PDA

View Full Version : need help recovering file

twistedmessiah
07-20-2006, 02:12 AM
i recently built a computer from the ground up. i installed a new hard drive with the computer, as well as shoved the old HD into the new one so I wouldnt need to back up and transfer all my files. it acts as my secondary storage drive. i have copies of my painting on both drives too.

so i deleted all my old program files while still keeping my personal files. i installed my programs on my new HD (its a high performance HD) however, there in may be the problem.

i cannot open a PSD file i had been using in corel painter 9.5 in either painter or photoshop now because of the following errors:

photoshop CS2: could not complete your request because the file is not compatable with this version of photoshop.

painter 9.5: photoshop compression method not supported

if anyone could give me a possible work around so i could open my file and continue working, 'd be so pleased.

've run into so many issues when working in painter, its almost like i am cursed. i get nearly finished with a painting and BAM! its gone for whatever reason. has happened 3 out of 4 times.

ThePhotographer
07-20-2006, 03:06 PM
You could always try to go to "Preferences" in CS2 and set "maximise backwards compatibility" to "always". I'm sorry if the wording isn't completely correct - I have the French version.

You will probably have to quit PhotoShop and reopen before the change takes place.

Then make a new "save as" of the file if you get it to open.

twistedmessiah
07-20-2006, 09:46 PM
afraid that did little good. but thank you for your response. i really appreciate your trying to help.

ThePhotographer
07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Have you tried to play the script in Painter ? I have recovered a lost file that way. Read the manual to be sure that you do it correctly. IF the script files are still available for you of course ....

Maybe Jin would step in here and give some advice ?

twistedmessiah
07-22-2006, 09:47 PM
no, there wont be any scripts files left for it. funny thing tho, i started over again, and i am having the same issue saving my work as a PSD file and then opening i in either photoshop or painter. luckily i didnt do tooo much work, but still, quite odd.

artvandeley
07-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Is it the same with .tif- files? And how about other programs which can handle the psd-format like Artrage or (on Mac) Graphicconverter?

Sorry to hear about your problems :/

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2006, 08:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.