PDA

View Full Version : NEXT GENERATION: Will Wright's SPORE: Will it revolutionaze Gaming?

RobertoOrtiz
07-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Quote:
"Next Generation had a unique chance to get some hands-on Spore action, so we can offer some insight. A note of caution is required, however. Thanks to careful planning that ensured that the game’s most innovative aspects, such as the procedural animation engine and the super-friendly editors, have been in design and prototyping for years, all the building blocks of the game are now functional. Even so, it is clearly going to take Maxis at least a year to stitch all the elements into a coherent whole. But it is already fun to play."

>>LINK<< (http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jul2006/id20060720_289503.htm?campaign_id=bier_innlt0)

-R

Ollarin
07-21-2006, 02:10 AM
Spore looks awesome! It's going to be a real breakthrough for the gaming industry!

The only problem i have with it's procedural animation system is...Wouldn't this mean less jobs for animators?
From what i understand of the procedural animation system is, it's all coded in, right? And there are no animators to animate it. Is that right? O_o

Spore is going to be a fun game to play nonetheless! :thumbsup:

PyRoT
07-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Spore looks awesome! It's going to be a real breakthrough for the gaming industry!

The only problem i have with it's procedural animation system is...Wouldn't this mean less jobs for animators?
From what i understand of the procedural animation system is, it's all coded in, right? And there are no animators to animate it. Is that right? O_o

Spore is going to be a fun game to play nonetheless! :thumbsup:

Perhaps, it would aid in having great crowd simulation movement. However, it has been mentioned before that animators can give 'character to the characters movement.

I would be more worried about 3D Artists of all sorts losing jobs to cheaper overseas alternatives in Asia than this...

DrFx
07-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Even so, it is clearly going to take Maxis at least a year to stitch all the elements into a coherent whole.

Wow, so ETA will be about 2007 holiday season, right? They really are taking their time to do it right, much like Blizzard! A 3-year hype period should have the game selling like hotcakes!

bRyaN2003
07-21-2006, 07:28 AM
officially pumped for this game....

mech7
07-21-2006, 08:24 AM
They way you make your creature and the way it evolves should be procedural too.. :) So with your theory there should also be less modellers.. :p

NanoGator
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I would be more worried about 3D Artists of all sorts losing jobs to cheaper overseas alternatives in Asia than this...

Heh. Yep. So far, technology doesn't have a very high kill count when it comes to destroying the livelyhoods of people.

AdamHerbert
07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
This game looks fantastic! I haven't heard anything negative about it yet. I'm really looking forward to it.

On a side note, I read that it would take an avid gamer 60 years to completley explore one of the universes created in the game.

Rogun
07-22-2006, 01:02 AM
I can't wait for the game, either. But they said the same thing about Black and white when it first came out, that the AI was going to be so amazing it well set the standard for games. Well, it wom some awards but not everyone enjoys such a complex game.

noisewar
07-22-2006, 01:06 AM
This game looks fantastic! I haven't heard anything negative about it yet. I'm really looking forward to it.

On a side note, I read that it would take an avid gamer 60 years to completley explore one of the universes created in the game.

Assuming he stays ignorant of all the procedural system and the rules it follows...

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2006, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.