PDA

View Full Version : DS Sells 20 million, 17 million More by March 2007

RobertoOrtiz
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
QUOTE:
"Nintendo announced today that sales of its hand-held, dual-screened video game player, the Nintendo DS, have topped 20 million worldwide (guesstimates say 21,270,000).
Nintendo has been selling the DS since November 2004 and rolled out the DS Lite in March this year, which is a smaller unit with a brighter display and prints money. Ok so that last feature is a joke, but then again Nintendo does expect DS (Lite) sales to be 17 million between April 2006 and March 2007. Here’s the financial report:"

>>link<< (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/07/24/nintendo-ds-sales-hit-20-million-profit-forecast-says-17-million-more-by-march-2007.htm)

-R

CelticArtist
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm buying mine on friday! yee haw

zzacmann
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM
In similar news, Sony has released a new firmware update for their PSP handheld. The upgrade, downloadable from Sony.com, vastly improves the gaming unit's dust-collecting functionality.

Quote from one PSP owner: "My PSP used to sit in the corner and gather dust. I upgraded the firmware last night and now there's cob-webs! Awesome!"

eek
07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
I got a ds lite recently, its absolutely gorgous peice of kit. Im a stickler for nintendogs and mariokart, may well pick up animal crossing and brain age this weekend.

Tlock
07-24-2006, 06:06 PM
i wouldn't have said anything but zzacmann you forced me. I absolutely love my PSP, and i use it all the time, so no dust on mine. Every review i have read said that the PSP is better than the DS in virtually every aspect except price. That being said i don't think the PSP and DS are direct competition to each other since they are focused on different market shares similiar to the Game Cube and PS2.

In 2005 the PSP hit over 10 million (http://www.xgpgaming.com/news/news.php?id=1948).

deadplant155
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
i wouldn't have said anything but zzacmann you forced me. I absolutely love my PSP, and i use it all the time, so no dust on mine. Every review i have read said that the PSP is better than the DS in virtually every aspect except price. That being said i don't think the PSP and DS are direct competition to each other since they are focused on different market shares similiar to the Game Cube and PS2.

In 2005 the PSP hit over 10 million (http://www.xgpgaming.com/news/news.php?id=1948).
what games do you play on it, ports from ps1 or clones from the ds? (see: field commander, clone of advance wars). lumines is the only worthwhile game on the psp, and as far as graphics go, it could be played on a gameboy advance. the psp is a heap :)

have a nice day.

Gräck
07-24-2006, 07:25 PM
what games do you play on it, ports from ps1 or clones from the ds?
Oh, I think the PSP-guys would already be happy if they had just a few DS clones! ;)

I already have a DS Lite and it's a real cool piece of kit. A lot PS fanboys tend to insult Nintendo as being a kiddy-game-producing company, though the DS Lite with its pen and the new design looks much more mature in your hands than the fat-screen freaky PSP.

I think Nintendo has the right concept. Simply by using only one hand to play a game looks much more intelligent than a weird controller with both hands on it, freakingly focused to the game and unable to do anything except gaming. Nintendo will add a lot of interest to video gaming in general, that's for sure.

Tlock
07-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Not sure where this PSP hostilities is caming from considering i never insulted the DS! IMHO i prefer the PSP over the DS. I play Xmen, Splinter Cell, SIMS, MLB, and PQ. I don't think a single one of those games are on the DS. Not to mention the DS 3D capabilities LIKE IT or NOT is not has good as the PSP. The screen quality is NOT as good as the PSP.

I play games on the PSP, watch movies and tv shows, and listen to music. Oh ya if i have a demo video i want to show ppl the PSP is perfect for that, last year at siggraph i must have seen hundreds of them. Overall though i am a Nintendo fan and never have owned a PS.

Gräck
07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
It was not meant to be an insult! The fact is that the PSP is a product for freaks, like the PS3 will be, too. Very advanced technology, very expensive and just very exaggerated.

Just want to find out the reason for the big success of the DS. And it seems the people like the idea of the simple gaming with the ability to advance to the freaky games (DS: pen+pad; Wii: remote+nunchak).

Kaostick
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Honestly, I play my DS a lot more then my PSP for one reason. It is a lot more portable. When I want to take it somewhere, I fold it up, and stick it in my pocket. I just don't wanna risk scratching the screen on my PSP, and I certainly don't want to drop it with all its moving parts.

Kaostick
07-24-2006, 08:14 PM
The screen quality is NOT as good as the PSP.

I want disagree with you there. The PSP screen is ceratinly higher res, but to get it as bright as possible, it has to be plugged in to the wall, and it suffers from some pretty bad ghosting, especially when the system is cold. I guess I will do a side by side when I get home. Too bad I don't have an original DS to compare as well.

zzacmann
07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Didn't mean to start a PSP vs. DS war here. I own both and both have their obvious advantages. Although my PSP IS collecting dust in the corner, I meant it as a joke.

I keep seeing thread after thread, article after article about the DS Lite, Brain Age, and DS sales and, maybe Im just looking in the wrong places, but I just don't see the same kind of interest or enthusiasm in the PSP anymore.

I didnt mean collecting dust as in its not any good. I meant it as in there doesnt seem to be any big new developments going on with it recently, although Im sure Im going to be baraged with numerous E3 articles to prove otherwise.

Kaostick
07-24-2006, 09:23 PM
I meant it as in there doesnt seem to be any big new developments going on with it recently, although Im sure Im going to be baraged with numerous E3 articles to prove otherwise.

I was under the impression the PSP didn't have much of a showing at E3.. There is supposed to be a USB camera for it sometime in the future, and a GPS attachment, but those rumors have been around as long as the PSP itself. Personally, I wish Sony would do something for the PSP kind of like the XBOX Live Arcade. Mini game downloads at a small fee, and free demos. More then just LocoRoco anywase. :hmm:

hiphopcr
07-24-2006, 09:36 PM
I love what Nintendo has done. I remember reading about the DS and PSP when they launched... I thought the DS was butt ugly and thought that Nintendo had lost it's mind. Early reviews weren't too flattering either. The PSP was sleek, sexy, and powerful. The DS was clunkly, weird, and even gimmicky.

A year and a half later I don't think anyone could have predicted what would happen. I don't think the DS has blown the PSP out of the water in hardware sales, but I believe that it's sold twice as much software. I read on DSrevolution.com that there are 14 platinum selling games (1 million) for the DS and only 3 for the PSP.

The PSP is more powerful, for sure, it's like comparing a PS2 to a N64, but the DS has me excited about gaming like I haven't been since I was a kid... and you gotta love the price. Looking forward to the Wii :)

eek
07-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Another reason I love it so:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/02/15/opera-ds-browser-confirmed/

http://my.opera.com/DotEd/albums/show.dml?id=89050

Bonedaddy
07-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Does the PSP have a game where I can play as a squadron of male cheerleaders? How about one where I play an up-and-coming lawyer? A trauma surgeon?

Pshaw!

/only likes weird games
//does really want to play roco loco though
///and talkman is pretty sweet too

Digit
07-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Does the PSP have a game where I can play as a squadron of male cheerleaders? How about one where I play an up-and-coming lawyer? A trauma surgeon?

Speaking of which, is it actually possible to get Phoenix Wright in the US? It seems to be out in September but Im sure it was released once already? Are they just re-releasing it or what?

Hawke
07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I bought my 1st handheld since the Sega Gamegear last weekend - after trying both the DS and the PSP I went for the PSP, sorry but the screen is far far (far) superior - I luv it :) I even bought a UMD movie for it (*gasp) - but it was on sale cheap so don't judge me ;)

I also luv the way these threads always degenerate into some kind of holy war between fans of whichever machine. Last I checked the DS was storming ahead in Japan (known for their love of quirky games) but its pretty much a draw between the two machines everywhere else in the world. They both have their pros and cons and they both have a decent selection of games - it comes down to what you personally want out of the machine. I didn't see a single game on the DS that appealed to me personally but after watching Wipeout on the PSP my credit card was out like a shot ^.^

secretasianman
07-24-2006, 11:27 PM
In similar news, Sony has released a new firmware update for their PSP handheld. The upgrade, downloadable from Sony.com, vastly improves the gaming unit's dust-collecting functionality.

Quote from one PSP owner: "My PSP used to sit in the corner and gather dust. I upgraded the firmware last night and now there's cob-webs! Awesome!"

yea saw that quote over at ps updates, well to bad that place is nothing but a bunch of immature little children.

as is systems go with what a person likes so i don't see why people bash it, especially here where this place should see potential for both systems.

both systems are not bad just the psp has more for me. i had a ds, but none of the games really appealed to me. plus kinda unconventional for trying to be somewhere and play. a stylus pen is not the best thing when trying to be mobile.

and who says that all games for the psp are ports? there are alot of games that are not ports and alot coming that are very original.

hard to say the psp has nothing but ports and redone games when you look at the slew of ports and redone games for the ds

and advance wars is not a clone of other games of the same genra? you got to be kidding.

Larry_g1s
07-25-2006, 12:04 AM
http://my.opera.com/DotEd/homes/albums/89050/dsprintsmoney_small.jpg This image cracked me up! :applause:

Array
07-25-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm very satisfied with my DS Lite. I bought it about 2-3 weeks ago along with Mario64 and the New Super Mario Brothers. Both are great...though the New Mario Bros. was a bit short for my liking.

Up next: Final Fantasy 3 :)

hiphopcr
07-25-2006, 12:50 AM
...though the New Mario Bros. was a bit short for my liking.
But have you found all the coins and beat my score of 86 in wack-a-mole? :)

zzacmann
07-25-2006, 12:50 AM
yea saw that quote over at ps updates,
Holy Shit! Ps Updates must have a direct feed from my brain!

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Damm
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
But have you found all the coins and beat my score of 86 in wack-a-mole? :)

Haven't found all the coins just yet. Meenwhile, 93 is the new record :D

I have to say that the partygames in NSM is worth the game alone. I play it with my friends all the time!!

hiphopcr
07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Haven't found all the coins just yet. Meenwhile, 93 is the new record :D
93? You're a freak of nature :)

madheavy
07-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Nintendo...oh my first love! How I spurned you for a sexier, sleeker, more worldly machine...but now I wish that things could be different...

Yes, own a PSP. I love it! I carefully weighed the options and went with PSP because I can MP3, M4V, UMD, TCP, JPG, and FPS. I use it everyday on the morning commute. Favorite game: EXIT!

However, I love what Nintendo is doing. Nintendo has the creativity and the guramba to be different. They do their own thing and now people with no interest in games owns a DS.
I live in Japan, and here you see DSes many times more than you see a PSP. I see at least one everyday on the train.

Games for learning languages, recipes, and math, set the DS apart.

I want to get one one day...but I have to be faithful to my PSP...even if she does lack imagination!

Long Live Nintendo!

PS: Check out loco roco for the PSP! It plays like a nintendo DS game!

heavyness
07-26-2006, 06:22 AM
2 more reasons to love the DS...

http://www.heavyness.com/blog/?p=53

http://www.heavyness.com/blog/?p=52

...that's right, i'm pimping my blog

Hawke
07-26-2006, 08:33 AM
PS: Check out loco roco for the PSP! It plays like a nintendo DS game!

Yes - I downloaded the demo of that - utterly bizarre but loads of fun lol

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2006, 08:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.