PDA

View Full Version : VRay 1.5 release date announced

DJ-Studd
07-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I believe this counts as news...

Chaos Group to reveal V-Ray 1.5 at SIGGRAPH 2006, Boston

The wait is nearly over! The first official pre-release of version 1.5 of the V-Ray renderer will be revealed at SIGGRAPH 2006 in Boston, USA.

<snip>

We welcome you to SIGGRAPH booth #1014 (VisMasters and Chaos Group) where you can see V-Ray 1.5 in action, additional information about Aura as well as an overview of a new product that is about to be released - a sequence player.
We would also like to invite you to the V-Ray users meeting to be held as part of the VisMasters Design Visualization Conference on August 4th, 2006. For more details, please visit
http://dvc.vismasters.com/
V-Ray 1.5 builds on the existing foundation of the V-Ray rendering engine, extends its capabilities and adds many new features:
(*) Full render elements support inside 3dsmax with nearly 30 render elements available;
(*) Physically based sun and sky for simulating the natural daylight illumination of the Earth;
(*) Physically based camera model with real-world parameters (exposure, distortion etc);
(*) New material types (VRayBlendMtl for layering materials in an efficient manner, VRay2SidedMtl for simulating thin translucent surfaces, VRayFastSSS for simulating subsurface scattering in translucent materials like humnan skin, and more);
(*) Detail enhancement for the irradiance map - a blend between the irradiance map and QMC GI to bring the best of both worlds;
(*) Adaptive path tracing;
(*) VRayDirt texture map for simulating dirt or ambient occlusion;
(*) Improved distributed rendering;
(*) Improved V-Ray virtual frame buffer;
(*) Multi-platform SDK for extended virtually any part of the rendering engine;
(*) and much more...

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15944&highlight=

Wow!

-- DJ

ThomasMahler
07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I'd love to see some renders from the beta - especially the VRayFastSSS including the time it took to render and so on and so on.

Will be a nice Siggy, for sure :)

milohas3Dee
07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
vray for maya.. any news?

Reepoman
07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
vray for maya.. any news?

More importantly...:D Vray for XSI?

^Lele^
07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
From what i can gather on the forums @ Chaos they are coming along with 1.5.
That is to say, they will probably have the full attention after the final release of 1.5, which makes sense as for 1.5 there's a huge amount of cleanup work on the SDK, as well as new important engine tweaks.

It's an IMPRESSION not a FACT, bear in mind :)

DJ, well done for speed, hey! :D

Lele

CupOWonton
07-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes yes yes! People have been waiting for this for a long time, makes me wish ChaosGroup had more programmers, but sometimes great things are worth waiting for. Theyve added a lot of features since Vray 1 through all the mini releases over the past... 2? 3 years? But Vray still shines as one of the best rendering engines ive worked with. I cant wait to see all the new features.

dprgb
07-21-2006, 02:39 PM
There's a tech preview here:

http://vray.info/

just keep in mind it's almost a year old.

pixelmonk
07-21-2006, 02:54 PM
still no word on Maya Vray, which is ok... Mental Ray 3.5 will show at Siggraph

ngrava
07-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Vray for Maya has been on ice since February. Waiting.

JeffPalmer
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
In other news, Duke Nukem Forever will be coming out next week :rolleyes:

^Lele^
07-21-2006, 09:05 PM
XXXXXXX wrote: All this excitment going on with 1.5 and Rhino, but what about maya??? Will there be any news at Siggraph??
It is coming along and there will be a public beta version very soon.

Best regards,
Vlado

A couple of hours ago from the Chaos forum.

Lele

CupOWonton
07-21-2006, 10:36 PM
In other news, Duke Nukem Forever will be coming out next week :rolleyes:
Hm, no, sorry, not the same thing.

Brian-Bradley
07-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Anyone else think that going back to the dark ages
of hardware locks (dongle) is crazy?

Bri

Steve Green
07-22-2006, 12:41 PM
I'll have to see how it's implemented...

On the plus side, it will allow people with laptops to transport the licence, although I would have preferred a software licence like Max.

There are still a few plugins and apps that use Hardware like network cards for the licence. One of the advantages of the old Max dongles was that the key was static, so you could use the same auth codes for plugins that used that dongle ID.

- Steve

3Drawer
07-22-2006, 12:57 PM
mmm I could upload some images of vray sss on monday, since im not on my pc now.

But I can tell you that it is fast ;)

3Drawer

mech7
07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes usb dongles are stupid.. my usb ports are full enough allready, i don't feel the need to buy some usb splitter just for licensing scheme's

(hdd, wacom, mouse, wlan, bluetooth, usb stick)

Bri

^Lele^
07-22-2006, 06:23 PM
It has pluses and minuses.
One BIG plus is to be able to "loan" a license over the internet(ie.: the studio i work for lends it to me when i am home...).
Not a small feat...

Lele

instinct-vfx
07-24-2006, 08:53 AM
it's not the usual dongle we all know and hated. It doesnt have to be attached to the workstation. can be on a diff computer on the network. zou can even grab the license via internet. There can be as many lics as you want on one dongle etc...So far i really kinda like the idea from all i heard. we'll see

Thorsten

pixelmonk
07-24-2006, 02:33 PM
It has pluses and minuses.
One BIG plus is to be able to "loan" a license over the internet(ie.: the studio i work for lends it to me when i am home...).
Not a small feat...

Lele

a small feat... software licensing can allow that. Other than that... dongles are useless in that they can be defeated easily. It's a shame the investments (money) that go into licensing schemes instead of utilizing that capital for more development manhours on their product the scheme is being used on. But that's a whole nother rant...

instinct-vfx
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
it's a whole diff thing having to export your lic to loan and beeing able to grab it from the internet via built in httpd. I personally dunno any software lic scheme that allows that. Do You ?

Thorsten

3Drawer
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
^deleted............

^Lele^
07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
You'd definitely get a lot more speed using the QMC aa and approaching the "universal" settings.
It surprises me you chose adaptiveAA for a purely QMC effected image.

Lele

DaForce
07-25-2006, 12:10 PM
So your a student, fairly young, have only 1 post on the chaosgroups forums.. in the Vray Free section, and you have a pre-release version of vray that is only given out to internal beta testers who have good cred on the forums, right buddy.. something doesnt add up

AdrianWilliams
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Damn you Chris lol
Nice render btw, Animation perhaps?

3Drawer
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
So your a student, fairly young, have only 1 post on the chaosgroups forums.. in the Vray Free section, and you have a pre-release version of vray that is only given out to internal beta testers who have good cred on the forums, right buddy.. something doesnt add up

ahm well, I know vlado in a private way.
And I know a lot of beta testers which are not on the chaosgroup forum.

3Drawer
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
^deleted............

DaForce
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
ahm well, I know vlado in a private way.
And I know a lot of beta testers which are not on the chaosgroup forum.

Hmmm ok, carry on then.
Just seen too many dodgy users around... cant be too carefull these days

3Drawer
07-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Hmmm ok, carry on then.

yeah I know, but since vray 1.49 theres a new license system that runs....

ah you cannot use it when ur not beta :D

spurcell
07-25-2006, 03:24 PM
....and its the battle of the kitty avatars :)

joconnell
07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
a small feat... software licensing can allow that. Other than that... dongles are useless in that they can be defeated easily. It's a shame the investments (money) that go into licensing schemes instead of utilizing that capital for more development manhours on their product the scheme is being used on. But that's a whole nother rant...

Indeed - the guys in chaos did it as a way for legit users to move their licenses around easilty rather than protect the software - they know well that any license system will be cracked with time.

ThirdEye
07-25-2006, 04:40 PM
renderingtime 6min 7sec.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4606/flower2pw6.jpg

To be honest looking at those rendertimes this "fast" SSS shader looks everything but fast. Much slower than miSSS for sure.

^Lele^
07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
To be honest looking at those rendertimes this "fast" SSS shader looks everything but fast. Much slower than miSSS for sure.
The disconcerting thing about these renders IS the rendertime.
Vray is extremely sensitive to the settings, especially good ones, to deliver silly low rendertimes.
I am talking by personal experience, not necessarily criticising what's been rendered.
From the description given of the settings there's too little information about the setup to judge completely, and potentially a LOT of room for improvement.
Is he using an arealight?
A shadow mapped one?
What filter, if any, is he using?
And on and on.

And finding that percentage of speed when rendering images it's what the Chaos forum is about: a very present developer, an active and knowledgeable userbase, and the will to share.
Of course it's often discussed to a depth that's fairly different from what can be found anywhere else on the subject, for "free".

But let's hold on before comparing rendertimes, 1.5 is after all at the door, and it has features MR lacks by design (and i am not speaking of shaders, but of rendering architecture at its core. The same applies when inverting the terms, of course), so i'd say let's have a proper scene set up, and benchmark that once we're given the new toy :D

Lele

DJ-Studd
07-26-2006, 03:15 AM

Bri

Definately not. The dongles aren't the archaic parallel type, they're USB. Should be as reliable as any other USB device.

On the plus side, it will allow people with laptops to transport the licence, although I would have preferred a software licence like Max.

Will be excellent. Takes too long to export the max license, when you can simply unplug the dongle and plug it back in to another machine.

Yes usb dongles are stupid.. my usb ports are full enough allready, i don't feel the need to buy some usb splitter just for licensing scheme's

That's ok. You can stick with the older release of VRay if you so choose. I certainly think we're getting our moneys worth with 1.5! Most companies would require you to purchase an upgrade (Read: Autodesk...)

3Drawer
07-26-2006, 08:14 AM
The disconcerting thing about these renders IS the rendertime.
Vray is extremely sensitive to the settings, especially good ones, to deliver silly low rendertimes.
I am talking by personal experience, not necessarily criticising what's been rendered.
From the description given of the settings there's too little information about the setup to judge completely, and potentially a LOT of room for improvement.
Is he using an arealight?
A shadow mapped one?
What filter, if any, is he using?
And on and on.

And finding that percentage of speed when rendering images it's what the Chaos forum is about: a very present developer, an active and knowledgeable userbase, and the will to share.
Of course it's often discussed to a depth that's fairly different from what can be found anywhere else on the subject, for "free".

But let's hold on before comparing rendertimes, 1.5 is after all at the door, and it has features MR lacks by design (and i am not speaking of shaders, but of rendering architecture at its core. The same applies when inverting the terms, of course), so i'd say let's have a proper scene set up, and benchmark that once we're given the new toy :D

Lele

of course theres a lot of space for optimization. Since I dont have much time to do such tests I just rendered with standart settings (1000 LC samples and QMC-Sampler standart).
The light is a vray area light of course. And I said that Im using an area filter.

Slow renderintime... well its faster than MW :D

maybe im going to play with it in 2 weeks or something...

^Lele^
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
The light is a vray area light of course. And I said that Im using an area filter.
See what i mean?
You do not seem to have read Vlado's posts on the "universal" settings, as the material's settings and usage of area filter implies.

Slow renderintime... well its faster than MW :D

Again, there's a HUGE thread on VRay vs. Maxwell in the forum, and it's all being tested using an entirely different rendering method still.
That's what it's generally compared to Maxwell, for unbiasness and approach to the rendered scene.

I guess after all Vlado was selective in the infos he passed on, keeping the best for paying users :)

Lele

Kabab
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Lele
What are some of these features?

Not trying to start a flame war just curious..

Nikki Candelero
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
@ 3Drawer

We know you're in the beta team, but you are MISSING a big point from the
NDA agreement, which concerns not exposing things done with latest beta builds publically.
So, I think you know what you HAVE to DO now. Don't you ?

nikki Candelero

Gunnah
07-26-2006, 07:42 PM
wow, not that I usually jump in on stuff like this, but holy.. talk about guilty until proven innocent... and not even an apology. It may be a smart idea to mesage the person you point a finger at in *private* first. I know a truckload of people on beta's who never ever post on boards, so it's a pretty common thing.

g

Hmmm ok, carry on then.

instinct-vfx
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I assume youre not on the official vray forums ? The warez flood is pretty annoying...besides it sucks to see a lot of obviously non-legit users post here and in other spots...it pisses legit users off. Besides as candelero pointed out i dont think ppl on beta are supposed to post rendertimes to the public....and BECAUSE of that you hardly see stuff posted on other forums that are beyond the last public build (wich is 1.47.03 btw). And hence chances are pretty damn high that other posts are non-legit users...sad but true :(

Thorsten

Gunnah
07-26-2006, 08:49 PM
hehe, actually, I am, I just never post.. Yes, I agree, I hate to see warez'd versions of well designed software (pretty much all the renderers, etc), but you cant use that for an excuse to point fingers ;) I just hate seeing people jump to conclusions without all the info is all..

I also agree about rendertime during betas... should never post, cause it's usually not a good indication of the actual final shipping product, among other things

G

I assume youre not on the official vray forums ? The warez flood is pretty annoying...besides it sucks to see a lot of obviously non-legit users post here and in other spots...it pisses legit users off. Besides as candelero pointed out i dont think ppl on beta are supposed to post rendertimes to the public....and BECAUSE of that you hardly see stuff posted on other forums that are beyond the last public build (wich is 1.47.03 btw). And hence chances are pretty damn high that other posts are non-legit users...sad but true :(

Thorsten

^Lele^
07-26-2006, 11:26 PM
hehe, actually, I am, I just never post.. Yes, I agree, I hate to see warez'd versions of well designed software (pretty much all the renderers, etc), but you cant use that for an excuse to point fingers ;) I just hate seeing people jump to conclusions without all the info is all..

I also agree about rendertime during betas... should never post, cause it's usually not a good indication of the actual final shipping product, among other things

G

You seem to miss a point.
Posting on CGTalk is shouting to the world.
Why would Chaos have a betatester post an image set up WRONGLY (there, i said it) and have the world jump to the wrong conclusions?
It's mis-information, and i am sure the NDA covers it fair and square.
Age is no excuse in this case, as such no excuse is imo needed.
There sure is a difference between stealing and behaving like a thief, but hey, in neither case one should expect respect up-front.
And i agree with Thorsten: it DOES piss legit users, and behaved beta-testers off.

Lele

DaForce
07-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey 3Drawer, sorry for making an assumption that you were a warez user. But you should really read your NDA before posting things like that :deal:

I guess im allowed to be wrong once :D

hahahaha

instinct-vfx
07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
I guess im allowed to be wrong once :D

Of course....NOT :P

DaForce
07-27-2006, 07:58 AM
hahahahha thats pretty funny..

*cough* shove it *cough*

:D

^Lele^
07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
:banghead: <- DaForce

LOL

Cheer up mate, you weren't that wide off the mark :)

Lele

Gunnah
07-27-2006, 02:04 PM
What point did I miss?

I said I dont think render times, etc should be posted? NDA's usually cover a lot of stuff, however, people casually mention stuff about beta software they're on either intentionally, or accidentally all the time (it's happend in the vray forums as well, and not for vray items) Yes, it's irritating, I totally agree... But my main point for posting was the fact poeple assumed he was using a crack or something, when in fact, he wasnt. That's not very nice to be accused of, in public (and in your words, shouting to the whole world) How was he behaving like a thief? he just posted an image... how did you know he didn't actually have permission? (I know that's not the case, but you see my point) if anything, he broke NDA, which may/may not lead to being booted from the beta, etc.

Anyways, it's all been taken care of by now, so it's all good

G

You seem to miss a point.
Posting on CGTalk is shouting to the world.
Why would Chaos have a betatester post an image set up WRONGLY (there, i said it) and have the world jump to the wrong conclusions?
It's mis-information, and i am sure the NDA covers it fair and square.
Age is no excuse in this case, as such no excuse is imo needed.
There sure is a difference between stealing and behaving like a thief, but hey, in neither case one should expect respect up-front.
And i agree with Thorsten: it DOES piss legit users, and behaved beta-testers off.

Lele

3Drawer
07-27-2006, 02:22 PM
ok guys of chaosgroup (especially vlado!) Im really sorry that ive posted this rendering of the (closed) beta!
I thought is only prohibited to post screenshots of the options (for vray SSS for example...).

@ Da_force: No problem
@ Nikki Candelero: already done ;)

bye

3Drawer

mark0916
07-28-2006, 04:01 AM
COOL !!

http://www.im.tv/VLOG/personal.asp?Memid=204987

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2006, 04:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.