PDA

View Full Version : Valve- Team Fortress 2 Video(!!!)

Tonedef
07-19-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.valvesoftware.com/ep2/teaser/tf2_teaser01_720p.wmv

Enjoy! I know I did!

Edit: Ok, they keep taking it down and putting it up...it should be up for good at 11am PST though as that is the slated release for the trailer.

Edit2: or you can get it here if the link above is not working (http://www.fileplanet.com/165463/160000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2:-Episode-Two---Team-Fortress-2-Trailer)

Charkins
07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I wish they had some gameplay to show us.

If that is ingame, its gonna be totally worth playing.

Tonedef
07-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree about the gameplay bit, and yes that was ingame with post processing, through Source, to add any motionblur/DoF.

pixelmonk
07-19-2006, 06:02 PM
5-6 years in the making.. it should live up to the hype.

My Fault
07-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh man, that looks fantastic. Such great design. Wooo, can't wait to play this.

archerx
07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
is it me or is the site down?

DarkTure
07-19-2006, 06:53 PM
guess this will have to do until its back up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KteNBkF-Q1Q

My Fault
07-19-2006, 06:58 PM
You can also grab the high res version of it off of File Planet here
http://www.fileplanet.com/165463/160000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2:-Episode-Two---Team-Fortress-2-Trailer

cosmonaut
07-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Ohhhhh man, that looks so sweet. Can't wait. I'll admit I felt a little bit let down with how much I got with HL2 Episode 1 for $20 but between this and portal I can't wait to fork over my money for episode 2.

TheLostVertex
07-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I am very disappionted with this. I recall all the old announcements about TF2, from features, to it actually being a seperate game. I do not find the art to be very good either compared to the original goals.

I can imagine the guys at Valve sitting there one day "What happened to TF2?" "Oh, shit! Quick, make a half assed addon before Episode 2 comes out!"

Very disappionting. Now that my last hope of a good PC game has been crushed, I can stop now. Thanks Valve, in both a sarcastic and non sarcastic sense.

-S

ZippZopp
07-19-2006, 07:33 PM
AWESOME!!

can't wait to play this, the character design is spectacular!

DarkTure
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
AWESOME!!

can't wait to play this, the character design is spectacular!

I can only agree. Its the first time in a long time I've been excited over a PC game.

pixelmonk
07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I am very disappionted with this. I recall all the old announcements about TF2, from features, to it actually being a seperate game. I do not find the art to be very good either compared to the original goals.

I can imagine the guys at Valve sitting there one day "What happened to TF2?" "Oh, shit! Quick, make a half assed addon before Episode 2 comes out!"

Very disappionting. Now that my last hope of a good PC game has been crushed, I can stop now. Thanks Valve, in both a sarcastic and non sarcastic sense.

-S

I just took a look at the video. I'm kinda disappointed too based on what was supposed to be TF2 when they first announced it years ago. The screenshots had it looking like a more realistic shooter and was supposed to run more along the likes of Battlefield 2. I'm wondering if the onslaught of games like BF2 and other war FPS made them rethink how they wanted the game to look and flow and decided to change it. I wanted to snipe someone who looks less like a lemming crossbred with a earthworm jim.

Gunnah
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
I dont see how this is disappointment, really.. the original tf was kind of cartoony, this just takes it a step further... As long as gameplay is about the same, I think it's a *fantastic* departure from super-realism.. If you really like the uber tactical real-world ultra crazy stuff, there's like, at LEAST 10 titles out there that can fullfill that ;) Had they stayed in that area, i'd feel they'd just get lost amidst the others (other than the fanboy-base)

G

-S

RockinAkin
07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Looks awesome - cant wait to play!

Between this, portal, and Episode two - valve has earned $20 from me. :thumbsup:

heavyness
07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Looks awesome - cant wait to play!

Between this, portal, and Episode two - valve has earned $20 from me. :thumbsup:

agreed. the next update is going to rock. i won't know what to play first!

i love the new art style and i think the fans of Team Fortress who don't like it will look past it since the game was so damn addictive.

switchblade327
07-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I dont see how this is disappointment, really.. the original tf was kind of cartoony, this just takes it a step further... As long as gameplay is about the same, I think it's a *fantastic* departure from super-realism.. If you really like the uber tactical real-world ultra crazy stuff, there's like, at LEAST 10 titles out there that can fullfill that ;) Had they stayed in that area, i'd feel they'd just get lost amidst the others (other than the fanboy-base)

G

I couldn't agree more and I think the trailer is beautiful and incredibly cool. Valve has always been a top-notch studio but who knew they had such a swanky, stylish side to them? It feels like the moment in a teen movie where the nice and sweet but nerdy girl takes off her glasses and is suddenly smoking hot.

As for keeping true to the original TF2 concept: everything cool promised by TF2 has already been done by other games now (it has been 6-7 years), so why wouldn't they evolve it into something fresh and new to keep up with the times?

The last thing the FPS market needs right now is another gritty, ultra-realistic shooter and if this is your cup of tea(I play a lot of them; buying "Prey" next week), I think you'll find the market is more then willing to accomodate you. So why not have an edgier, stylish option? (You listening Monolith? Give us more "No one lives forever"!)

I absolutely love it when a studio gets enough credability to take a chance and do something unconvetional like this, nay-sayers be damned.

The only thing about this trailer that disappoints is that we'll probably be waiting 4-5 years to see the actual game. But late and good is better then rushed and crap.

harmonic01
07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I absolutely love what I see so far. Really can't wait to play this. I'm also extremely glad Valve went with this style. It's very refreshing and, I think, promises some really fun game play. :thumbsup:

oatz
07-19-2006, 09:22 PM
I think we'll be lucky if they stick to $20 for Ep. II.

Khye

Slurry
07-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Wow, this game looks like a lot of fun! Love the character designs. Superb animation!
Nice to see a studio willing to take chances.

Art

CupOWonton
07-19-2006, 09:59 PM
People who played the original TF and post on SteamPowered seem to be angry that they changed the designs to something more creative and original rather than sticking with semi-realism like HL2 and CS:S. I think its rather premature for people to say something so beautifuly presented is going to SUCK because it doesnt look like the original.
Im hoping that the environments, world physics, and animations within this game all reflect this style we see here before us. This game looks incredibly enjoyable.

07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
As for keeping true to the original TF2 concept: everything cool promised by TF2 has already been done by other games now (it has been 6-7 years), so why wouldn't they evolve it into something fresh and new to keep up with the times?

Instead they'll just slap better graphics on a concept that's 10 years old and call it a day!

Much more original indeed...

TF2 had promised a lot of interesting things that still haven't come to fruition in any game yet. This isn't taking a chance this is just giving up on a good premise and going back to something that's already finished for the most part.

This teaser leaves me with the impression that it's TFC with new graphics and provides me with no inclination whatsoever to acquire the game. If it ever actually releases and they've improved the concept then maybe.

Valve at this point has shattered my hopes in TF2 though.

edit:

I guess on the flip side at least people will start playing it again..

EpShot
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
add me to the ranks of those who are eagerly awaitign this game.

mrwilt
07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Hopefully, that's the way it will look in game. The animation looks fantastic, as well as, the motion blur and fire. The character design reminds me a bit of The Incredibles.

SirRon
07-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Finally!! Though I wish the spy didn't look like a wrestler in a suit. A thin wrestler. Other than that I love the character designs. Backstabing snipers was always my favorite activity :D

AdamHerbert
07-19-2006, 11:50 PM
The teaser trailer looks pretty cool. I really like the style.

But, did anyone watch the gameplay videos on the YouTube link? If that is what the game really looks like talk about being dissapointed.

Here is the videoI'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXf7NBudV6w&mode=related&search=

leuey
07-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Can you honestly not distinguish between the trailer released today and a video from something done in 2001? Never fear - that's some old vid from many years ago. When a real TF2 gameplay video emerges you'll know about it.

-Greg

But, did anyone watch the gameplay videos on the YouTube link? If that is what the game really looks like talk about being dissapointed.

switchblade327
07-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Instead they'll just slap better graphics on a concept that's 10 years old and call it a day!

Much more original indeed...

TF2 had promised a lot of interesting things that still haven't come to fruition in any game yet. This isn't taking a chance this is just giving up on a good premise and going back to something that's already finished for the most part.

That's pretty presumptious to say there's nothing more to TF2 then graphics, don't you think? I didn't see any gameplay in there to judge but Valve doesn't really have the kind of track record that you'd assume it'll be just another deathmatch.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if not, you should know that youtube trailer is 7-8 years old.

Maverick3d
07-20-2006, 12:47 AM
If you notice, the bridge all the characters are standing on is the bridge from 2fort. You get a nice view of the area when the Sniper is taking his shot.

Also I see glimpses of what might be Crossover2 and Rock2.

Here's hoping for Well redux. :thumbsup:

Tonedef
07-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Hopefully, that's the way it will look in game. The animation looks fantastic, as well as, the motion blur and fire. The character design reminds me a bit of The Incredibles.

All of this was ingame, though the motion blur was added in post process but still uses the Source engine. The reason motion blur and DoF are not in real time is because they need video card with an apature cache thingy.

Not sure about the fire though.

EpShot
07-20-2006, 02:41 AM
the one comment i have, is judging from the teaser. once again the flame throwers range is crap :sad:

but who know maybe there will be plenty to compensate. I remember Valve originaly saying they wanted to implement volumetric dynamics, so whiel the range would not be so good out doors, you could fill an entire vent shaft or soemthing. and i'm looking forward to the return of nabalm grenades :scream:

Lordiego01
07-20-2006, 03:31 AM
the only thing cooler than a grenade..

is a granede that explodes into four other granedes.

I cant wait for this.

RockinAkin
07-20-2006, 03:36 AM
the only thing cooler than a grenade..

is a granede that explodes into four other granedes.

Hahahah! YES! - Coolest weapon in gaming history.

I'm with you EpShot - in TFC, the pyro was unfortunatly a very under-powered class.
I hope TF2 fixes that and makes him a bit more of a badass.

Peddy
07-20-2006, 04:11 AM
The only thing about this trailer that disappoints is that we'll probably be waiting 4-5 years to see the actual game. But late and good is better then rushed and crap.
umm its slated for end of year (nov-ish) release? 4-5years is more than a little delay.

I think we'll be lucky if they stick to $20 for Ep. II.

Khye
they are both quoted to be free with episode 2. they may charge if you buy them without episode 2, dunno. even if they increase the price by double (not going to happen) ill still get it easily.

i hear so many people are disappointed with the style, but i personally would have been disappointed had it looked like a next gen cs or something similar. this game cant come out soon enough.

btw, theres also a HD version of the video (well, much better than youtube, and its possibly the same one hosted at fileplanet) at www.gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com)

and the bridge where you see the characters definately isnt 2fort. its probably not a level at all its so small an area.

BooMer86
07-20-2006, 05:47 AM
The Spy looks like monkey

victor
07-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm more excited about Portal (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=11882&type=mov&pl=game).

Maverick3d
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Hahahah! YES! - Coolest weapon in gaming history.

I'm with you EpShot - in TFC, the pyro was unfortunatly a very under-powered class.
I hope TF2 fixes that and makes him a bit more of a badass.

I almost always played as Pyro. The problem with it is the fact that he's meant to maim and not kill. It wouldn't be so bad if TFC awarded points for kill assists. But as it was, if you managed to get the drop on an enemy and flamed them down to low health, some Solider would come along and shoot them at the last second and steal the kill. He was useless for crowd control becuase no one was afraid to run over his napalm grenades; they did so little damage.

The way I see it, the Pyro sould be like a short range version of a Heavy Weapons guy. All the classes should be afraid to get close. If you bumble down the spiral and come face to face with a Pyro, you should be dead.

pixelmonk
07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I almost always played as Pyro. The problem with it is the fact that he's meant to maim and not kill. It wouldn't be so bad if TFC awarded points for kill assists. But as it was, if you managed to get the drop on an enemy and flamed them down to low health, some Solider would come along and shoot them at the last second and steal the kill. He was useless for crowd control becuase no one was afraid to run over his napalm grenades; they did so little damage.

The way I see it, the Pyro sould be like a short range version of a Heavy Weapons guy. All the classes should be afraid to get close. If you bumble down the spiral and come face to face with a Pyro, you should be dead.

oh he could kill. I used to race around people and BBQ them on the spot. As long as you run around your victim like an idiot, he can't get enough shots off to finish you off.

AdamHerbert
07-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if not, you should know that youtube trailer is 7-8 years old.

I was being completley serious. The only TF I've ever played was Quake's, so I'm not really up to date on any of Valve's TF stuff. I didn't think it looked even remotley close to what should be coming out, but it did say Team Fortress 2 on the title so I had to ask.

Icarus
07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
ok, ive got to change my view on things, the style that it has totally rocks, i can imagine some really fun times with this game if they can pull the gameplay off, best of luck to valve and people involved :)

pixelmonk
07-20-2006, 03:54 PM

G

I guess you didn't see the screenshots of the original TF2 build.. they were trying to go for realism. just because there are at least 10 other titles out there that feature that, it doesn't mean another, even better, can't come out. If that were the case, the other 9 shouldn't have come out. I guess Valve was scared of the Battlefield franchise.

Tonedef
07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I guess you didn't see the screenshots of the original TF2 build.. they were trying to go for realism. just because there are at least 10 other titles out there that feature that, it doesn't mean another, even better, can't come out. If that were the case, the other 9 shouldn't have come out. I guess Valve was scared of the Battlefield franchise.

Or maybe they just wanted to do something fun. I HIGHLY doubt they are scared of Battlefield...

I think that this looks really fun and cheeky, nothing wrong with that. Haven't had a game like that come out for PC in a while.

Slurry
07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Any idea when it is scheduled for release? I don't see much about it on their site.

Art

Tonedef
07-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Any idea when it is scheduled for release? I don't see much about it on their site.

Art

Not yet, they just officially announced EP2 and such so I image it will be at least a couple months.

RockinAkin
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
It's supposed to be released with HL2: Episode 2 - which is slated for a Nov-Dec 06 release.
But Valve has been notorious for overshooting release dates.

switchblade327
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
umm its slated for end of year (nov-ish) release? 4-5years is more than a little delay.

Now don't get me wrong: I love Valve. I love everything they've ever done and I love that they're not content to just make awesome games but that they've become a flagship studio for the cause of developer empowerment, showing the development world that studios don't necessarily need to grab their ankles for publishers to get a game done. They've done more for indy developers then any other company I can think of and their support of the mod community is among the best out there.

One thing Valve has rarely if ever done though, is ship when they said they're going to ship. And TF2 is more then a little late already.

But I have no doubt it will rock when it's done.

07-20-2006, 08:18 PM
That's pretty presumptious to say there's nothing more to TF2 then graphics, don't you think? I didn't see any gameplay in there to judge but Valve doesn't really have the kind of track record that you'd assume it'll be just another deathmatch.

What I'm saying is that they've departed from the "brotherhood of arms" angle and have probably decided to fall back on TFC with updated graphics. They may go ahead and add a few other features in which case I'll be pleasantly surprised. As it stands now I have a feeling it's going to be the same game I've been playing since the quake 1 mod so many years ago.

Here's to hoping they keep a few of the concepts alive from the original TF2 as I certainly won't be buying episode 2 on the merits of the episode itself. I can only take so many physics gun gimmick puzzles. If they take TF2 with it's cartoony look and deliver a fresh and interesting take on this nearly 10 year old concept I'll be jazzed as hell.

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2006, 08:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.