PDA

View Full Version : Help on bump/displacement uber detail

Anti-Distinctlyminty
07-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I was lurking through the cgtalk gallery and came across this lovely image:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=353291

I'm doing a similar at the moment, (just no where near as good). I'm concerned with the pavement area at the front, close to the camera. The detail is exquisite, but having looked at the wireframe, it all seems flat in that area.
My question is, does anyonw know how to go about creating this kind of detail? My bump maps allways seem quite 'smooth' looking and lacking in detail, no matter how detailed or high res they actually are.
Was the image above done with displacement maps or is theres some other groovy method that people know of? I can't imagine getting that level of detail looking that good.

Thanks for any replies

angel
07-25-2006, 10:39 AM
If you have 9, use a subdivided mesh and set the render subpatch at "Per Polygon level" click on teh T and set up a gradient referenced to a null with the appropiate input parameter. Setup your displacement like usual. This will add more subdivision to the mesh right where you need it and incrementaly less detail where is not needed.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.