PDA

View Full Version : Computer Update

Savage_Henry
01-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Wow guys!!
Thanks for all your help and comments ( A special shout out to Elvis and Greg Hess, two of the most helpful guys on cgtalk) about parts and what not. I am now the proud owner of a bounce baby:

AMD 2400+ xp
Suma GeForce 4 ti2400 128mb VIVO
Samsung DDR 512mb
Seagate 80gig 7200 rpm
Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo
Samsung combo DVD + CD-R

Plus I found a sweet deal on a 19" trinatron.
Anyway I appreciate all the help that was given to me (directly or indirectly through other threads). I 'm really happy with everything I got and even my heaviest scenes open with ease.

Oh...and incase you were wondering, I paid 1.3 million won for everything:
1,106.854 USD
1,700.250 CAD

pretty solid price I think. anyway thanks again guys. I'ma happy man
:applause:

Dearmad
01-20-2003, 06:25 AM
You did well there! That's a solid system. Only critique is that your vid card is a slight bottleneck to that rippin processor (for real time graphic previews), but I would wait to upgrade that until the latest generation has arrived.

And what, no soundcard and 5.1 speakers for playin' DVD's? :shrug:

GregHess
01-20-2003, 03:07 PM
And what, no soundcard and 5.1 speakers for playin' DVD's?

The nvidia soundstorm embedded audio is better then most of the audigy line...plus none of that creative BS. I'm sure madmax could tell better, but I think it actually has 6.1 output. Not sure though.

As for the ti 4200. Its plenty fast, if he wants some more kick, just install riva tuner and up the core/mem to ti 4400 speeds...heck most of them will nearly reach ti 4600 speeds, mostly due to the fact that the ti 4600's are no longer in production, and the ti 4200's are being produced on the old ti 4600 pcb's with the same high speed ram.

Dearmad
01-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah but onboard sound uses a lot of CPU cycles typically, unless the solution on that Mobo is very different from what I'm familiar with... no thank you. :shrug:

Like I said though, it's a solid system for rendering.

Speed Racer
01-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Dearmad
Yeah but onboard sound uses a lot of CPU cycles typically, unless the solution on that Mobo is very different from what I'm familiar with... no thank you. :shrug:

nvidia's sound storm uses much less CPU than any solution out there, especially the audigy stuff.

It is not your normal embedded audio crap. It is its own DSP and (unlike Audigy) it does real-time dolby digital encoding for in-game dolby digital 5.1 surround sound. This is awesome if you have a HTPC or a nice DD 5.1 receiver/amp in your computer room.

It also uses AMD's hypertransport to connect to the north bridge (memory) which uses less CPU overhead than the PCI bus uses.

There have been a number of benchmarks to show that nvidia's audio solution uses less CPU than just about anything out there.

GregHess
01-20-2003, 09:26 PM

And a fantastic gaming/viewport modeling box as well.

Dearmad
01-20-2003, 09:56 PM
:eek:

Speedracer: Dang! That is sounding cool! I'll have to look into this- for months I've been dismissing on-board sound out of hand for it's crap quality and CPU cyle robbing, but this Nvidia solution sounds fantastic! Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

Now I wonder what it's SNR is for recording... need to investigate. :love:

Savage_Henry
01-21-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by GregHess

As for the ti 4200. Its plenty fast, if he wants some more kick, just install riva tuner and up the core/mem to ti 4400 speeds...heck most of them will nearly reach ti 4600 speeds, mostly due to the fact that the ti 4600's are no longer in production, and the ti 4200's are being produced on the old ti 4600 pcb's with the same high speed ram.

Can you give me some more info on this process?
I need speed baby.:buttrock:

platypus
01-21-2003, 06:48 AM
where'd you find the 19" deal? how much?

David Watters
01-21-2003, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GregHess
[B]And what, no soundcard and 5.1 speakers for playin' DVD's?

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/audigy2_versus_nforce2/default.asp

elvis
01-21-2003, 08:53 AM
here's the (relatively) easy way to overclock your nvidia video card.

for starters, i'm assuming you are using nvidia detonators based on the 40 series of drivers or better. at time of writing the 41.09 drivers are available from nvidia's website. i'm also assuming you are running windows 2000 or XP. if ether of these assumptions are wrong, then fix your system. :p

onto the juicy bit: click your start button, and click "run". in the box type "regedit" and click OK.

scroll to the location:
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVidia Corporation

under this location there will be another folder called "NVTweaK". double-click on this to put yourself inside this folder.

in the right-hand window now, right-click and choose "New" and then "DWORD Value". call the new DWORD "coolbits" (lower case, no quotation marks). double-click on the newly created coolbits, and set the value to 3.

close the registry editor.

right-click your desktop, and choose properties. now click the "settings" tab, and the "advanced" button.

a new window will pop up. click on the tab that lists your video card (GeForce4 Ti 4200), and a side panel will slide out.

you'll notice in the side panel there will be an entry called "Clock Frequencies". click on this. the first thing you'll need to do is enable the "Allow clock frequencey adjustments" check-box, and reboot.

once you've rebooted, get back to that window and set the frequency you wish to use. you must "test" a setting before enabling it. i would be reluctant to set the "Apply these settings at startup" option until you have fully tested a setting for stability under the new frequency, as well as monitoring your heat output from your video card.

Happy overclocking! :)

Savage_Henry
01-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by platypus
where'd you find the 19" deal? how much?

In a massive area of Seoul called Yongsan. Sorry guy...a ways away from Savannah....I used to spend summer vacation there:)

platypus
01-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Savage_Henry
In a massive area of Seoul called Yongsan. Sorry guy...a ways away from Savannah....I used to spend summer vacation there:)

yeah. that might just be a little out of the way for me. :surprised

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.