoshop 7 definetly can open targas as that is what i primarily use, both targas and PS7 . they are opened like anyother sort of image. i am not sure why that wouldn't work for you

just a comment on the previous reply, i believe that only 32-bit support alpha channels and 16 and 24 do not. that may be mistaken but that is what i think.

As far as creating those alpha channels, all that i do is create a layer and add a vector mask(located at the bottom of the layer editor. you paint you selection(though you won't see it unless you turn on the added channel) and then you just save it as a 32-bit targa. anyway, i hope that all my info is correct and helpful.
good luck!!!!!

HarlequiN
01-21-2003, 06:25 PM
1) Just open it, a 24 TGA is a recognised file format, and should open just fine since it has no alpha channel.

2) To add an alpha channel, click on the channels palette tab and click the new channel icon at the bottom. Do whatever you want to this in order to get your rquired image on it. It should have similar limitations as a greyscale image layer.

3) Ah, the tricky bit. Adobe *changed the standard in PS7 (apparently they more closely adhered to the standard than before, but of course after 4 versions of being in photoshop with people using it for games and video and so forth, this actually caused more problems than it solved). Thankfully so many people gave them a good telling off that they reinstated the old standard in the 7.1 patch, which you can just download from Adobe's site.

Once you have that installed you just go to save as, make sure the save alpha channels tag is checked and also make sure you select 32bit when you click save. Simple really.

Most of steps one and two will probably have more details on them in photoshop's help files. You can reach those by just pressing F1 I do believe.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.