PDA

View Full Version : Maya Roadkill LSCM/ABF uv unwrapper

uncle_frankie
07-22-2006, 06:26 PM
A colleague of mine has implemented Blender's LSCM and ABF uv texture unwrapping tools in Maya for Windows.

Dead easy to install and use. It almost makes uv mapping fun :) It's released under the GPL so your free to download and modify the source.

www.pullin-shapes.co.uk (http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk)

let us know what you think

cheers

EDIT:

Mac version now available thanks to

Juliana Yeon
julianastudio@gmail.com (julianastudio@gmail.com)

EDIT:

thanks to

boberfly@gmail.com (boberfly@gmail.com)

pleasebanme@gmail.com

we now have a version for Linux though I have no idea what distros it will work on. Boberfly has also included some help files to try and get it to compile for Macs.

cheers x 3

mech7
07-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Nice this looks allot easier then the pelting tool.. going to try this :p

lukep
07-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice.

and thanks for the attribution (though you should probably credit the original researcher too, Bruno LÚvy).

Lukep

Os X blender platform manager

uncle_frankie
07-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Nice.

and thanks for the attribution (though you should probably credit the original researcher too, Bruno LÚvy).

Lukep

Os X blender platform manager

Done. I've linked to the original publication.

eof
07-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanx, very nice stuff! :)

gunslingerblack
07-23-2006, 06:12 AM
well i gave it a try, can definitely say i didn't get the results pictured , im not too familiar with laying out uvs automatically, however, when i tried it on a full character mesh, the head kept getting super distorted while the body would be layed out in a more orderly fashion, is there any way with this system to localize what uv's are layed out, furthermore what exactly am i doing wrong that the uv's are coming out lob sided and looking just as bad as maya's native unwrap uvs?

TroutMaskReplica
07-23-2006, 07:13 AM
well i gave it a try, can definitely say i didn't get the results pictured , im not too familiar with laying out uvs automatically, however, when i tried it on a full character mesh, the head kept getting super distorted while the body would be layed out in a more orderly fashion, is there any way with this system to localize what uv's are layed out, furthermore what exactly am i doing wrong that the uv's are coming out lob sided and looking just as bad as maya's native unwrap uvs?

i'm not sure how different this implementation is from the one in blender, but in blender you use pins to stick parts of the mesh in position, then you move the pins around and the rest of the mesh follows suit.

frogspasm
07-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Any chance of getting a version compiled for 6.5? :)

~Mike D.

P_T
07-23-2006, 07:48 AM
This is great!! Just tried it on my wip model and it seems to work fine for me. Not the greatest UVmapping but that's just my mediocre skill, at least there's no major overlapping.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Phlegm_Thrower/UV.jpg
I can see it being a bit of a pain when it comes to selecting edges on a heavier mesh. Anyone got a tip for an easier way to do that?

uncle_frankie
07-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Any chance of getting a version compiled for 6.5? :)

~Mike D.

Sorry can't help you with that.

But as we provide the source code code maybe some other kind soul could compile it for different versions of Maya and for different operating systems?

I would be willing to host it.

yinako
07-23-2006, 12:58 PM
i think some people are not aware maya already has a tool like this, called unfold uv

uncle_frankie
07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I can see it being a bit of a pain when it comes to selecting edges on a heavier mesh. Anyone got a tip for an easier way to do that?

For heavy meshes you'll probably never get the seam cuts correct first time.It takes a bit of experimentation so I save my edge selections with

create -> sets -> quick selection set

and recall the edge selections with

edit -> quick selection sets

Also if my models are made up of mostly quads I use MJ Poly tools to select the edges.

There are more Blender tools that *might* be ported to help out with selection.

uncle_frankie
07-23-2006, 01:04 PM
i think some people are not aware maya already has a tool like this, called unfold uv

IMHO LSCM/ABF unwrapping produces better results and is is much easier to use than Maya's unfold uv

uncle_frankie
07-23-2006, 01:08 PM

Have a look at the Blender examples I linked to on my homepage again. At first don't try and be too clever. Define plenty of seams on complex meshes.

Practice with a cube and then a cylinder.

It will click. I promise. Or you can have your money back :thumbsup:

Lamster
07-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Dude, I can't even begin to thank you enough for putting the effort to get this sort of tool out. It's really cool :)

Terence

Zocky
07-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, tnx a lot man for this tool, it works just great!

milkchancookies
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Any chance for a Max version of this plugin?

P_T
07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
There are more Blender tools that *might* be ported to help out with selection.
Thanks for the tip frankie. That probable port of Blender tools sounds really good to me. :D

A few others things I wanna ask. Could you elaborate more on the purpose of that Pin Single Polygon? The explanation is rather vague and when I tried that option, it just put the UV I selected on the (0,0) UV coordinate but the actual UVmap of the mesh just disappeared.

Yinako, I am aware of Maya's Unfold UV tool but this script does produce better result in faster time as well as easier to use. That IMO, makes it a better tool for the job.

frogspasm
07-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Any chance for a Max version of this plugin?
http://scriptspot.com/start.asp?p=download&ID=3283

~Mike D.

brecht
07-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Nice to see Blender's unwrapper in Maya and Max, I wasn't aware of this. Too bad it doesn't seem to have live unwrap (http://orange.blender.org/blog/live-lscm-unwrap/), you'll have to download Blender for that :). If the authors of these plug-ins find bugs in the code or have questions about it, they can mail me at brechtvanlommel ~ pandora.be.

brecht
(author of the Blender unwrapper code)

yinako
07-24-2006, 07:21 AM
IMHO LSCM/ABF unwrapping produces better results and is is much easier to use than Maya's unfold uv

maybe easier to use but short on control, unfold uv has an iteration control and solver weight all to give that in between result you want, some times getting the perfect area ratio for UV isn't necessarly good for painting.

I tried this plugin its good for one button click to unfold everything, and its good more predicatable than unfold UV but its doesn't have any iteration control.

For somthing like a mouth, i may not want a perfect hole I want a in between shape between a hole and a lip.

uncle_frankie
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Could you elaborate more on the purpose of that Pin Single Polygon? .

I haven't used the 'Pin Single Polygon' in earnest and I don't have Maya in front of me at the moment....

But the idea is to orientate your uv maps either horizontally or vertically.

If the last poly you selected was taller than it's width (portrait) then it will attempt to lay out your uvs vertically.

Or the last poly you selected was wider than it's height (landscape) then it will attempt to lay out your uvs horizontally.

hope that helps

uncle_frankie
07-24-2006, 02:20 PM
unfold uv has an iteration control .

It's no use to you now but in the future this tool will support interactive iterations....

ZippZopp
07-24-2006, 08:52 PM
how about a linux version?

milkchancookies
07-25-2006, 07:02 AM
http://scriptspot.com/start.asp?p=download&ID=3283

~Mike D.

CrazyButcher's unwrapper doesn't feature ABF unfortunately, and I have tried it out with decent results. Blender's unwrapper (2.42) is amazing though, hopefully we'll see somemore of it's features in Maya/Max eventually. ;)

Excellent work Brecht!

BgDM
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
As an avid Blender user, this is a very cool thing to see.

Current release of Blender, 2.42, does have some better unwrapping options and controls over the older versions. Live transformations are also available. So hopefully, you Maya and Max guys can get that now too.

Beleive me, it is a very nice UV unwrapping tool that Blender has. Works like a charm.

BgDM

vipertatsu
07-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi,
Thanks a lot for posting this - I really like the results! However, it seems to delete
the construction history of everything in the scene when I run it. :sad:

So it's only safe to use in an isolated scene. If I use it with in a scene with a rigged
and skinned character, all skinning etc. is lost.

Any chance of a version that doesn't do this?

Thanks

Dan

uncle_frankie
07-27-2006, 05:25 PM
However, it seems to deletethe construction history of everything in the scene when I run it. :sad:

Opps we knew it deleted construction history but not for everything in the scene.

I'll have a word with andy and see if he can fix it.......

uncle_frankie
07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
how about a linux version?

Sorry can't help you (we run Windows Maya only).

You could ask some of your tools programmers? It shouldn't be to hard to compile?

BadgerSundae
08-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Chalk up another satisfied customer. Thank you to researchers, Blender and Roadkill developers who brought this tool into being.

I enjoy most of the content creation process in 3D, but UV unwrapping makes me wail and gnash my teeth. Roadkill had me grinning from ear to ear the first time I ran it.

The only real hiccup I've run into so far is speed. Unwrapping a ~25000 poly character takes around twenty minutes on my machine. Does that sound about right? Does that stem from the fact that Roadkill uses some interpreted (and not compiled) MEL script code?

Regardless, the time that Roadkill's running is time that I'm not spending manually tweaking UVs, and that's a good thing. It get's me 90% of the way to where I need to be with little fuss.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to updates.

EDIT: A quick further question regarding pinning UVs... On the Roadkill web page it says:

"If you want to pin uv's then right click on the mesh and select the uv marking menu. You can now shift select uv's."

I don't follow exactly what that means. Will the UVs I select in addition to my seam edges be the UVs that are pinned, or the UVs that will be included in the unwrapping process?

uncle_frankie
08-19-2006, 07:54 PM
The only real hiccup I've run into so far is speed. Unwrapping a ~25000 poly character takes around twenty minutes on my machine. Does that sound about right? Does that stem from the fact that Roadkill uses some interpreted (and not compiled) MEL script code?

Yes it will be slow on 'high poly' models. I'm not sure about the maths and code but I think it creates a matrix for every vtx and does some horribly complicated stuff on it. 20 minutes does seem very slow though. We're in the games industry and our individual meshes rarely are that complicated.

'Will the UVs I select in addition to my seam edges be the UVs that are pinned' - yes!

tripNfall
08-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Awesome tool. Any updates coming up?

Thanks.

Lorex
08-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Just tried it. Works a treat.
What I did is I used it on the mesh then rotated the result and started aligning some UVs to the grid ( the seam that goes down my character's back ) then I pinned these Uvs and used roadkill again as a relax tool. Did that a couple of times. Works beautifully.
Thanks a lot guys. :thumbsup:

and it's definitely a good idea to save your seams as an edge selection set...

uncle_frankie
08-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Awesome tool. Any updates coming up?Thanks.

only when Andy has some free time

capdigital
10-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Hello CGtalkers,

Does anyone know where I might download Maya Roadkill? It seems that pullin-shapes.co.uk is 'being updated' at the moment. And it's not on Highend3d.com. I knew I should have downloaded it when it was available - I just didn't have the time then.

Any info is appreciated.
Craig

BadgerSundae
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Hello CGtalkers,
Does anyone know where I might download Maya Roadkill?
Craig

I have a copy that I could host on my web site, provided that's okay with the developers. Unfortunately, I'm away on vacation at the moment and won't be able to put it up until Monday.

uncle_frankie, is it alright if I mirror Roadkill until the official site comes back online?

BadgerSundae
10-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I've decided to interpret the deafening silence as a tacit approval of my plan to mirror Roadkill on my site. Hopefully the official site will be back up shortly and obviate the need for this. uncle_frankie, please let me know if I need to take this down.

Here is Roadkill 1.0, for Maya 7.0, as I downloaded it on 2006-08-06. I've included a short Read-Me on installation and usage in the ZIP file. Hope that this helps someone. I've found Roadkill to be an invaluable tool.

Download Link: <REMOVED>

capdigital
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Thank you BaderSundae. Hopefully the authors don't mind you doing so. It is much appreciated. I was almost going to download Blender to play with their version....Now I'll just have to fire up Maya7 instead :)

BgDM
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
You may want to remove that mirror, as there seems to be some issues with the original coder of Blenders LSCM with GPL and legal issues about the plugin.

Hence why the site is currently down.

BgDM

BadgerSundae
10-26-2006, 01:24 AM
You may want to remove that mirror, as there seems to be some issues with the original coder of Blenders LSCM with GPL and legal issues about the plugin.

Hence why the site is currently down.

BgDM

Thanks for the heads-up, BgDM.

Can anyone confirm that there are legal problems surrounding Roadkill and/or Blender's LSCM implementation? I couldn't find any mention of such issues on Google. I don't want to run afoul of the GPL, engage in indirect copyright infringement, or step on anyone's toes. If I need to, I'll take down the mirror.

That being said, Roadkill's a very useful tool and isn't available anywhere else that I know of. I'm going to keep the file up for the benefit of others until I hear otherwise.

gruvsyco
10-26-2006, 01:46 AM
here is a link to the discussion about the GPL violation.

link (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73163&highlight=maya+lscm)

BadgerSundae
10-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Much obliged, gruvsyco. As was hinted at earlier, Roadkill appears to be in violation of the GPL for linking with proprietary libraries. Until such time as a new license is negotiated with the original Blender developers, it won't be distributable.

For my part, I'll no longer host Roadkill. Sorry to anyone who missed it again this time around.

steveblake
12-09-2006, 09:04 PM
..looking forward to the update on this, website (http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/) says pre-Christmas..!

:)

BadgerSundae
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Good spot there, steveblake. Standalone Roadkill with live unwrap and no GPL conflicts? I'll take two, thanks. :)

Code Andy, code! Thanks for all of your hard work.

steveblake
01-02-2007, 02:24 PM
..any news??

SwannOTron
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
..any news??

I'm just adding one final feature, fixing one final big bug, then we're ready to test.

Sorry, we jumped the gun a bit with our 'before Christmas 06' message.. Looking more like the end of January now.

If you'd be able to test RoadKill 1.1 and you're interested please drop me a message or mail.

Many thanks.

Swanny

steveblake
01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
yes puhleaze...sign me up!!

Matt Leishman
01-09-2007, 01:32 AM
please sign me up too if possible, thanks.

Grgeon
01-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Me too!

-George

ParamountCell
01-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Id like to look into it.

SwannOTron
01-09-2007, 11:59 AM
yes puhleaze...sign me up!!

'steveblake has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space. ' :sad:

cpan
02-09-2007, 03:06 PM
its gonna be posted today and the new version looks awesome oho !! :D

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/index.htm

~ counting minutes heh ~:P

EDIT:
It's there ehe! And as a standalone too! :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2007, 03:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.