PDA

View Full Version : This Thing Is Falling

Fess
07-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Hello everyone,

This is the first completed self-project I did to sharpen my skills. Nothing is tutorial based, just from my brain/inspiration. (fallingRocket)

Modeled: Maya (clouds/atmoshpere are 3 fluid containers, faking self-shadowing, rocket is smiple polysmooth geo. on path.)
Post FX: AfterEffects (added simple flares)
Audio: Done in SoundForge.

I'd appreciate your c&c's to assist my learning & improvement of this scene.

scene (9.28 mb) (http://www.mohan-conceptual.com/maya/FreeFallRocket.mov)

Thanks guys...:buttrock:
Fess

dutchtilt
07-24-2006, 03:09 AM
this is a good start---

couple comments::
-the rocket has a consistant black rim around the obj---this needs to be premultiplied to get rid of that
-cg overall might be too bright---might be accurate but we want to see "expected reality", not reality.
-there are some really bright spec hits----which implies there might be some darker values, darker shadows in the small areas...

hope this helps!

Fess
07-27-2006, 01:46 PM
dutchtilt,

Appreicate your input.
Always interesting to see through someone elses eyes... :eek:

Can you explain what "premultiplied" is?

Regards
Fess

Fess
11-28-2006, 07:51 PM
EDIT: I understand what "premultiply" is now. This is one of the interpolation setting via Render Globals>Mental Ray>Frame Buffer>Primary Frame Buffer.

The dark halo is due to the shader, not the comp.
Becasue I rendered out the entire scene as 1, not clouds/rocket/ etc.

anthonymcgrath
11-29-2006, 10:07 AM
nice little bit of work - (sounds n atmos are good too) :) maybe a bit bright as already said and the strange halo around the ship but the animation and timing is nice. like the cam motion too.

Fess
11-29-2006, 03:24 PM
anthony, thanks for the comments, nice portfolio you've got there also.

Into cars huh? I push a Acrua integra myself.

:)
Fess

anthonymcgrath
11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
cheers Fess - I think it could do with alot more work myself esp. on the animation front - trying to fix that over the next few months. got a robot/basketball sting on this thread at the mo :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.