PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave xStream Still Pre-Release?

SirReality
07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Anyone using xStream with Lightwave? Is it still in pre-release status?

I've tried a few simple scenes with it and a *very* simple animation. Looks like the plugins are a great idea, but E-on still needs to work some bugs out... which is my normal experience with E-on products (you can expect patches before everything works).

What experience has anyone else had with xStream and Lightwave?

vpii
07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
I have been playing today with it. Still working on the image few crashes today but overall stable.

nanaboso
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow Vpii, nice image. I take it the background is a photo? Are the stairs and rocks in Vue or LW?

vpii
07-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes the background is a photo. The only thing in vue is the terrain that is grass and trees everything else is lightwave. I will be adding small wild flowers around the rocks still, wish placment in vue also could be controled by a imported point layer from lightwave.

SirReality
07-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Nice image, vpii.

What kinds of crashes are you seeing? Generally I have seen Layout crash if I load a Vue scene, then load Lightwave objects whitout first turning the Layout display to wireframe mode.

It also did *NOT* like it when I imported a Lightwave object into Vue, saved it as a view object (.vob), and then used it in a scene which was loaded into Layout. I did this because I was interested in the scaling differences between the two packages and in the future will want to work with properly sized items from both software packages. It looks to me like scaling the Vue content at 10 in the xStream options panel balances the sizes well.

Also, I tried setting up some Lightwave particle effects for rain in one of my test scenes. They rendered fine, but nothing about them was properly displayed in Layout's viewport when a Vue scene was already loaded.

Finally, I was playing with a city ecosystem through xStream, but this came to an end when I tried to have two viewports open at the same time in Layout.

I'm looking forward to continued improvements from E-on. I think that sooner or later this will be a key part of my pipeline.

assistant pimp
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Are you guys part of a beta team for the project? I cannot see where it says now available for LW.

SirReality
07-21-2006, 10:42 PM
assistant pimp,

It seems that the pre-release is available for Lightwave. It is available to buy from E-on's site as a download-only. I've enjoyed the possibilities I see with this software, but it is not production ready so far. E-on is still actively working toward a much more solid product. I've had many crashes and other "funny" experiences while working with xStream so far. This is okay for me, however, because at the moment I'm only using it for personal projects and I know it will improve as E-on releases more patches for LW xStream.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2006, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.