PDA

View Full Version : switching from vray to fR, some questions

gusar
07-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi,
I`ve been playing with fR for a few days, and I like it so far. Did some tests with several scenes, using finalR-sp1 and vray 1.09.03.
When compared to vray, I get similar quality much faster for a single shot, but much slower for animation,ie vray takes ages for precalculation of irmap, but when it is done, rendering frames is fast as scanline. On the other hand, finalR is much faster while doing prepass, but when it comes to rendering, it is quite slower, as it still performs some GI calculation.
settings fR
bounce 5, rays 400/200 density 128 ratio 7 balance 83/70/0 AA 0,2
vray IR -2,0 qmc noise 0.001 AA 0,2
These settings gave me similar quality. Now, I didnt make statistics, but rendertimes were something like this.
single shot
fR 10 min
vray 30 min
precalculation 100 frames animation ( every 10th frame )
fr 20 min
vray 40 min
frames
fr 50 sec
vray 8 sec
Numbers could be wrong, but let`s say that`s ratio

Vray stats are something I would expect, but about fR dont know. Maybe I used wrong settings, or misslead procedure.
some questions
1 what params in finalR, beside mentioned above, are important in quality/speed performance ?
2 what params are considered in prepass calculation, and which one while rendering ?
3 is there option "prepass only" ( like "dont render final image" in vray ) in sp-1 ?
4 what is min/max ratio ? ( I rendered with ratio 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,15,20, and it was slow with 1, then faster and faster until 7, then slower and slower again with higher numbers )
thx

demoniorojo
07-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi gusar,fr has an optimized algorithm for animations,scene msp is for static images the second option,DynamicMSP is for animations,i think that you can reduce the render time with these settings:)

simont
07-24-2006, 12:22 PM
You'll get much better stability and speed by installing the latest service pack, sp1 is about 3 years old now.... download sp3a and give that a go.

There is a "Prepass only" option, though I can't remember if that was in sp1 or not, this does exactly what you would expect. The MSP settings are not used for speeding up animations, they are diferent methods of accelerating the whole raytracing process, lots of options to tweak memory usage and speed per scene.

If you want to stop the GI calcs after a solution has been saved, you can use the "Lock Solution" option, again this might not have been in sp1.

HTH,
Si.

gusar
07-25-2006, 08:23 AM
thx
@simont - I did locked solution, so it didn`t calculated prepass, only rendering, but I was curious why is that so slower than vray

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2006, 08:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.