PDA

View Full Version : Very, very confused...

Stillwell
01-19-2003, 07:49 PM
While browsing the first five pages of this Technical and hardware forum, I became very, very confused... I was pretty much sure of what I bought, but when I saw the many comments about every piece of hardware, it's pretty hard to make a choice!

I would want to buy a new comp, at an average of 1000$, canadian. There is a local retailer, maybe you guys would like to help me buy with what there is available? Because even if I'd ask for the best hardware and you would suggest things that are not available, it's not useful ;)

Since I am very confused with the mobo and processor, this is were I am seeking advice. And if you would like to help me, please consider the fact that I am doing 3d mostly, so this is what I need good stuff for.

First, you can check out here:
http://www.microbytes.com/sysdeg-e.htm

You see there is two Basic systems, which one is the best quality for the lowest price? I have been told, though, to get away as far as possible from the Celeron. Since I saw alot of great comments about the AMD and the Athlon XP, I will consider this the best buy. You can still correct me!

Whatever the choice you make, just please tell me what type of motherboard I have to take. I really am stuck there.

But, I do plan to buy a Geforce 4 TI4200, and a standard 40gig Maxtor HDD.

Thanks!

P.S. I also heard that it was the end of the recreation of the computer manufacturer, meaning that the systems can't really get better and that the prices will drop. Should I wait to buy or go ahead now?

Sieb
01-20-2003, 12:22 AM
Prices always change. The turnaround in the tech sector is 6 months. So no matter what, there is always a better deal around the corner, you just don't know when. You can curb this abit by sticking to AMD, their processors scale well with the current chipsets. Intels usually need a new chipset with each new processor revision, which means a new motherboard.

The motherboards they offer are all decent, it just depends on your need. I would suggest going to newegg.com to look up specs and details of each board. They all come with their own bells and whistels (extra USB brackets, Raid, etc...). You can also use newegg to compare prices.

Processor wise, I would suggest at 2600 to put you on the 333fsb (front side bus) bandwagon. Anything less runs 266fsb. But this would also mean you need PC2700 ram to keep everything consistant performance wise. I just can't figure why their prices are so high though.. Exchange rate? Smells fishy.. They also have a puny Vid card selection unless you want an ATI.. hmm..

I try to stay away form Intel, so I can't provide much info other than the new 3.06GHz HyperThreading systems can haul bawls... But for a price, that won't change soon. But Again, they want over $1600 for it when its a $650 processor.... hmm You could buy a Boxx for the same cost..

Stillwell
01-20-2003, 01:46 AM
Thanks a bunch! Although I am still very confused, I sure hope the store can help me on the spot.

I don't want a salesman only seeking for his money, but one that will truly guide me. I don't know it this kind of person can still be found, in these days...

ecjc97
01-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Call BOXX. We're very happy with the systems we purchased and we had a great experience with their sales guys. They are very consultative and know their stuff. Didn't try to sell us anything we didn't need.

Speed Racer
01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ecjc97
Call BOXX. We're very happy with the systems we purchased and we had a great experience with their sales guys. They are very consultative and know their stuff. Didn't try to sell us anything we didn't need.
How long have you been a sales guy at boxx? :wavey::D

ecjc97
01-20-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm not a salesguy at BOXX. Just a happy customer. Thought it would be nice to share my good experience with those who are looking for workstations. It's just a suggestion, and you can take it or leave it!

Speed Racer
01-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ecjc97
I'm not a salesguy at BOXX. Just a happy customer. Thought it would be nice to share my good experience with those who are looking for workstations. It's just a suggestion, and you can take it or leave it!

I was just joking. :-)

ecjc97
01-20-2003, 07:05 PM
No worries! I didn't take it personally, just don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. These forums are great and the best you can hope for is good advice based on other peoples experience.

Stillwell
01-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Is BOXX canadian?

ecjc97
01-20-2003, 10:04 PM
They're in Texas.

Flyby
01-21-2003, 11:08 AM
if you want to see how well a BOXX machine performs compared to a dell system, have a look at Greg's benching page:

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/maxbench.php

I was surprized to see how much better the BOXX system performed (30% faster)

aYs
01-21-2003, 02:19 PM
if you go for an amd xp choose a mainborad with the new nvidia nforce2 chip (with 5.1 sound on-board).
It's faster an better than the via kt333 or 400

EDIT: btw, it's not more expensive than other boards
e.g. MSI K7N2-L = 118 in germany

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.