PDA

View Full Version : LCD causing slowdowns in Max?

Joel Hooks
01-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Running Max5 on a GF4 4400ti. When we added a second monitor (LCD) it caused all of the editors and windows in Max to open REALLY slow. Has anybody had a run-in with this?

Thanks!

GregHess
01-20-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm running dual lcd's on a Ti 4400 leadtek. What driver revision are you using? Are you using the advanced nview properties? What max version? 4? 4.2? 5.1?

Joel Hooks
01-20-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm running max 5.0 on a Leadtek 4400 ti also. The primary monitor is a 21" crt. I've added a 19" lcd as the secondary. I've got the latest and greatest Detonator drivers (41.09) Yes, I've had to use the advanced NView options to set up the desktop(s) the way I want.

The wierd thing is that it seems only to effect max and not my other software. Before I added the second screen, all my fly-outs, like the material editor/browser, graphs, etc., popped up normally. Now, they are not only slow to pop up, but PAINFULLY slow to refresh. Dragging a material from the browser to the editor will take 20+ seconds to fully complete.

Any ideas you might have are greatly appreciated!

GregHess
01-21-2003, 12:50 AM
Hey Joel,

I can't do any checking right now, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. We have similar setups, so I'm wondering if its just a setting somewhere thats different.

GregHess
01-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Joel,

Any chance you have a sample scene you can replicate the slowdown in? Is it just in your scenes, or in all max scenes. I'm not really seeing the slowdown over here.

The System I'm currently running....

Shuttle SS51B

2.53B Pentium IV @ 2.66B

PC3200 Corsair XMS

Leadtek Ti 4400

WD800JB

(Everything else integrated on the Shuttle board)

www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/incoming/setup.jpg

(The little box on the desk)

See if you can replicate the error with one of the max scenes that comes with 5, and I'll see if I can replicate it over here. Also try max5.1 if you have some downtime, just in case they actually fixed a software bug.

Joel Hooks
01-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, it happens with any scene I have loaded, max demo or one of my own. Having a scene loaded up, or working from a fresh reset seems to make no difference at all.
I might do the 5.1 update today and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks Greg!

GregHess
01-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Joel,

Lets do this step by step.

1) Windows 2000 with nview 2, 41.09

2) Open Max5

3) Open a Mat editor on the primary window, or secondary window. Does this happen before a scene is loaded, or after?

4) Does the slow down occur on the secondary screen, or primary screen? Are you using the advanced nview settings to force dialog boxes to open on the secondary display?

Joel Hooks
01-21-2003, 07:51 PM
1) Windows 2000 with nview 2, 41.09

- Yep, thats it.

2) Open Max5

- Ok

3) Open a Mat editor on the primary window, or secondary window. Does this happen before a scene is loaded, or after?

- Both, but seems a little bit slower if I have a scene loaded.

4) Does the slow down occur on the secondary screen, or primary screen? Are you using the advanced nview settings to force dialog boxes to open on the secondary display?

- It doesn't matter which screen I'm using.
- I'm not using that option in Nview.

TY

GregHess
01-22-2003, 12:39 PM
I tried this yesterday and forgot if I got a slowdown or not. Son of a @!%$!. I do have a Quadro 900XGL as well to test with. I'll see if it shows any slowdown in comparison to the Ti 4400.

(This is also a bump to remind myself to check it)

Joel Hooks
01-22-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't know how it happend, but here's the deal. There are a few different ways you can configure how your second screen operates as a desktop. (clone, horizontal span, vertical span, etc.) There's another mode called DualView found in the Tools section of the advanced display properties. I prefer this mode to the others because it treats your monitors as seperate desktops as opposed to stretching one screen across the second.
Here's the wierd part. Normally when Dualview mode is enabled, the other modes in Nview are all disabled. This wasn't the case on my system. Some how, maybe due to a botched Detonator install or a corrupted file perhaps, both modes were enabled simultaneously. The driver was setting up seperate desktops for each screen, while also trying to span the first screen to the second. I suspect that, although nothing was visually different with my screens, the two modes were essentially fighting over the limited video resources causing loop-back/time-out effect, introducing a helluva lot of latency in the flyout menu generation.
But, thats just my two cents worth.

Long story short..... Removed, then re-installed the detonator drivers and set up DualView again. Everything works perfect now.

I appreciate all the help Greg!
Take care.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.