PDA

View Full Version : AMD has Bought ATI

Apoclypse
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqbjT1kXD7Y8&refer=home

AMD has bought graphics chip manufaturer ATI.

May the winged pigs take off.

DMJ
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Cnet (http://news.com.com/The+one-chip+computer+at+the+heart+of+AMD-ATI+deal/2100-1006_3-6097701.html?tag=nefd.lede) seems to confirm the purchace.
I wonder who is going to benefit from this, and i hope it will be the customer. (Better graphics in laptops?)

zzacmann
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
So does this mean that all mobos with onboard video for AMD processors will now have to have ATI graphics chipsets?

JDex
07-24-2006, 09:46 PM
I think that will be the case... I also believe that this will end ATI chipsets on Intel boards and ATI availability for Macs.

In the long run I think this move will make less competition in the GFXcard market and affect keep prices higher.

Fredl
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
From the press release:

"AMD sees the merger as a way to offer integrated products for the mobile computing and consumer electronics markets"

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/24/amdati/index.php

Thalaxis
07-24-2006, 10:17 PM
HOPEFULLY, this will lead to more platform offerings from AMD -- so if the merger goes well, in theory we should see AMD providing something more analagous to Centrino, rather than trying to certify a 3rd party chipset with one of their processors and calling it a platform. It's not like it makes that much of a difference technically, but an all-in-one solution from a single vendor makes it easier to sell.

AMD might also use ATI's stuff to fill unused fab space, which is also a win-win -- it puts ATI's designs on higher-tech processes, and it allows AMD to keep fab utilization higher.

What will actually happen we'll have to see when it does.

private
07-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Better driver support and increased capacity = a win for AMD.

Anything else = AMD losing a lot of money and market share because of this huge financial gamble.

Lone Deranger
07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
On the flip side, let's hope this means more nVidia choices for the intel Macs... :D

I think that will be the case... I also believe that this will end ATI chipsets on Intel boards and ATI availability for Macs.

Apoclypse
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
i'm not sure what to think yet. We knew it was coming cause there were rumors abound, but this is something taht could be very good or very bad.

MaDSheeP
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm an Nvidia and AMD Fanboy...

Noooooo...

Fredl
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
AMD suggested that "non-general purpose" processing units such as GPUs would be integrated into computing platforms much like the floating point co-processor had disappeared over the past ten to fifteen years."
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33230

"It's clear that the processor is the black hole, and that all silicon is going to fall into it at some point. Integration is inevitable, in our business."

"All the other chips are gonna disappear at some point, and all that's left is the big chip, with the processor in the middle. You have to own that processor technology, or it won't be your chip."

"Those who can do a processor can control their system destiny, and those who don't will end up totally at the mercy of other people, who can shut them out of business right away"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/24/amd_etc/

(That doesn't sound too good for Nvidia)

richcz3
07-24-2006, 11:31 PM
I think this is bad for for the consumer in the long term. The costs on consumer and pro 3d cards will most likely rise. Maybe AMD and ATI are doing this seeing some intel/Mac/nVidia alignments.

Hmmm what does this do to my AMD nForce 2 and 3 Motherboard driver updates?

Nightez
07-25-2006, 12:40 AM
What does this mean for Microsoft and Nintendo? Post 2008 will they still be able to get an ATI GPU without having to use an AMD procesor?

Tarrbot
07-25-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm not a fan of ATI but I will tell you this. ATI has consistently for the past decade held a significant part of several markets. You can't say that about any chip maker other than Intel.

An additional insight is that AMD has shown consistently for the past 6 years that it can compete with Intel, oftentimes punching Intel in the face.

With ATI being purchased, this will allow AMD to compete on another battlefield... one which ATI has been losing ground to Intel in--integrated graphics. With AMD pushing ATI, Intel may have something to fear in its integrated graphics division.

ATI also has a piece of the portable marketplace. With the increase in portable devices, AMDATI (yeah, AM-Da-TEE :thumbsup: ) could very well position itself to flank Intel in other ways that the suits in Santa Clara didn't think of.

As some here have said, this may mean higher prices all around in the 3D market, but then again it may mean that the mean level of PC out there will rise which will then spur on the 3D market to have bigger and better devices.

I see this as very bad news for Intel in the long run and only good news for AMD. Go AMD. Make the transistors sing for all they're worth.

Thalaxis
07-25-2006, 03:27 AM
With ATI being purchased, this will allow AMD to compete on another battlefield... one which ATI has been losing ground to Intel in--integrated graphics. With AMD pushing ATI, Intel may have something to fear in its integrated graphics division.

That might prompt Intel to team up with nVidia in a similar fashion. It's not like Intel's graphics technology is competitive or something, it's only the dominant graphics chip family out there because it's an Intel product that's integrated with other Intel products, not due to technical merit of any sort.

I see this as very bad news for Intel in the long run and only good news for AMD. Go AMD. Make the transistors sing for all they're worth.

It could also backfire though. I hope it works out well.

LiquidMetal
07-25-2006, 04:27 AM
That might prompt Intel to team up with nVidia in a similar fashion. It's not like Intel's graphics technology is competitive or something, it's only the dominant graphics chip family out there because it's an Intel product that's integrated with other Intel products, not due to technical merit of any sort.

It could also backfire though. I hope it works out well.

I have never been a fan of Intel,but after hearing all the good news from Apple's Mac line,having NVidia inside a 17" Macbook Pro would be awesome.

cpan
07-25-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm an Nvidia and AMD Fanboy...

Noooooo...

relax, NV will continue to work with AMD as before.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/24/amd_not_another_intel/

eek
07-25-2006, 07:19 AM
PRESS STATEMENT FROM AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~110899,00.html

TumikSmacker
07-25-2006, 07:24 AM
What does this mean for us Maya users? ATI sucks with Maya. NO AMD Nvidias? :O

tozz
07-25-2006, 09:56 AM
This will hopefully lead to some very interesting stuff for the K8L platform. A GPU working as close to the CPU as possible.
Lets just hope AMD fires everyone even remotely close to the ATI driver team to the moon, cause that part has to get fixed, quickly.
Another awesome thing would be AMD starting to produce chipsets again, anyone remember the 761? :)

I hardly think NVIDIA will abandon AMD, just look on how many gamers there is out there using AMD and buying high end expensive cards, would be kind of stupid to ignore them?

mlanser
07-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I think this isn't good News for nvidia. Even though the ship 90% of chipsets for AMD computers. But something is definitely about to change.

Funny thought: Seems to be like ATI is the Winner in this Acquisition! :D

almux
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
This will hopefully lead to some very interesting stuff for the K8L platform. A GPU working as close to the CPU as possible.

Very close to the classical SGI principle?

AMD made a good move, here.
I don't think ATI's cards will disapear from the market. AMD will yet have to make money with selling some of theese.
Yet, Intel has stoped it's deal with ATI... some other way out wil probably take place within weeks...

mustique
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
AMD didn't buy ATI to build kickass graphic cards but to compete with Intel based mobile platforms and to make its HTX socket an open industry standard for 3rd parties. That's clear.

AMD could build a socket type GPU to pave the way for others like nVidia (to follow)
But they'd better leave the enthusiast gamer and pro market to nVidia
and better not compete with others too if they want to succeed.

To make HTX the industry standard, AMD could even 'build' chips for nVidia and other 3rd parties (and become the next IBM). Intel would have no choice then but following AMD,
just as they did with the X86-64 architecture.

yhloon
07-25-2006, 03:45 PM
what i worry most is - will current nForce AM2 Mother board going to support K8L in the future?... else i'll go for Core 2 instead

tozz
07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
what i worry most is - will current nForce AM2 Mother board going to support K8L in the future?... else i'll go for Core 2 instead
AM2 will not support K8L, it's an entirely new platform from the ground up.

FloydBishop
07-25-2006, 07:51 PM
They should combine and reorder the letters in the company names.

I suggest calling the new company DAAMIT.

cpan
07-26-2006, 06:16 AM
AM2 will not support K8L, it's an entirely new platform from the ground up.]

AM2 is forward compatible with K8L, just that it won't support DDR3, but only DDR2. This was confirmed by Hector Ruiz if i remember right.

ndat
07-26-2006, 06:23 AM
They should combine and reorder the letters in the company names.

I suggest calling the new company DAAMIT.

HAHA, I second that!

tozz
07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
]

AM2 is forward compatible with K8L, just that it won't support DDR3, but only DDR2. This was confirmed by Hector Ruiz if i remember right.
Ok, my bad, AMD might do them socket compatible.
But there's no Torrenza, HT3 and probably no Quad Core support so I have no idea why anyone would stick a shiny new K8L in a AM2 board :)

cpan
07-26-2006, 09:27 AM
no, AM2 will support Quad-Core, both Brisbane QC (at the end of 2006, just a 65nm shrink of the current K8) and K8L QC (demo-ed at the end of 2006, mass production 4-6 months later). The only thing is that it will run on the older HT, it won't have Torrenza and neither DDR3 support (all speculation ofc). But even wo these, the AM2 K8L will rock badly, and the AM3 coupled with PhysX HTX and maybe a rendering accelerator on HTX will rock even more ;)

tozz
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
no, AM2 will support Quad-Core, both Brisbane QC (at the end of 2006, just a 65nm shrink of the current K8) and K8L QC (demo-ed at the end of 2006, mass production 4-6 months later). The only thing is that it will run on the older HT, it won't have Torrenza and neither DDR3 support (all speculation ofc). But even wo these, the AM2 K8L will rock badly, and the AM3 coupled with PhysX HTX and maybe a rendering accelerator on HTX will rock even more ;)
Do you have anything official on that, cause I've only seen statements on the contrary.

cpan
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Take a look at the AMD Analist Day slide from June, it shows there the most recent AMD "roadmap".

aswell
http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3169 (AM3 CPUs work on AM2 platform)
http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3448 (Native Quad K8L demoed this year)

and there were more links but can't find them anymore lolz :)

tozz
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that was nothing like what I asked for :)

Do you have any official document from AMD saying that Quad Core will work on AM2, as you said it would, cause that's the interesting part :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.