PDA

View Full Version : maxscript basics

himanshu1khatri
07-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi ther ...
i have nevr coded with any kind of graphics b4 ....but now i suddenly have the following problem at hand .....

I need to do this ....

I have a max file with many instances of the basic primitive ~ Sphere in the file ...there is no other shape in the scene ....only many small spheres arranged in a pattern ........now i need a maxscript code to scan this file and write out the coordinates of the centers of the spheres out to a text or xml file.......which i am expecing or hoping to read as xyz coordinates (int) values from a c# code........

i really need to accomplish this xtremely urgently......help would be forever indetting :-p

do reply
in anticipation

thanx a zillion eitherways......

Wahooney
07-21-2006, 09:32 AM
If you gave me a sample of how you want the file to look I'll knock something up for you quickly.

You should've posted this on the Maxscript forum, you'd get more help there :thumbsup:

himanshu1khatri
07-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanx a lot mate ..... i am attaching a link to the scene itself.....i have uploaded it on the web.......do use it.......

really glad u replied ....i see hope again.... :-)

http://www.4shared.com/file/2626372/968c881d/4wahooney.html

but the aim is to run the script on any such arrangement of spheres and get the xyz coordinates of their center in a text file which i will read to run some motors etc .....

is it difficult.....???......i am also starting to learn maxscript today......

i hope i was able to convey what is needed clearly....please do spare some time if u can ...

cheers newys......

himanshu1khatri
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
thanx 4 replyin mate

I have uploaded the file >>here<< (http://www.4shared.com/file/2626372/968c881d/4wahooney.html)

the script will run on scenes like this ....the coordinated of center of each sphere are needed in a text file from which some motors etc will be run via the usb.....

see wat u can do with it .......

i see hope again ....thanx a ton

Wahooney
07-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Could you give me an example of how you want the XML file to look?

I'm thinking something like:
<point x=12 y=24 z=16 />
<point x=34 y=54 z=53 />
<point x=11 y=92 z=27 />
etc.

Just paste the following code into a new script and hit Ctrl-E, make sure your scene is open:scr = newScript()
for geo in geometry do
(
format "<point x=% y=% z=% />\n" (geo.pos.x as integer) (geo.pos.y as integer) (geo.pos.z as integer) to:scr
)

Copy and paste the output into your xml file and it's done.

Another thing it seems your scene has lots of overlapping spheres, is that intentional?

himanshu1khatri
07-21-2006, 08:55 PM
hey dude thanx a lot for taking time out.......but i had to do it by noon today.......so burnt the night learning maxscript.........modifies a rollout example for viewing object list and made it with even a nice UI :-) ............but ur reply was encouragement........i was always hoping ud be my safety option maybe thats wat help me thru.......

i must say max reference guid is one of the best i have ever used......its nice n simple.....even for a beginner..........but then again thanx a lot.....

neway...seas

keep in touch as i learn more...

Wahooney
07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Glad to have been of help :thumbsup:

Just remember to post in the MaxScript forum, in the Autodesk 3DS Max Forum.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.