PDA

View Full Version : Valve - Portal (video)

innervision961
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
This looks fantastic! Check it out here:

http://files.filefront.com/hl2_ep2_Portal_HighReswmv/;5272086;;/fileinfo.html
(download hi res)

also try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3Qv2tHyfA
(quick stream)

pixelmonk
07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
kinda reminds me of what they're doing in Prey (using doom3 engine, I think).

Boxsmiley
07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Man i love innovative gameplay! What's cool is you have to think about it so you don't get caught in a continual loop.

Telefraggin all over again! :)

erilaz
07-19-2006, 04:44 PM
This is a few posts down:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=382982

jakiloblanco
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Whoa!!! Totally innovative and original for sure!

PhantomDesign
07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
This is about 85% as innovative as the gravity gun, which means it's ****ing innovative! :) Awesome! I'd love to play a game with both the gravity gun and portal gun. Maybe if they added the barnacle weapon (from one of the HL1 expansions) too, that would top it off.

EDIT: That gun is also a gravity gun . . . . interesting.

chadtheartist
07-19-2006, 09:47 PM
A co-worker told me about this a few minutes ago. Looks pretty fun. I don't play games very much anymore, but this one makes me want to.

CupOWonton
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I can just immagine. You could throw objects by putting them in an infinite dropping loop, then toss a new portal at the right moment to send a box flying at 400mph across the room. Granted, this game looks strictly survival based , but I kind of wonder what tricks they have in their traps. Bravo Valve, Between this HL2:E2 and TF2, You are so getting my money.

gabe28
07-19-2006, 11:22 PM
This is just the sort of thing needed to keep 1st person shooters relevant. I know people have their gripes about Valve but I think their games are still pushing the genre forward when so many other companies keep giving us the same old games with prettier graphics.

Arrghman
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
As was said in the other thread, don't forget to check out Narbacular Drop (http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/narbaculardrop.htm) which was made by the guys who were apparently hired by Valve to work on Portal. No gravity gun and dated graphics, but the portal system works the same.

JeroenDStout
07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
As was said in the other thread, don't forget to check out Narbacular Drop (http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/narbaculardrop.htm) which was made by the guys who were apparently hired by Valve to work on Portal. No gravity gun and dated graphics, but the portal system works the same.
Narbacular Drop is a game where an ingenious concept is slain in a mess of a bad engine and even worse textures... so Portal really gets my hopes up. It's bloody brilliant.

Peddy
07-20-2006, 04:17 AM
Narbacular Drop is a game where an ingenious concept is slain in a mess of a bad engine and even worse textures... so Portal really gets my hopes up. It's bloody brilliant.

narbacular drop isnt about the graphics. valve certainly didnt seem to care about the 'mess' enough to not hire them to help make Portal

MrPositive
07-20-2006, 06:27 AM
I can't wait until I get to that 'one part' where I'm stuck for a century. Still looks like a blast though....

JDPinto
07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
This game looks sweeeeeeeeeeet. Can't wait to waste away my time playing around with this thing. Definetely very innovative.

LOL I love the freaky computer voice.
"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."
"Remember our motto. There's a hole in the sky, through which things can fly."

JeroenDStout
07-20-2006, 12:05 PM
narbacular drop isnt about the graphics. valve certainly didnt seem to care about the 'mess' enough to not hire them to help make Portal
No, Valve, like I, saw that the principle was great. And the game wasn't about graphics, but that's hardly an excuse; the game could, relatively easy, have been made more pretty if some arty-person would've been involved.

victor
07-20-2006, 01:03 PM
No, Valve, like I, saw that the principle was great. And the game wasn't about graphics, but that's hardly an excuse; the game could, relatively easy, have been made more pretty if some arty-person would've been involved....which is what they are doing now.

Arrghman
07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
No, Valve, like I, saw that the principle was great. And the game wasn't about graphics, but that's hardly an excuse; the game could, relatively easy, have been made more pretty if some arty-person would've been involved.

Narbarcular is pretty clearly a tech demo proof of concept for portals. That's not an excuse, it's just what it's supposed to be.

JeroenDStout
07-20-2006, 05:24 PM
And that's why it was, as a game, slain - the concept is nice, but I find the game itself horrible to play. So I'm glad Valve picked them up. For a techdemo it was nice. For something 'playable', it was in the range of "oh have mercy".

Tonedef
07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
And that's why it was, as a game, slain - the concept is nice, but I find the game itself horrible to play. So I'm glad Valve picked them up. For a techdemo it was nice. For something 'playable', it was in the range of "oh have mercy".

I don't know...I have heard many people who liked it and just looked at the graphics as outdated, but likeable. And Portal is just part of the games lifecycle.

noisewar
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Now that is a interesting weapon. The *grabity* gun had so much potential... but ended up rather vanilla. I look forward to portals =D

Lunatique
07-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I really liked it. It seems a simple concept, but towards the end of the video, you realize just how deep it can be when implemented into gameplay--especially during fierce multiplayer combat. You have to really think on your feet (or while you're in the air!), and constantly watch your step because you could fall through a portal if your enemy shoots it under your feet.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2006, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.