PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Objects Combiner Plugin Idea

soccerrprp
07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm back on this again. I'm in the habit (due to the fact that I am not a good enough modeler and it takes me a little longer to get what I want) of making each part of my character separately and then grouping as I rig. The thing is that I would love is to connect all of these parts as though it were a single mesh. That is, with not residual points, etc. within other separate parts of connected meshes.

The boolean method creates triangulation at the seam and the welding approach can be tedious and time-consuming.

Surely a plugin can be made that:

1. After select 2 or more separate objects (after being placed in desired positions) can be connected,
2. at the intersection of the separate meshes, additional or fewer points are created to make a complete closed seam, and
3. whatever unnecessary or internal points are deleted.

Would this be a desireable plugin/feature? Is it doable?:shrug: In a Maya tut, i saw the modeler do something like this with just a few clicks of the button w/o the sluggishness of a boolean function.

I think the key would be able to design something that optimizes the number of points needed to create the seam w/o or with limited number of triangulations occuring. The great thing is that regardless of the point count difference in the objects, the plugin optimizes to create the best-fit seam.

Anyone? I wish I had the time to get into plugin design...:)

Related thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3732774#post3732774

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.