PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 2: o2car: Kraft

o2car
01-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Nice contest!
Decided to go for a living vehicle. Very cheap, autorecycling fuel; food :)

Its a crayfishlike grasshopper with a comfortable back. You just grab his antennas as reins and go.

Just started modeling him yesterday, will post a screenshot of it later.

comments?

wanzai
01-20-2003, 11:52 AM
> comments?

yes! nice idea!

:D

chrisdejoya
01-20-2003, 04:26 PM
i'm actually jealous of your concept. re: your site...battlefield 1942?

chrisdejoya
01-21-2003, 04:04 PM
it's so simple but the most stylish entry yet! (in my opinion) you should have this done in no time.

sounds like you had a blast. good work on battlefield, it seems to be one of the all time hot games out there right now.

o2car
01-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Ive been painting my kitchen, and the furniture blocked the door to the computer so i couldn´t upload the pic yesterday. Hope i will be able to do it tonight.
I did a fairly easy sketch since otherwise I tend to give up. This might be finished. =)

We´ve swithed to Maya from Max at work so this will be a maya-modeling/texturing lession for me.

//Oscar

btw: bf1942 became "GOTY 2002" at IGN.com. I love their comment: "Battlefield 1942 is more than just the best game of this year - - it’s one of the best games of any other year as well"

:buttrock:

o2car
01-22-2003, 12:20 AM
The mesh is so dirty I dont dare to show the wire yet. Have to clean it first, just need to get the right shapes... =)

Good night

o2car
01-26-2003, 07:49 PM
I hope i will have time to finish it.

o2car
01-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Found some cool crayfish pics on the net..

Hehe, maybe its a lobster, i cant tell the difference ;D

o2car
01-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Im going to write a longer description of the civilisation that uses these things as transport;

The planet is wet. 75% of it is covered by oceans.
The intelligent inhabitants lives their lifes under water, and look alot like mermaids. They grow and harvest plankton, that they use to feed themselves and their pets. They´ve researched and developed a illuminating, extremly nutricious kind that keeps them alive and lights up their homes deep down under the sea.
The "Kraft" is used when going up from the water to collect the delicious fruits that only exist on land. Its the only thing that can travel both on land and in water.

o2car
01-31-2003, 02:05 AM
Time for textures, almost all mapping coords mapped.

monolog :(

wanzai
01-31-2003, 05:16 AM
looks fine so far. with THAT dummy checker map it already looks kinda cool :)

keep on!

sanhueza
01-31-2003, 11:39 PM
I like this concept alot, and it seems to me that you've been working on it extremely quickly. Hats off to you for getting so much done in so little time!

Since it appears that you are at the texturing stage, it might be a little too late to give you a modeling crit. But here's one anyway: I think you could save many polys by reducing the ridges in the chair. Making it relatively flat and simply using a texture to simulate those ridges will probably come out just as well, especially since you won't really see that area of the model very well when a character is sitting in it. Those extra polygons could go towards adding more spikes on the outside of the model, and making the legs rounder. Just a suggestion. Good luck on finishing on time!

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

o2car
02-01-2003, 01:09 AM
Yeah, thanks alot. I didnt really optimize the mesh since i did everything in a hurry, maybe spent one hour on the mesh and 2 hours on mapping it.. Also the maximum polycount at 3500 was very generous. Right now its not even 2000 polys on the model. If I have time I might split som polygons and extrude some faces. =)

o2car
02-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Texture WIP

wanzai
02-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by o2car
Also the maximum polycount at 3500 was very generous.

You can say that again ;)

MrHappyPants
02-02-2003, 09:43 AM
wow that texture is looking great! I hope mine comes out looking that nice.. sometimes getting the texture to look right can be a roll of the dice with a new model design.

sanhueza
02-02-2003, 10:20 AM
The texture is looking very good so far. Really crayfishy. Hey I just made up a new word. Woohoo! :bounce:

Best of luck!

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.